Author Topic: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)  (Read 151730 times)

Offline Momof2

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • BLISS
Re: getting hit hard by offhand revelations (story discussion)
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2006, 12:48:49 pm »
I also do not think Ennis was bi.  I think the reason that he did not enjoy Alma and Cassie is for the simple fact that he loved Jack and simply did not want to have sex with them.  As far as Jack, I think he had sex with Lureen because that is what he thought he was supposed to do.  When he told Ennis that their marriage could be handled over the phone I think that pretty much sums it up. 

As I mentioned before, one of my best friends was married to a man that was gay.  He married her to keep his family off of his back and because it was expected of him.  They had sex a few times while dating.  Which I thought was odd because when I met my husband we were in our early 20's and that is all we wanted to do.  Once engaged they did not have sex until they were married (about 6 mos).  Then after that, sex pretty much ended.  She of course thought it was her.   She did everything to get him interested.  Finally one night after years of heartache he told her that he was not interested in having sex with her becasue he was not sexually attracted to her.  A few months later, he told her he was gay.  He had been having sex the whole time they were married with another married friend of theirs.  A lot of lives were devastated because of it.  She remarried a few years ago and he did to.  To another woman. 

I believe they kissed on the mountain.  Kissing to me is one of the most intimate/erotic parts of sex.

But perhaps Story Ennis's issues arise merely from the misfortune of the only real love in his life being a man.     I agree totally with this.  I do not think Ennis went up on BB thinking or knowing he was gay. I think his misfortune was that he fell in love with a man and knew that it was "wrong" and not acceptable.  In the reunion scene at the motel, when Jack asks him what are we going to do know and Ennis tells him I dont expect there is nothing we can do.  I am stuck with what I got here.  My heart breaks and I want to cry. 
I wish I knew how to quit you.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2006, 01:47:32 pm »
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Chrissi and Meryl and Lee and momof2! I was playing devil's advocate with mlewis back there. I think he/she has a really good point, and the more I think about it, the more I think he/she's probably right about the story.

Back before the movie came out except in festivals, somebody on Wranglers actually argued that the reunion kiss might have been so intense precisely because it was the first time they had actually kissed. (The person on Wranglers was pretty much torn to pieces for even suggesting that possibility; some people had already seen the movie, and some people had already written fanfic, and I think most people were very attached to the image of Jack and Ennis kissing, and kissing a lot, that existed in their minds. Which, you know, I can't really blame them for...)

Chrissi (Penthesilea)'s quote:
...and easily as the right key turns the lock tumblers, their mouths came together, and hard, Jack's big teeth bringing blood, his hat falling to the floor, stubble rasping, wet salvia welling, ...

There's something about "the right key turning the lock tumblers" that, hmmm, maybe suggests to me that this was a new discovery. And the intensity could be the result of both the four-year separation and the repression of the urge to kiss on the mountain.

Because kissing really is something special, something emotionally intimate. So I understand why people want to believe that they kissed on the mountain, and I understand why Ang Lee (or whoever, but I suspect it was Ang) decided that the movie needed something like the 2nd tent scene. But the way I read story-Ennis, he's a real mess. I don't buy the argument that story-Ennis is focused on his external fears; I think that the Inner Parent that Meryl describes was just as much of a force in story-Ennis's life as he was for movie-Ennis. So I think that Ennis may very well have avoided kissing in the midst of all that rough, quick, laughing-and-snorting sex... because that would have meant acknowledging that he was queer. And he couldn't do that; he experienced the emotions in strange, metaphorical ways, as a "head-long, irreversible fall" and as a need to puke.

And I think I've read some guys saying that, yes, denial can be like that, that there are guys who will avoid kissing to avoid recognizing that they are gay. I'm not a gay man, though, so I can't speak from my own experience.

One other thing about characterizing Ennis. I've been thinking about that Motel Siesta scene in the book, because I'm re-reading another of my favorite books and thinking about how books can handle exposition in ways that movies can't. The Motel Siesta scene felt right to me when I first read the story, but a lot of people have talked about how out of character it would have been for movie-Ennis to say all the things that story-Ennis says, and how that's evidence that movie-Ennis has a much more internal battle than story-Ennis does. And, you know... a character like Ennis is pretty darn hard to portray in words. I mean, here you've got this guy who either isn't very aware of his emotions, or who hates his most beautiful emotions so much that he beats himself up over them. And on top of that, he's from a culture of few words. So how on earth do you go about telling a story about a guy like that, and telling it in a way that works emotionally? Not just coming out and explaining Ennis, like we keep trying to do, but make people feel what it's like to be Ennis?

So maybe Annie Proulx erred on the side of too many words. But, well, she didn't have Heath Ledger's acting to carry the story for her. No wonder she was so knocked out by his performance!
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2006, 06:59:06 pm »
There's something about "the right key turning the lock tumblers" that, hmmm, maybe suggests to me that this was a new discovery. And the intensity could be the result of both the four-year separation and the repression of the urge to kiss on the mountain.

Exactly *that* expression of the right key turning the lock tumblers gives me the impression it was not their first kiss: they came together easily, naturally, like (and because) they had done many times before, like it had always been between them, despite the four years of being apart.
We all know that it can feel awkward to see a once very familiar person again after long years of not seeing (and hearing of) each other. You don't know how the other will react, how much of the closeness is still there, how close the other person wants to be to you. You have to re-familarize, to check the common grounds.
But for our boys it was not like that after four years. Regarding their closeness it was like it had been yesterday that they parted. After four years of not fullfilling sex, kisses and intimacy with the wrong persons, it FINALLY felt right again - like the right key to the lock.

So maybe Annie Proulx erred on the side of too many words. But, well, she didn't have Heath Ledger's acting to carry the story for her. No wonder she was so knocked out by his performance!

Awww, don't get me started about Heath again  :)
 I couldn't agree more. And I love every word of praise Annie said about him.

Late here. cu tomorrow and will think more about your post meanwhile. --> Yes, these guys are still almost constantly on my mind. Not always on the surface, but always close.

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2006, 12:56:20 am »
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Chrissi and Meryl and Lee and momof2! I was playing devil's advocate with mlewis back there. I think he/she has a really good point, and the more I think about it, the more I think he/she's probably right about the story.

Back before the movie came out except in festivals, somebody on Wranglers actually argued that the reunion kiss might have been so intense precisely because it was the first time they had actually kissed. (The person on Wranglers was pretty much torn to pieces for even suggesting that possibility; some people had already seen the movie, and some people had already written fanfic, and I think most people were very attached to the image of Jack and Ennis kissing, and kissing a lot, that existed in their minds. Which, you know, I can't really blame them for...)

Chrissi (Penthesilea)'s quote:

Because kissing really is something special, something emotionally intimate. So I understand why people want to believe that they kissed on the mountain, and I understand why Ang Lee (or whoever, but I suspect it was Ang) decided that the movie needed something like the 2nd tent scene. But the way I read story-Ennis, he's a real mess. I don't buy the argument that story-Ennis is focused on his external fears; I think that the Inner Parent that Meryl describes was just as much of a force in story-Ennis's life as he was for movie-Ennis. So I think that Ennis may very well have avoided kissing in the midst of all that rough, quick, laughing-and-snorting sex... because that would have meant acknowledging that he was queer. And he couldn't do that; he experienced the emotions in strange, metaphorical ways, as a "head-long, irreversible fall" and as a need to puke.

And I think I've read some guys saying that, yes, denial can be like that, that there are guys who will avoid kissing to avoid recognizing that they are gay. I'm not a gay man, though, so I can't speak from my own experience.

Sorry I didn't realize I had not posted my gender!  I am a "he" (at least the last time I checked).

Yes, Mel, I just want to underscore that these points are the points that lead me to believe - fairly strongly - that no kissing went on up on BBM - especially given the fact that they were guys; especially given the fact that it was 1963 and Wyoming; and especially given the fact that years-dead Old Man Del Mar/Ennis's Inner Parent was standing inside him the entire time holding that tire iron . . . it just would have been "queer" for them to kiss.  I hear the chorus now, "How can kissing - so much less intimate than, ahem, penetration, be more 'queer'?" - well, kissing is more public, more often seen, an almost universal gesture (in the passionate form we see at the reunion or between lovers in general) of shared passion - and for Ennis at least, at the time, and probably even then Jack as well - something that would only happen that way between a guy and a girl.  Also, friends, welcome to the state of Denial.  I know several gay men who would never, never, never kiss another man.  No, I'd better rephrase that - I know several men who engage in sexual behavior with other men who would never, never, never passionately kiss another man.  They probably don't self-identify as "gay." 

But let me take another tack - about the reader finishing the story.  I can't go up and look at who said that above, but it did stop and make me think - what am I bringing to the story that makes me so sure that Story Ennis and Story Jack didn't kiss until the reunion? (although I'm with Mel regarding Ms. P's prose sending me in that direction).  So I looked at it the other way, and I believe that some of you are importing some modern views into the text, but really there's nothing wrong with that, and no definitive statements that make my point.  It is just a feeling, an impression, if you will - but a strong one for me.  I guess what I meant to say by the last two sentences didn't get out the way I wanted - I mean, I disagree with you if you think they kissed on BBM BUT it wouldn't destroy my pleasure in the story if they did and I certainly don't want to take away your pleasant personal completion of the story by insisting you buy my view!

I want to be careful that this thread stays more focused on the story, but the compare/contrast thing really gets me going.  I re-read a discussion from last summer between Jeff W and others regarding the type of sex Ennis and Jack were having both on the mountain and later.  I still side with Jeff that the sex was fun, a connection to or expression of a deeper emotional bond, but that it was strictly of one type only, perhaps throughout the relationship!  This is undoubtedly a "conservative" view (is that word even allowed here?!), as is my view on kissing, etc.  For ME, this conservative view does not lessen the character or quality of their relationship, but definitely increases the pathos of the work.  Consequently, although it was the Film that got me to repeat viewings and the deep emotional impact of this tale, not to mention posting and debating on forums, it's the purity of the Story I keep being drawn to - the story as finished off by me, in my head, of course.  So when I first saw the film, and saw the second tent scene, it rang false for me, and at some level, continues to do so to this day.  Yes, it's beautiful.  Yes, I think the film would be crippled without it.  But it, more than almost anything else other than the Story motel scene, shows up the difference between Story Ennis and Film Ennis for me.  Story Ennis just would not have done in the tent in that second scene what Film Ennis does.  He would instead have playfully wrestled Jack around and done what they both enjoyed so much.  Maybe after, he would have drawn Jack to him, "butted up against" him, as after the first night.

Please don't think this means I didn't LOVE the film!  But the more we re-enter this discussion, the more I believe Film and Story Ennis are different characters.

Now all this has made me think of something else - and it kinda contradicts what I just said above.  When Story Ennis divorced Alma, and called Jack, and Jack drove 1200 miles for nothing - what stopped Story Ennis from going ahead and "ranching up" with Jack at that time?  It had to still be the fear of the tire iron, right?  In that way, at least, he was just the same as Film Ennis - just, as Mel says above, a difference of how to show the same character in print vs on screen

I also have to say I agree with Front Ranger regarding a sliding scale of sexuality for all human beings.  I do think it's possible, however, that Jack was "more gay" on the scale than Ennis, but Ennis was WAY more uncomfortable with how "gay" he was.  I still love the notion that Story Ennis was only "queer" for Jack - and I think it makes it more endearing regarding their relationship that Jack may have been Ennis's only male sexual partner, and of course his only true love.

Finally, the story is earthier in terms of the sex, because it did keep going all through the relationship, right out there for us to see it.  In the film, we are bereft of seeing even that comfort for the boys (except for 10 seconds of cuddling during sleep on their last-ever night together . . . OK, now I'm getting really sad :'().

I want to apologize to anyone who has heard these thoughts from me before, because I don't remember all the posts I made last winter.  I miss having them to review - so sad they were on IMDB and not here!  But mostly from others crashing, bashing and trying my posts, and from a lot of exposure to the film and the story at the time (I saw the film 11 times, I think, on screen, but read the story almost every day for several months), I felt I was beginning to get a handle on my story experience, and the insight it provided me into these characters.  However, now I feel somewhat lost, and I'm approaching old beliefs and arguments with a strange sense of deja vu.  So if any of you find me rehashing old stuff - please be patient!  And I do love everyone's input - it's so enlightening - thesis, antithesis, resolution of a new thesis that itself gets bashed into something even better. 
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #204 on: November 29, 2006, 02:20:13 am »
Well, I'm really muddled about how I think of the sex on the mountain/Reunion kiss now, because I can totally see both viewpoints.   ::)

But if the Reunion really is their first kiss, as the story implies, that makes it so poignant somehow--like all the denial is suddenly swept clean away in the face of the sheer need and joy that rise up at the sight of each other.  It's suddenly blindingly clear to both what was really goihg on up on Brokeback, and nothing, nothing is more important than that embrace--not the world and Alma seeing, not the tire iron, nothing.   (Story Ennis doesn't grab Jack and take him behind a wall either, just stays at the door.)  I have to say that thinking of it this way has its attractions.

Now all this has made me think of something else - and it kinda contradicts what I just said above.  When Story Ennis divorced Alma, and called Jack, and Jack drove 1200 miles for nothing - what stopped Story Ennis from going ahead and "ranching up" with Jack at that time?  It had to still be the fear of the tire iron, right?  In that way, at least, he was just the same as Film Ennis - just, as Mel says above, a difference of how to show the same character in print vs on screen.

If by "fear of the tire iron" you mean fear of the Inner Parent, I agree with you.  Though I think Story Ennis rightly feared physical violence from homophobes, I think he joins Film Ennis here in being more concerned with living under a cloud of suspicion and contempt than in being beaten.

So if any of you find me rehashing old stuff - please be patient!  And I do love everyone's input - it's so enlightening - thesis, antithesis, resolution of a new thesis that itself gets bashed into something even better.

Yep, for thesis-ing and anti-thesising, this film is one for the record books.  :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 02:37:38 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2006, 02:31:06 am »

In the end, I don't think it matters whether they kissed on the mountain in the story or not. It's a detail that's important for fanfic writers and for people who demand exact translations of a story to a movie, but as far as artistic and emotional impact goes... I think you can believe what you want to believe.

(Edit to fix a typo.)

Well here I will deposit my two cents:  I have bolded part of your quote there Mel, that is the part I am addressing....  To say that is does not matter whether they kissed on the mountain or not during their summer together, I can't agree with that.  I think it is the kissing that expresses the love.  without the kissing, the unspoken love that Jack has for Ennis is not expressed.   :o

I'm not saying that story Jack and Ennis did kiss that summer, I am just saying that whether they did or not does matter very much.

In fact, the rationale that story Jack and Ennis did not kiss until the Reunion is quite believable, as the story is written.  Interesting.....   ;)

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2006, 03:16:59 am »

Hello mlewisusc,

Maybe you know this, or maybe you don't, but there is an archive of a lot of old IMDb threads, and here is the link to it:

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/

This is quite a treasure trove of old posts, hope you like!   :D

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2006, 09:59:07 am »
Exactly *that* expression of the right key turning the lock tumblers gives me the impression it was not their first kiss: they came together easily, naturally, like (and because) they had done many times before, like it had always been between them, despite the four years of being apart.

But there are a lot of other possible metaphors for things that fit together both naturally and as the result of long familiarity. The way an old glove slides onto a hand. The way a well-worn pair of boots fits your feet. The way a hat shapes itself to your head. The way an old pair of jeans feels on your legs.

(And there are other metaphors that don't have to do with clothes, and even ones that don't involve leather and denim. Puzzle pieces, for instance.)

But let me tell you about my keys, since we're all interpreting this through our own experiences. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have an awful lot of keys. Some of them are on various key chains, some of them sit in a drawer, some of them are lying around on countertops in my house. And out of all those keys, I only know what five or so of them open. The others are mysteries. And when I find something locked, I have to try half of my darn keys to open it. So much trial and error.

A key will open its lock the thousandth time it's used, but it will also open it the first time. But it will only open the lock that it's made for. So the metaphor says two things to me. 1) Ennis and Jack are gay, not bi, not straight but in love with another man. They can put their keys into as many other locks as they want, but they just don't fit right; they grate and rasp and wear at both the keys and the locks. And 2) Ennis and Jack are made for one another. True Love, to be a bit sappy about it.

And when Jack's gone, Ennis is left like a key left in a drawer, its padlock long lost.

The shirts are a better lasting image, though.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2006, 12:30:03 pm »
Thanks for the link, Jane.

And Mel, dammit, stop making me cry at work!
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2006, 12:56:17 pm »
Welcome "home," Mark.  ;)

I clicked on this thread when your post showed up as "most recent," and the PC actually landed me on your post #210. Gosh, reading that post brought back memories. You and I agreed on so much in the past, about the story and the movie. I still agree with you that the "story boys" kissed for the first time outside the apartment in Riverton.

It's funny, but I've been reminiscing with myself lately over the arguments that used to go on as to whether Ennis and Jack were "really" gay, and remembering how, from the first time I read the story in its first publication in The New Yorker, it never occurred to me to doubt that both of them were "really" gay--probably because I have known a number of "really" gay men who at one time in their lives married women, became parents--and then, later, came to terms with their sexual orientation. And undoubtedly, in the time and place where Ennis and Jack were raised, gay consciousness just wasn't what it is today--even in Wyoming.

OK, it's ill-advised to post on a thread without reading a lot of what came before, but there you have it.

Welcome "home," bud!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.