Author Topic: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today  (Read 31724 times)

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
Re: "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Killed Today
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2006, 07:10:54 pm »
WOW!  That poem was just wonderful.  I'm passing it on to all of my friends.  Thanks so much for sharing - I probably wouldn't have found it on my own.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2006, 03:06:23 am »
Souxi........thank you for posting that poem "The Crocodiles are Crying".....

While it made the tears flow once again, it also gave me the words, that I have been trying to say, myself.

The author of that poem Rupert McCall, is a wonderful Australian poet, he writes poems on many topical and sentimental things that are Australian.He has brought many a tear to those who have read his poems, or listened to them on cd's, as well as some humour......he always seems to find a way, of mixing that humour with the utmost respect to whoever or whatever he is writing about.

Most of his poems are obviously more relevant to us Aussies, but I know this one, about Steve, is a reflection, of what all the world is feeling and thinking today....I hadnt seen or heard of the poem, until I saw it here this morning....someone from the other side of the world, sending me a poem, written by an aussie, about an aussie...thank you.

You are very welcome Katie, it,s the least I could do. I know I live over here in the UK, but, like I said, he was a bloody good bloke. I liked him. He lit up the screen..with that smile, and that enthusiasm. He did a lot on discovery kids and made learning about the animals fun for the kids. I cannot even begin to imagine what his poor wife and children must be going through. Is there a website anywhere with a condolence book you can sign? I know sometimes you can do that when a person dies. If there is I,d like to sign it. Bless ya heart Steve..look after them crocs eh?  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:05:31 am by souxi »

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2006, 04:08:09 am »
Hi Souixi, didnt realize you were from the UK, thought you were probably from US....

I think they have set up a condolence book at the Australian Embassy in London....dont know if that is near to you....I went into the Yahoo website and sent a message, that was all I could think of to do.....

Steve's Zoo is only and hour and a half drive from where I live, and it has turned into a shrine, of messages and flowers, the car park at the zoo has been taken over with all these things.....they were expecting even more visitors there over the weekend....I have been tempted to go there, but I have not done so....he pops into my head all the time, and of course the thought of his dear family so sad, breaks my heart.

Steve was a humble man, and television shows he made, was a way of not only getting people aware of animals, it was also a way of getting enough money to carry on his work for conservation...he did not live in a big flash house, actually the house he lived in, is the same house he grew up in, which is on the grounds of the zoo....he had all the animals for neighbours, which I'm sure, was the way Steve preferred anyway....

A good bloke, who had so much more to do, but I am sure he had plenty of people working with him, who will carry on his work....

The legacy of Steve Irwin, will live on.......

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2006, 04:12:40 am »
Is there a website anywhere with a concolence book you can sign? I know sometimes you can do that when a person dies. If there is I,d like to sign it.

Yes there is souxi, the Queensland state government has created one at http://www.qld.gov.au/announcements/steve_irwin.html.

Steve Irwin's Tragic Death

On Monday 4 September 2006, Steve Irwin died tragically while filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in Far North Queensland.  A champion for wildlife and for the environment, Steve made an enormous difference to Queensland and to Australia.  His achievements in promoting tourism and a greater understanding of our natural environment were outstanding.  His loss will be felt by all those who followed his extraordinary passion for his work and his life.  You can send a message of sympathy and support and this will be passed on to Steve's family.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:18:19 am by Aussie Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2006, 07:02:04 am »
I was really shocked and saddened by this. I'm a huge fan of Australian films and got interested in him because of the whole Croc Dundee thing. I have to confess to not liking the amount he interfered with the reptiles he filmed sometimes, but I was humbled by his passion and commitment to them and their survival. I always got the impression that he and Terri were real soulmates and can't imagine what she and their kids are going through right now. RIP Steve, you were a bonzer bloke!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 07:05:44 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2006, 07:36:54 am »
I saw a story on STeve and Terri last night, made some time ago, where she told how she met Steve........

As you know, Terri is an American lady, and her passion in America, had been for the preservation of cougars.....She had come to Australia, back in the late 80's, to visit the zoos here, and to try to get homes at those zoos, for cougars who faced destruction in the US......

She told, how she was driving north up the Bruce Highway, about an hour or so, out of Brisbane (the capitol of Queensland), when she saw a tiny little sign, saying "Australia Zoo"......as fate would have it, she headed in the direction of this zoo, and she met up with Steve and his family, and as they say, the rest is history.

At the time, this little zoo, was just a very small reptile park, known about, by only a few people who, too, had turned at that little sign....but at that place she found not only someone that offered her help with her plight of the cougars, she also found a wonderful bloke called Steve...They married in 1992 and spent their honeymoon croc hunting.......of course they took a movie camera along with them, and one of the things that they filmed, was Steve rescuing a distressed crocodile, who had got bogged in some thick mud, and was no doubt going to die in it.....Steve risked life and limb to actually put a rope around the croc, push it single handedly into a little boat, and take it to safer waters.

Absolutely outstanding.....and to say  Terri and Steve are soul mates, is quite an understatement, I dont think there is a word that would describe the mutual admiration for each other, the same understandings of the wildlife and needs for conservation, and the love for their two little children....

Australia and the world, have broken hearts, for the sadness that is with that family at the moment.....

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2006, 08:56:59 pm »
They're doing a retrospective on Steve Irwin's life right now on Animal Planet.  Wished I'd caught it sooner so I could record it.

Steve Irwin in his own words.  The birth of his baby son was enough to drive anyone to tears.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2006, 08:58:37 am »
Did anyone read about all those sting rays that were slaughtered? ffs poor Steve would be heartbroken. They think it,s some kind of sick "revenge" killing. For christs sake it was a terrible accident. Steve certainly wouldnt want that and neither would his family. Last I read they,d found 10..two with their long tails sliced off. Isnt this sad enough without this? It, just makes things worse.  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Katie77

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2006, 09:50:08 am »
Yes, I saw it on the news last night, about the sting rays being killled......i was absolutely discusted as no doubt Steve would have been too.....

Its bloody idiots like that, who did that, that Steve was trying to make realize, that all living creatures have the right to be respected and treated properly.....

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2006, 02:48:45 pm »
I've just seen a news bulletin about it here in the UK. Are these people THICK or something?? They claim to be fans of Steve and yet seem to know nothing of him at all, or at least they have no respect for what he stood for (and how much this will upset his family even more). IDIOTS!!! >:(
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!