Author Topic: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?  (Read 14184 times)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:48:24 pm »
After last years debacle of Academy members saying they weren't going to view BBM because they didn't want to see two males having sex (45 seconds or so of it), maybe the Academy is trying to prove something. It's rather early for the Academy to annouce a host, isn't it. Of course, it will give DeGeneres time to prepare for the big event. The movies that have been talked about as potential nominees coming out latter in the year indicate a rather violent line-up. Remember last year, they said the line-up was so political, i.e. Capote and BBM's characters had so many discussions of gay marriage, don't you remember. ;)

DeGeneres To Host 2007 Oscars

Ellen DeGeneres will host the Oscars for the first time in 2007. The comedienne-turned-US talk show host will take charge of the 79th Academy Awards on February 27 at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood. DeGeneres hasn't even appeared on an Academy Awards telecast, but ceremony producer Laura Ziskin is convinced she's the perfect choice to take over from this year's host Jon Stewart. Ziskin says, "Ellen DeGeneres was born to host the Academy Awards. There is no more challenging hosting job in show business. It requires someone who can keep the show alive and fresh and moving, as well as someone who is a flat-out great entertainer. Ellen completely fits the bill. I can already tell she is going to set the bar very high for herself and therefore for all of us involved in putting on the show." Emmy Award winner DeGeneres didn't waste any time in accepting the chance to host the Oscars. She says, "When Laura Ziskin called, I was thrilled. There's two things I've always wanted to do in my life - one is to host the Oscars. The second is to get a call from Laura Ziskin. You can imagine that day's diary entry." DeGeneres isn't new to show business' biggest stages - she has twice hosted the Primetime Emmy Awards telecast and co-hosted the show in 1994. She also earned acclaim for her first solo Emmy stint, which took place shortly after the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: The Academy trying to prove it's not homophobic?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »
I just heard this.  I also think it's damage control.  Do everything BUT give an award.  Too late.  For me anyway.  The Academy has earned my contempt. 

I liked Jon Stewart actually.  I thought he was one of the best since Crystal.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 07:44:01 pm »
I'm kind of sad, actually. Because I like Ellen DeGeneres -- I think she's very likable and charming and cute and funny. Unfortunately, I won't be watching her host the Academy Awards.

(Though as for Jon Stewart, he's even more likable and charming and cute and funny than Ellen is. In fact, there are few people on earth more L, C, C and F than he is.)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:45:05 pm »
Yes, too late. I don't care who they trot out to lead the show, I'm not watching. The AMPAS does not deserve my time or attention, they sure saw to me realizing that last year. So be it.

ETA: Actually, I'm sorry that Ellen DeGeneres accepted to host the thing. She's got to realize part of the reason why she was asked to do so is the damage control factor. I like her - I'd rather she not be associated with the AMPAS putting on makeup trying to make themselves look less homophobic. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:50:27 pm by Mikaela »

moremojo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 07:48:08 pm »
It's still a milestone that an openly homosexual person has signed up for this prestigious gig. And like Katherine, I think Ellen DeGeneres is wonderful, both as an entertainer and as a human being. But it would just feel like a betrayal of Jack and Ennis to watch next year's show...I'm feeling, as of now, that I can only bow out of that one. I still wish Ellen the best.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:41:21 pm »
It figures.  I've been saying for *years* that they should tap Ellen Degeneres to host the Oscars.  And *now* they do it.  As my 12th grade Physics teacher said the day Tom Simbari threw up all over his desk while he was giving a lecture on momentum, that's just perfect.   :P

I don't care if Jesus Christ hosts the show.  Or even Jake.  Naked.  I won't be watching it.  Ever again.

A part of me is sad I'll miss Ellen hosting it.  Another part of me is sad that she even accepted the gig knowing full well (and she must) that, as you've all said, it's damage control disguised as the obvious common sense choice of the best person on the planet for it, which she has always been.  But most of me is just sad that those rat bastards did what they did last year and are still largely getting away with it.

And you may or may not have heard it here first, folks, but here's my prediction for nominee and very likely winner of the Best Supporting Actor Oscar this year - Steve Carell, in "Little Miss Sunshine," for playing a gay man (and a liberal professor one at that) who only *talks* about being gay but who never kisses another man or *gasp* has implied anal sex with one.

Screw the Academy and the horses they rode in on.
No more beans!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:05:11 pm »
  I will never watch it.

I wish we could send Ellen postcards or letters expressing how we feel.   I don't know if she is aware of how the awards show and its obvious homophobia had affected us, and for that reason, there will be fewer viewers.  It probably won't make a difference, but maybe she could address it in one of the many interviews she'll have between now and then.

A member of another forum said that we should get one of the LA movie theaters, maybe the Aero Theater in Santa Monica, to run BBM on the very night of the academy awards (small a's) broadcast!  Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

Adrian

There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:07:57 pm »
I don't care if Jesus Christ hosts the show.  Or even Jake.  Naked.  I won't be watching it.  Ever again.

Jake . . . . . . . . naked??  Hmmm.  That's a tough one ednbarby.  I might have to think that one over.  ;)
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:30:09 pm »
Jake . . . . . . . . naked??  Hmmm.  That's a tough one ednbarby.  I might have to think that one over.  ;)

OK, in that case, maybe, just maybe, I'd check out the hosting highlights on youtube after the fact.  But that wouldn't be the same as actually watching it, would it?  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 12:05:58 am »
Not watching the Oscars until the Irving Thalberg goes to Heath Ledger for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar, and the academy delivers a formal apology for discriminating against Brokeback Mountain and gay people in the film industry.
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"