Author Topic: BBM Therapy  (Read 9060 times)

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
BBM Therapy
« on: April 02, 2006, 11:22:55 pm »
So Celeste and I were chatting and got on the topic of how, and why, we have been so affected by this movie, and our inexplicable devotion to it and our fellow Brokies and decided to share as a form of therapy.  Enjoy!

[21:29] yaadpyar: Andrew, friend.  After spending time away from CT with friends and family, I realize how deeply pronounced my BBM problem is.
[21:29] yaadpyar: I actually want to tell stories about cute posts and the new board and things that remind me of BBM...
[21:30] littledarlin: and do you think that's good or bad
[21:32] yaadpyar: It concerns me a lot that I am so connected to this movie and friends, etc.  I don't know - are you the same?  What do you think?
[21:32] littledarlin: well, i have a difficult time articulating exactly what it is about things that move me
[21:33] littledarlin: so to everyone else i'm very "oh i love it"
[21:33] littledarlin: but i usually keep my real feelings private
[21:33] littledarlin: not out of shame or guilt or anything, just because i can't really explain it
[21:33] yaadpyar: Yeah - but this stuff just slips out of me without my realizing it
[21:33] yaadpyar: You seem very self-contained, but equally thoughtful and sincere
[21:34] yaadpyar: I can't remember putting the kind of time and energy into anything that I put into this last week, and it puzzles me a lot.
[21:34] littledarlin: i think it's the power of the internet, really
[21:35] littledarlin: the detachment
[21:35] yaadpyar: how so?
[21:35] littledarlin: the convenience
[21:35] littledarlin: well could you imagine organizing something like this in real life?
[21:36] yaadpyar: I don't like it that this isn't "real life"...
[21:36] yaadpyar: Speaking of which - how do you feel about the DVD party thing?
[21:37] littledarlin: i'd love to go
[21:37] littledarlin: has any progress been made
[21:37] littledarlin: other than we should have a dvd party
[21:37] littledarlin: lol
[21:38] yaadpyar: not that I know of...the Chicago group can certainly get-together.  But it's a bit of a big deal for others to come.
[21:38] yaadpyar: Jenny's up for it, which is sweet.
[21:38] littledarlin: yeah there was a thread
[21:39] yaadpyar: I looked at it a little while ago, but it's hard to get consensus from folks all around the world!
[21:39] littledarlin: yep
[21:39] littledarlin: sorry to backtrack,  but to add on to our addiction
[21:39] littledarlin: i just thought of something
[21:40] littledarlin: if we weren't doing this, like if we didn't have the imdb boards or whatever
[21:40] littledarlin: do you think we would've been better off?
[21:40] littledarlin: seeing bbm and not being able to connect to other people who felt the same way
[21:41] littledarlin: i think i probably would've lost my mind, because everyone i know liked it, but no one was really moved by it like this
[21:41] yaadpyar: Mind if I share my philosophy a bit?  I feel like we were/are a community of souls who are connected somehow, and BBM was the catalyst to bring us into overt community.
[21:42] yaadpyar: We have connected in real-life ways.  Y'know - you and I have actually met.  And I've PMd and e-mailed and spoken with a number of others on a pretty deep and personal level.
[21:42] yaadpyar: The Inet has been a wonderful way for us to come together, but there's something pretty real here as well.
[21:43] yaadpyar: I think BBM emerged in all of us something similar - and it's why we've become instant friends and real support for something we seem to uniquely understand.
[21:44] littledarlin: i like that theory, i agree with you
[21:44] yaadpyar: I don't think we're just computer geeks looking for on-line fun.
[21:44] littledarlin: right
[21:44] littledarlin: absolutely
[21:45] littledarlin: i think the devotion part spurs from wanting to maintain that connection
[21:45] littledarlin: that's how i am anyway, i felt desperate to defend it
[21:45] littledarlin: which is why, surrounded by boxes, exhausted, having to get up for work in the morning, i'm sitting here going back and forth between talking to you and editing the archive site
[21:46] littledarlin: it doesn't feel tedious or anything, it just feels like something i want to, and have to do
[21:46] yaadpyar: I wouldn't do this to you in person probably, but on-line...BIG hug!
[21:46] littledarlin: lol back at ya
[21:47] yaadpyar: I was so done with IMDb and the trolls and everything...ready to stop posting.  And then I threw myself in the middle of everything last week full-force (like Ennis), like I knew I could and would make things better and nothing was going to stop me
[21:47] yaadpyar: Can't remember a time in my entire life when I felt that.
[21:48] yaadpyar: I'm really curious about how open and committed and communicative I am here - I just don't invest myself in anyone/anything this way...
[21:48] littledarlin: yes, that aspect bothers me too
[21:48] littledarlin: because i get that little voice in my head every so often
[21:48] littledarlin: telling me all of the other things i could be doing
[21:49] yaadpyar: We need a BBM therapy thread, but I don't think we'll actually get anywhere!
[21:49] littledarlin: people are dying in iraq.. gotta update the archive..  animals are being needlessly slaughtered... gotta refresh CT..  i could go to city hall and demand equal rights... but theres a 1:20 showing of bbm
[21:50] yaadpyar: LOL
[21:50] yaadpyar: OMG - you should post that on the CT board - you will have everyone laughing

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 05:33:15 pm by YaadPyar »
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline littledarlin

Re: BBM Therapy
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 11:50:08 pm »
Please continue the conversation everyone/anyone...  Is this real life here?  Phillip has dedicated an entire website (and it seems his life) to this same stuff, so it looks pretty real to me. 

LOVE, Celeste

lol maybe you had to be there.  and uh... we're not sleeping yet!!!!

<3

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 11:54:51 pm »
Uhhh - yes I am.  I'm in bed sleeping right now.  Why do you think I'm not.  Maybe we should delete this thread and keep this wonderful chat between us.  Sorry - snoring while I'm typing...!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 11:59:54 pm »
Haha, I'm ROFLing because it's so true. (Hey! Have you two been going on fishin' trips without me? Don't make me put a note in your creel case!)

Yeah, I totally find myself wanting to tell people about the hilarious things that get posted, but sadly, no one gets it. The people I would tell would be all of you, but um, you were all there...

Even though I don't get anything done anymore and am kinda behind on some school work, I'm much better off from having found the boards/all of you. Before I found them, I really didn't know what was wrong with me and why I was still thinking about the movie. It didn't even occur to me at first that other people would feel the same. Now I know I'm not crazy! (Well, that's debatable...)

Yes! DVD party! I don't know where, but I REALLY want to have one!

LOL...got homework to catch up on...gotta read Jeff's new story...paper to write...gotta get rid of all those little 'new' symbols...

Offline littledarlin

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 12:03:06 am »
Haha, I'm ROFLing because it's so true. (Hey! Have you two been going on fishin' trips without me? Don't make me put a note in your creel case!)

omg courtney, i just spit water all over my monitor!  that don't mean nothin' courtney.

naw i just been working on the archive and celeste has been working on this here forum.  we should get together though, even if it's not a huge meet up, maybe just the three of us and whoever else can make it can get together and watch the dvd. 

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 12:05:16 am »
Don't try and fool me no more Andrew! Yaadpyar? Yaad Nasty!

Offline littledarlin

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 12:10:13 am »

lol omg thanks i needed that.

do you have yahoo messenger courtney?  since i won't be getting 40 winks anytime soon i might as well sign back on.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 12:13:34 am »
I don't have yahoo messenger but I have an extra blanket. You'll freeze your ass off when that fire dies down.

Who are we kidding, I'm not going to sleep either. Maybe I'll wander on over to yahoo and see about that. Well, after I refresh CT again of course.... ;)

Offline newyearsday

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • ponygirl
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 01:02:25 am »
I don't have yahoo messenger but I have an extra blanket. You'll freeze your ass off when that fire dies down.

Who are we kidding, I'm not going to sleep either. Maybe I'll wander on over to yahoo and see about that. Well, after I refresh CT again of course.... ;)

RMFAO!!! Courtney, you slay me! I loved reading that thread. this thread. God, it's so true, so many things you guys said. I feel like getting on the phone NOW with someone, but I have to be in bed!! I was sick today sort of, and now it;s almost 1 am, I gotta go to work at 8:15...but here I am.

I think that even though it's taken me away from my job search and developing my business, this community is one of the best things to happen to me in years. I really put it right up there with my grad school experience...I feel as committed to the boards--you all, the archives, and t-shirt project as I did to my MA thesis! Which took a lot out of me, but I also loved the passion I had.

But you guys are WAAAAAY more fun than that. I laugh so hard here everyday. That would NOT be happening in my other, former life.

So, no one in my life gets it, when I laugh if someone says "I don't know" or "100 percent." I'm getting tired of my brother looking at me all crazy when I tell him how I've seen it 12 times. I don't know what to say when my family says to me, "so what are your plans for the rest of the day?" I can't tell them, "Oh, I'll probably spend 7 or 8  hours online talking with my new friends about Brokeback, and I'm seeing it again tonight..."

And god, it's so true...I hear about all the awful news in the world and I can't bring myself to pay any attention. Jack and Ennis' tragedy is enough for me to focus on in terms of sorrow, and the beauty of the community here is the joy in my life....for how long, who knows. But I think we all feel like it's pretty special. I think the internet, like a lot of forms of writing, has made it easier for us to open up about things than we would have otherwise done in person. but we would never have met in person if it weren't for the internet. And now with all the persecution from trolls, plus just how deeply the movie has affected all of us, I think we are growing closer and closer as a community.

There is nothing like the fun and ease of doing all this socializing from our own homes....but it's real too, you know? I mean, we are really talking on the phone and meeting in person....we aren't just losers with no lives.

Thanks for sharing you guys. now off to bed (but first I gotta check on the 123 game!)

Love,

Jenny
Revelationtees--wear them for good. Profits go to the Matthew Shepard Foundation: www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.com & www.revelationtees.spreadshirt.net (for EU)
"One life, with each other..."

Offline littledarlin

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 01:14:03 am »
I think the internet, like a lot of forms of writing, has made it easier for us to open up about things than we would have otherwise done in person. but we would never have met in person if it weren't for the internet.

you got it, jenny.  that's exactly it. 

off to bed.  serously.  :'(

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 01:30:53 am »
Yep Jenny, that's it. Are you really going to come see us Chicagoans? I hope you can make it!

Good night Andrew. Remember: extra blanket....

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 11:35:31 am »

OMG Court - you are too much for me...  ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;)

:angel:
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 11:47:00 am »
Thanks for sharing this, all you guys.  There's nothing more I can add, but ditto.  :)
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 12:26:44 pm »
I feel like we were/are a community of souls who are connected somehow, and BBM was the catalyst to bring us into overt community.

Yeehaw.  Thanks for starting this thread, Celeste and Andrew.  :angel:

There is a special kind of emotional satisfaction that comes from sharing feelings with online friends.  There's a freedom and sympathy and playfulness and joy that springs from being unfettered by the physical/temporal limits of "real life" friendships.  You can go to the well at any time and drink deep and be renewed.  Lovely!

I didn't know the joys of this before "The Fellowship of the Ring" smacked me upside the head and sent me looking online for someone to talk to about it.  I've made good friends in that fandom and have traveled many places and expanded my life incredibly as a result.  A few of those pals also have the Brokeback gene, and we've had a lot of great discussions about Our Boys, too.  Because of them I sought out imdb and found y'all.  It's all good.

I'm glad to be living in a time when technology allows this communing with kindred spirits from all over the world.  And I'm doubly glad that "Brokeback Mountain" was filmed now, so that its message and beauty can be shared so widely. 

Someone just mentioned on another thread that Ang Lee said some stories wait patiently to be told and then make themselves happen when the time is right.  He is a wise, wise man!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 12:29:11 pm »

Someone just mentioned on another thread that Ang Lee said some stories wait patiently to be told and then make themselves happen when the time is right.  He is a wise, wise man!  :-*

Yeehaw, indeed!  Salutations to the high Priestess...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 12:42:04 pm »
Thanks for sharing this, you guys. Frankly, I often wonder about the depth of my devotion to BBM. I mean, I love the movie completely. I think about it constantly. I watch the good YouTube videos over and over. I enjoy spending time on these boards. But ...

... what is it with me that I have spent two and a half MONTHS thinking constantly -- and I do mean constantly -- about a movie that only lasts 134 minutes? Two and a half YEARS from now, do I really want to be thinking constantly about the same 134 minutes of celluloid? If not, how do I get from point A to point B?

I feel very Ennis-like about all this. My love is genuine, but it kind of freaks me out. Some of you more Jack-like people may be impatient with my self-doubting attitude, but there it is. It's a goddam bitch of an unsatisfactory situation, because what do I do about it? Move to Wyoming and start a little cow-and-calf operation?   :-\ :-\ :-\

Anyway, I'm so happy to know you guys and remember that I'm not the only one who's like this.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2006, 01:14:55 pm »
DOn't worry too much about it latjoreme. We're not missing a whole lot out there. Every once in a whale, I turn on the radio or TV or pick up a newspaper but then I put it down again fast (as if I touched fire!) before the world can intrude. I'm sure I'm not the only 1 here who actually dreams about BBM (...sometimes the pillow, sometimes the sheets...) and the movie/board/my life has gotten mixed up together in such a way that it is as inextricable as two herds of sheep. I'm sure people will look back at this passage of my life and say I left some strays up on Brokeback mountain, and furthermore, some of the woolies I now carry around in my head never went up there w/me in the first place, but I have no regrets. I'll hang around w/you fellow Brokies for as long as we can ride em!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »
Now that all that sillyness from last night is out of my system (for now anyway), ahem...

You all have a much better way with words than I do, so I'll keep it brief. I usually don't feel comfortable sharing personal feelings with people. Basically only my mom, my dad (depending what it's about), and my best friend. However, there are things that I don't even feel comfortable talking to them about that I've discussed here. This whole internet community thing is new to me. At first I shared things because of the annonymity (sp?) factor (I'll never meet these people, who cares what they know about me?) But now that I have met a couple (love you guys!) I REALLY want to meet more. For all of us here, there is no way for us to understand ALL of what any other person has been through, but we all have sort of a common denominator of what we CAN all understand. No one in my life gets this thing that grabs hold of me besides you lovely folks. And for that I thank you. I love my time spent with you.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 02:35:57 pm »
Still ridin' em!! There ain't no reins on this one!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:32 pm »
I love to reread this xchange sometimes, so BUMP, for y'all. Love when Andrew said, "it just feels like something i want to, and have to do." That is xactly the way it is for me, too.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 11:46:00 pm »
Lee -- thanks for the bump -- this is a great read!  :)

(and "Yaad Nasty??!!"  HILARIOUS...  :laugh: :laugh:  ) -- Alec
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 12:09:06 am by alec716 »
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 11:49:42 pm »
You're welcome. The world is scary out there! Best to stay in here, where it's safe, warm, and friendly.

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 12:08:35 am »
No kidding the world is scary... I have even heard that there are people out there who are not obsessed with BBM!   :o  YIKES!!  ;) 
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 07:01:47 pm »
Aww, this was fun to see again. Thanks for the bump!  :)

vkm91941

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 08:24:19 pm »
A few of us have recently gone over to IMBD and posted a little.  Amazing the number of people there who still remember old monikers and names.  I was touched by some of the comments long time posters made to me. and that I was even recognized since I changed my moniker...but the little green smilies with the wave gives me away I'm told.  I  even join a few of our BM friends and  posted a memory or two on PT
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:26:07 pm by Victoria »