Author Topic: Shuggy met Julie at the Asian Art Museum of SF, 9/1  (Read 4772 times)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Shuggy met Julie at the Asian Art Museum of SF, 9/1
« on: September 01, 2006, 01:20:47 am »
..where we had about 2 hours' conversauion..which was like magic for me, like it is whenever I get to talk to a fellow-Brokie in person. He photographed  the cover of my New Yorker, and also me giving an architecture tour--which he made perfectly clear, afterwards,. he could have done a muich better job of than I did  (without meaning to). I spent a fair amound of time listening to stories about Shuggy and Tim, which is great...since I don't have anyone to tell stories about.. We didn't gert into any fights about Brokeback. He told me a quote I snuck into th Vintage Baseball Card Forum (I LOVE doing that!) was actually from Annie Proulx,, not Osana and McMurtry...a good time was had by 2. I Hope! At least one.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Shuggy met Julie at the Asian Art Museum of SF, 9/1
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 01:40:20 am »
Julie, when I was with Shuggy on Monday, he told me how much he was looking forward to getting together with you.  I'm glad it was fun.  Clarissa

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 06:45:21 pm »
It WAS fun. Thanks TwistedDude. You sure know the Museum/Library. (I'm in the new library now.) I'll go into more detail when I get home. Time's running out here. Never enough time, never enough.

Hugs
Shugs

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 02:40:20 am »
So now I have some more time, because I'm at a friend's place in Berkeley and I can use her Mac (and my email works and I can sort out a job interview for next week  :) ! )

Yes, it was great to meet Julie, who is a much more dedicated Brokie than I am and goes into the finest of detail. Then I went on her architectural tour. The old library/Asian Art Museum certainly is an interesting building, and TD knows it well. (I was a bit of a teacher's pet on the tour. The other three docees seemed a bit staid. I had to smile when I stayed back photographing artworks and heard her voice floating through the corridors: "Shu - gee!") We had another coffee afterwards, so it was something like 2 1/2 hours together.

(That morning I had been to the Palace of the Legion of Hono{u}r to see the Monets, which jump out at you wonderfully if you can only stand far enough away. With the crowds there, that wasn't always possible. And the previous day, to the de Young, so I'm quite museumed out.)

Afterwards I went into the City Hall and asked if the place where Harvey Milk was shot is marked. (Harvey Milk - first openly gay supervisor - = city counciller - elected in SF, activist, shot by a redneck rival along with the Mayor) The first guard had no idea, the second said, "That was YEARS ago!" I said "So? This is history." Then to the Rainbow Toastmasters at the LGBT Cent[re] with PTallen. An excellent confidence-building exercise, without the pretensions of the likes of R*t*ry. I made a short speech, but since I was a guest it didn't get evaluated. Good practice, though. Pete and his David have been wonderful hosts. This morning we went to  breakfast at the Crepevine (all these punny shop names, that Armistead Maupin sent up so well with "Plant Parenthood"). <Homer> Mm, pancakes </Homer>, I could get fat.

Then I went to Castro and Market and got, I hope, a good picture of the street sign, the huge flag over the Harvey Mik Plaza, and the towers over Twin Peaks looking like a galleon. It's hard to catch the flag unfurled, the cloud at the right level and no streetcar in the way.

Another of the mural over Milk's old camera shop (a trompe l'oeil [deceive the eye - false perspective, imitation of reality] window with HM standing looking down and saying "You gotta give them hope") and the view down the street from there. I might put one on the front, and the other on the back of garments.

I went down to the new library (where I wrote the above) and saw the wonderful ceiling of the GLBT centre there. More trompe l'oeil  on the ceiling of a dome being built and inscribed with the names of famous gay people. Inspiring.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:53:51 am by Shuggy »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:17:54 pm »
Well the good news is that I didn't lose any pictures (eg those of Julie). The bad news is that my camera seems to have been stolen. Right after going to the new library, I went to Walgreens to download to disc. Then I got a tram (streetcar) up Market back to Pete's. Now my camera isn't in my bag and Pete can't find it at his place. I think it's insured, but I lost one on the plane two years ago and replaced it with the same insurance company, so they might think I'm  a bad risk. So no pictures from Berkeley.

A picture I'm sorry not  to have: a big sign in the centre of Oakland saying
 "THERE"
- a rebuttal, I think to Gertrude Stein, who said of Oakland, "There's no there there."

I spoke to Sascha last night and this morning but we may not be able to get together because her car battery has been going flat. One more window of opportunity tomorrow morning. I'm going back to The City in the afternoon to a Bears' gathering - they've renamed Harrison St "Hairrison St". (I'm not really  a Bear, not even a shuggy one.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 11:30:31 pm by Shuggy »

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 09:44:36 am »
Harvey Milk was shot in Dan White's (the asassin's) old office (-he'd asked Harvey to come there with him, though he shot Moscone, the mayor,  in the sitting room behind Moscone's own office.) on Monday, November 27, 1978. that night, Dianne Feinstein gave a short speech on the steps of City Hall, saying "this great bright jewel of a city is darkened."

I've had Mike Weiss' book about the double killing, "Double Play" among my baseball books in the front bookcase since it was written in 1984. I put it there, wondering who weould be the first to notice the non=baseball book among the baseball books. Nobody ever has.
Weiss thought the title "Double Play" reflected something of the childish and twisted mind of Dan White, who later committed suicide.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 09:47:22 am by twistedude »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 08:18:59 pm »
Shuggy here:

I'm at Pete's computer but I can't seem to log in as Shuggy.

I've just been to the Bear Fair at Hairrison St. Picked up some nice schwag for presents for friends back home, had one or two nice conversations, but mainly walking round looking at guys standing round.

I'm just about to walk down to BART at 16th and Mission to go to the airport. I'm quite travel weary, but it's been a joy to meet Clarissa and Julie, to stay with Pete and David, and talk on the phone to Melissa and SFeric.

Hugs
Shugs
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 06:26:09 pm »
Back home. I've got a heap of mail to catch up, a stack of pictures to edit, but I thought it would be nice to put up the four most germane:

1. Ellemeno's picture of me and the Fremont Troll (a composite - too much contrast to use except as a record). My camera filled up, so I have no others. You maybe can't see that the Troll is holding a VW and I am trying to open the boot (bonnet actually, since it's a VW).

2.The drawbridge on the way to SeaTac that gave Elle and me longer together. I have a pic of Elle but she doesn't want it to go online.

3. TwistedDude doing the docent thing.

4. Pete at the SF LGBT centre just before or after Toastmasters. I seem to have focussed on the handsome man at the counter. Because my camera was taken, I never got a good one of Pete and Dave.  :'(
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 06:51:12 pm by Shuggy »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 07:10:51 pm »
Oh and two more:

1. The Proclamation that Pete got the Mayor to make.
2. Julie's copy of the original New Yorker cover. I have covered up a bit of obtrusion in one corner.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:20:09 pm by Shuggy »

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 04:46:03 am »
And if people want to print out their own copy of the proclamation, I have cleaned it up and put it  up as a word.doc at Movie Resources.

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 06:43:28 am »
Mayor Newsom(e)?

I just saw the Troll recently in a movie - 10 Things I Hate About You, I think. No, Lords of Dogtown. It was Lords of Dogtown. That would make more since since Ten Things was supposed to be in Washington. (Since I didn't know who Heath Ledger was until BBM I'm now making up for lost time by buying all his movies from Amazon Marketplace!) Interesting to know that it really exists and wasn't just something that was a movie prop.

Interesting time you had, Julie and Shuggy. You California Brokies seem to get together a lot for quickies. That's a nice situation to have available. My first ever get-together will be in Boston, coming right up!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the news.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 04:57:44 pm »
Mayor Newsom(e)?
Its spelt without an e twice on the proclamation, which he has signed.

Interesting time you had, Julie and Shuggy. You California Brokies seem to get together a lot for quickies. That's a nice situation to have available.
I am a New Zealand Brokie. My gettogethers with Julie and Clarissa were all we could fit in. Never enough time, never enough.

Thanks for the kind words, though.

(When I try to type a / or ' here using Firefox, it jumps to the search box. Anyone know how to overcome that, without reverting to Internet Explorer, as I have now?)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:28:58 pm by Shuggy »

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 05:15:59 pm »
Thanks for postin the Proclaimation, Shuggy!  :)

Pete
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?