Author Topic: The All-Important Gravy Thread!  (Read 40274 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
The All-Important Gravy Thread!
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:00:32 pm »
I've decided that gravy really needs its own thread.  A quick survey showed only Elle's golden gravy recipe, which I'll repeat here.

Turkey by itself has not much flavor, and very much benefits from good gravy.  A nice, hot gravy helps since the turkey has often cooled by the time it reaches the table. 

What do you use?  There are lots of jarred, frozen, premade and store-bought versions available. 

Do you make homemade?  If so, tell us how.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: The All-Important Gravy Thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:07:53 pm »
Here's Elle's gravy recipe from November 2006:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6149.msg116611.html#msg116611

Elle's Golden Gravy (vegetarian)

We have several vegetarians in the family.  This gravy is delicious.  Three years ago, when the turkey gravy ran out, some of the meat-eaters grumblingly tried this, and chose to have it again the subsequent years.  Very flavorful and a lovely tawny color.  Also, loaded with all the B vitamins, including B12 (usually only found in animal products), so it really helps handle the stress of the day.

Golden Gravy

Put some flour in a dry pan.  (I like using whole wheat flour, but for a really smooth, polished sort of sauce, use white flour, or even that Wondra shaker stuff.)

Heat it slowly over heat, stirring.

Add nutritional yeast, roughly the same amount as the flour.  (Not bread yeast or brewers yeast or any other kind - nutritional yeast.  I use the large flake, but small flake would probably turn out the same.  Usually found in the bulk food section of good grocery stores.)

Pour in some olive oil and mix it til it's sort of like damp beach sand crumbles, still heating.

For the next five minutes, don't focus on anything but this.

Get a bunch of water (a pint or so?), and slowly add it to the sand mixture, stirring the whole time.  It's very fun when you first start adding the water, it hisses and thickens quickly.  Keep stirring, and adding water.  How much you add is up to you, depends on the thickness you prefer.  

Add tamari (shoyu) to taste.  (Not that Kikkoman or La Choy stuff.  The real stuff like Westbrae or San-J.)

Keep cooking for a little while.  Keep stirring.

Dee-licious on mashed potatoes, though throughout the year we usually have it on brown rice.

No foolin', my very non-health food in-laws love it.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 11:10:55 pm »
Good idea for Thanksgiving.   :)

We love gravy around here, but not on turkey. With turkey, there's dressing. Now some people put giblet gravy over their dressing, but I don't like that kind of gravy. It has bits of chopped up stuff in it that makes it look like...well, never mind. Some of you probably love it.  ::)

I like gravy and biscuits. Homemade. No recipe. Using the grease and crunchies leftover from whatever meat---usually chicken or pork chops or bacon--has been fried in the skillet. Stir in flour and salt. Add milk and cook to desired thickness.  ;D  Good stuff!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »
Here's mine.  I swear by it, and use it every year.  I like to serve turkey with red wine, such as a Zinfandel, or a Rhone, and think that red wine gravy is a natural.  Because of the wine, it's very dark, rich and aromatic, smooth and silky.  

Paul's Red Wine Turkey Gravy

1) Flavor the wine:  
While the turkey is roasting, I place the giblets (neck, heart, liver, gizzard and whatever else) in a pan on the back of the stove.  Cover with red wine (something you wouldn't be ashamed to drink), add a bay leaf and a few whole peppercorns, maybe a whole clove.  Simmer at a very low flame; add more wine if necessary.  After the turkey comes out, strain and reserve.  (You can chop and then add the giblets if you must.  I don't.)

2) Make a RouxB:
While the turkey is resting, degrease the pan drippings (those gravy separators are very handy for this).  Place the roasting pan over two burners, at medium-high heat.  There will still be some fat in the bottom of the pan, plus all the flavorful bits.  In a large jar, add a few tablespoons of flour (Wondra--superfine flour--is pretty good here).  Add water and shake vigorously.  (This sounds strange, but it prevents any lumps.) To the hot pan, add the flour-water mixture and whisk like crazy.

3) Put 'em together:
While continuing to whisk, gradually add back the degreased drippings.  Add the strained wine.  Depending on the volume desired, you can either add more wine, or water, or chicken stock.  Whisk!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:36:03 am »
Mmmmm, sounds really good, Paul. 

I'd forgotten about the fact that my in laws like my Golden Gravy!  They aren't coming on Thanksgiving this year, but rather on the Sunday following, and I'm not planning to make Thanksgiving food on that day, figuring everyone would have had their fill by then.  But I'll make Golden Gravy, and put it on sump'n!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »
Yummm....

Both gravies sound delicious, but since I never cook turkey, the turkey gravy might not be of any use to me!  ;D

The Golden Gravy OTOH, I would really like to try. It doesn't sound very difficult.
Just one thing, what is nutritional yeast?
Never heard of it, and I'm not sure we have it here. Maybe in whole food stores, but then I need to know what to ask for!  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:11 am »
Yummm....

Both gravies sound delicious, but since I never cook turkey, the turkey gravy might not be of any use to me!  ;D

The Golden Gravy OTOH, I would really like to try. It doesn't sound very difficult.
Just one thing, what is nutritional yeast?
Never heard of it, and I'm not sure we have it here. Maybe in whole food stores, but then I need to know what to ask for!  ;D

Hi Sonja, yes, a whole foods type store would be the best place to look for it.  Here's a good description of it, and ideas about it.  It and tamari are a magical taste combo, way yummier together than separate, and it's my favorite popcorn topping.  (Do Swedes, or any Europeans, eat popcorn?)

http://www.chooseveg.com/nutritional-yeast.asp

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:06:39 pm »
Thanks for the link. I had never heard of nutritional yeast. And I wouldn't have thought it was a cheese replacement.

But.... cheese on popcorn?? Really?  :o

I only eat popcorn with a bit some salt, my kids prefer popcorn with some sugar sprinkled on top, but I really don't like that. Never thought about cheese though..
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 11:18:18 pm »
Thanks for the link. I had never heard of nutritional yeast. And I wouldn't have thought it was a cheese replacement.

But.... cheese on popcorn?? Really?  :o

Really!  I've never had it popped fresh with cheese, but they sell it in bags here with a powdered white cheese coating that's quite tasty.

I've had Clarissa's golden gravy and thought it was very tasty.  I still have part of a jar of yeast, so maybe I'll make some if there's leftover turkey and not enough gravy.

Paul, your red wine gravy sounds terrific.  I'd never considered having red zinfandel with turkey, but maybe I'll try it this year.  Ann Marie and I are cooking for friends (John Gallagher is coming!) and I can't wait to chow down on all the good homemade stuff.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:14:50 am »

I've had Clarissa's golden gravy and thought it was very tasty.  I still have part of a jar of yeast, so maybe I'll make some if there's leftover turkey and not enough gravy.

You have?!  I am blanking on this.  Really, really blanking. 

Paul, your red wine gravy sounds terrific.  I'd never considered having red zinfandel with turkey, but maybe I'll try it this year.  Ann Marie and I are cooking for friends (John Gallagher is coming!) and I can't wait to chow down on all the good homemade stuff.  8)

Sounds lovely. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 03:07:48 am »
You have?!  I am blanking on this.  Really, really blanking. 

Found it!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6149.msg119405.html#msg119405

Happy Thanksgiving, Clarissa!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 04:12:57 am »
Found it!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6149.msg119405.html#msg119405

Happy Thanksgiving, Clarissa!  :-*

Oh yeah!!  Three effin' years ago.  Amazing.  Thanks Merly.  :-*

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 05:17:14 pm »

Hi Sonja, yes, a whole foods type store would be the best place to look for it.  Here's a good description of it, and ideas about it.  It and tamari are a magical taste combo, way yummier together than separate, and it's my favorite popcorn topping.  (Do Swedes, or any Europeans, eat popcorn?)

http://www.chooseveg.com/nutritional-yeast.asp

Oh, thanks for this link!

I have a big whole food store nearby, I'll take a look there one of these days. Even if they don't carry it, they might be able to get it for me.

Popcorn?

Oh yes, we eat popcorn in Sweden. It's not a favourite of mine exactly, but when my son was young we used to have it sometimes.

Never had it with cheese though. Only heard about popcorn with salt.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 04:20:02 pm »
Elle, I found the nutritional yeast!!

In a whole food store, just as I thought.  :)

But they were sold out of tamari....  ::)  But that I can find somewhere else I'm sure.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 04:59:40 am »
Elle, I found the nutritional yeast!!

In a whole food store, just as I thought.  :)

But they were sold out of tamari....  ::)  But that I can find somewhere else I'm sure.

You're getting there!  I sure hope you like it.  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 10:14:20 am »
  Ann Marie and I are cooking for friends (John Gallagher is coming!) and I can't wait to chow down on all the good homemade stuff.  8)

That sounds like a wonderful feast and terrific company! I'd love a report of your dinner!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 01:25:46 pm »
That sounds like a wonderful feast and terrific company! I'd love a report of your dinner!

What a meal!  8 people altogether; interestingly, no couples, 4 men, 4 women.  Around 5:00, we started with shrimp with cocktail sauce and veggies with spinach dip.  The main meal was a beautiful brined kosher turkey, sausage and cornmeal stuffing, mashed potatoes with lots of butter, pan gravy, Brussels sprouts baked with fontina cheese, butternut squash lasagna, cranberry relish with orange zest, cranberry sauce made from whole berries and walnuts, pearl onions in balsamic vinegar, cranberry-pecan rolls, wheat rolls and buttermilk biscuits.

Dessert was a beautiful walnut cake with maple butter cream frosting from Cupcake Cafe, compliments of John Gallagher (we belatedly celebrated the birthday of my friend Bev), apple pie, pumpkin pie, ice cream and whipped cream.  John also made the most of the walnuts adorning the fruity centerpiece.  ;D  We also shared a bottle of Veuve Cliquot champagne and lots of other good drinkies.

Ann Marie and I cleaned most of it up after dinner, then spent Friday "laying like loxes", enjoying the clean apartment and the fridge full of leftovers.  We both were nursing sore backs and muscles from all the cooking and cleaning!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 05:33:50 pm »
That sounds like a wonderful meal, Meryl!

But I can't help wondering about a few details.....

What a meal!  8 people altogether; interestingly, no couples, 4 men, 4 women.  Around 5:00, we started with shrimp with cocktail sauce and veggies with spinach dip.  The main meal was a beautiful brined kosher turkey, sausage and cornmeal stuffing, mashed potatoes with lots of butter, pan gravy, Brussels sprouts baked with fontina cheese, butternut squash lasagna, cranberry relish with orange zest, cranberry sauce made from whole berries and walnuts, pearl onions in balsamic vinegar, cranberry-pecan rolls, wheat rolls and buttermilk biscuits.

Of course it's nobody's bussiness but yours, but excuse me for asking: why bother with a kosher turkey??

;)   :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 11:33:41 am »

Of course it's nobody's bussiness but yours, but excuse me for asking: why bother with a kosher turkey??

;)   :D

hehe, this year for the first time, I understand your point!

That meal sounds so heavenly, Meryl! I'm sure glad you had help! Did you carve a la Jack or a la Monroe??

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 05:23:48 pm »
hehe, this year for the first time, I understand your point!

;)   ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 04:19:47 am »
Here's Elle's gravy recipe from November 2006:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6149.msg116611.html#msg116611

Elle's Golden Gravy (vegetarian)

We have several vegetarians in the family.  This gravy is delicious.  Three years ago, when the turkey gravy ran out, some of the meat-eaters grumblingly tried this, and chose to have it again the subsequent years.  Very flavorful and a lovely tawny color.  Also, loaded with all the B vitamins, including B12 (usually only found in animal products), so it really helps handle the stress of the day.

Golden Gravy

Put some flour in a dry pan.  (I like using whole wheat flour, but for a really smooth, polished sort of sauce, use white flour, or even that Wondra shaker stuff.)

Heat it slowly over heat, stirring.

Add nutritional yeast, roughly the same amount as the flour.  (Not bread yeast or brewers yeast or any other kind - nutritional yeast.  I use the large flake, but small flake would probably turn out the same.  Usually found in the bulk food section of good grocery stores.)

Pour in some olive oil and mix it til it's sort of like damp beach sand crumbles, still heating.

For the next five minutes, don't focus on anything but this.

Get a bunch of water (a pint or so?), and slowly add it to the sand mixture, stirring the whole time.  It's very fun when you first start adding the water, it hisses and thickens quickly.  Keep stirring, and adding water.  How much you add is up to you, depends on the thickness you prefer. 

Add tamari (shoyu) to taste.  (Not that Kikkoman or La Choy stuff.  The real stuff like Westbrae or San-J.)

Keep cooking for a little while.  Keep stirring.

Dee-licious on mashed potatoes, though throughout the year we usually have it on brown rice.

No foolin', my very non-health food in-laws love it.

Paul, thank you for starting a gravy thread two years ago!  I've been eating gluten-free for a few months, and it's making a very big difference in my health.  So now, in addition to my contributions to the Thanksgiving meal being vegetarian, they are going to be gluten-free too.  This weekend I'm going to make golden gravy with rice flour and see how it goes.  If the consistency isn't quite what I want, I'll try other thickeners.  I think gravy won't be hard to replace the wheat in.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 09:49:33 am »
Paul, thank you for starting a gravy thread two years ago!  I've been eating gluten-free for a few months, and it's making a very big difference in my health.  So now, in addition to my contributions to the Thanksgiving meal being vegetarian, they are going to be gluten-free too.  This weekend I'm going to make golden gravy with rice flour and see how it goes.  If the consistency isn't quite what I want, I'll try other thickeners.  I think gravy won't be hard to replace the wheat in.

Seriously--does corn starch have gluten in it?

Some of the cooks in my extended family use corn starch to thicken gravy instead of flour. If the rice flour doesn't work out and corn starch is gluten free, maybe that would work?

I love gravy. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:26 pm »
Seriously--does corn starch have gluten in it?

Some of the cooks in my extended family use corn starch to thicken gravy instead of flour. If the rice flour doesn't work out and corn starch is gluten free, maybe that would work?

I love gravy. ...  ::)

Cornstarch does work, and doesn't have gluten.  I will try that, but I am looking for a little bit different consistency than what cornstarch would give - it's very, very smooth, like puddn', which is not exactly what I want.  I want a bit of ... not sure of the word.  A little more Ennis-y. 

:)  Feels good to use a Brokie reference.  Been a while.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »
Cornstarch does work, and doesn't have gluten.

Thanks! That's interesting to know. I'm sure whatever you use will work out fine.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 09:40:10 pm »
bumping for Thansgiving!

Here's mine.  I swear by it, and use it every year.  I like to serve turkey with red wine, such as a Zinfandel, or a Rhone, and think that red wine gravy is a natural.  Because of the wine, it's very dark, rich and aromatic, smooth and silky.  

Paul's Red Wine Turkey Gravy

1) Flavor the wine:  
While the turkey is roasting, I place the giblets (neck, heart, liver, gizzard and whatever else) in a pan on the back of the stove.  Cover with red wine (something you wouldn't be ashamed to drink), add a bay leaf and a few whole peppercorns, maybe a whole clove.  Simmer at a very low flame; add more wine if necessary.  After the turkey comes out, strain and reserve.  (You can chop and then add the giblets if you must.  I don't.)

2) Make a RouxB:
While the turkey is resting, degrease the pan drippings (those gravy separators are very handy for this).  Place the roasting pan over two burners, at medium-high heat.  There will still be some fat in the bottom of the pan, plus all the flavorful bits.  In a large jar, add a few tablespoons of flour (Wondra--superfine flour--is pretty good here).  Add water and shake vigorously.  (This sounds strange, but it prevents any lumps.) To the hot pan, add the flour-water mixture and whisk like crazy.

3) Put 'em together:
While continuing to whisk, gradually add back the degreased drippings.  Add the strained wine.  Depending on the volume desired, you can either add more wine, or water, or chicken stock.  Whisk!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »
As I mentioned in the wine thread, I heard of a secret ingredient to make a savory gravy even better:  soy/tamari!  I'm gonna try adding a dash to the red wine gravy.  (I notice that it's already an ingredient in Elle's golden gravy.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 07:13:18 pm »
As I mentioned in the wine thread, I heard of a secret ingredient to make a savory gravy even better:  soy/tamari!  I'm gonna try adding a dash to the red wine gravy.  (I notice that it's already an ingredient in Elle's golden gravy.)

Let us know how this comes out. I will have a mushroom gravy and am hoping it will have a delicate but still robust flavor.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2015, 06:05:05 pm »
Must resurrect Paul's gravy thread!! My question, which wracks my brain every single year, is Where should the mushrooms go, in the gravy or in the stuffing?  ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2015, 09:17:38 pm »
Must resurrect Paul's gravy thread!! My question, which wracks my brain every single year, is Where should the mushrooms go, in the gravy or in the stuffing?  ???

My folks don't use mushrooms in either, but why can't you put some in both?  ???

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:47 am »
I've seen it done in both, so why not, like Jeff suggests?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 10:23:22 am »
Once--I forget where  ???  --I had stuffing with chestnuts in it that was really, really good--but I'm straying from the subject of the all-important gravy.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:38 am »
My folks don't use mushrooms in either, but why can't you put some in both?  ???

Because I've run into trouble in the past by going hog-wild and creating too many side dishes that were too much alike, like putting cheese over everything or roasting everything or having too much cinnamon in everything. So I'm trying to follow a rule of having every dish be different.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
Then I suggest don't put mushrooms in either. Serve green beans and put them in there.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »
Then I suggest don't put mushrooms in either. Serve green beans and put them in there.

actuallly, not a bad idea

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 04:46:36 pm »

actuallly, not a bad idea

A friend of mine had a "specialty" of green beans with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. It was always quite good.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 09:52:35 am »
I think it's best to serve a 'plain' gravy.   So many people have different quirks and dislikes.  I have no issues with mushrooms, but my brother hates them, so he would either skip the gravy, or put some on, and pick the mushrooms out.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 10:47:22 am »
I think it's best to serve a 'plain' gravy.   So many people have different quirks and dislikes.  I have no issues with mushrooms, but my brother hates them, so he would either skip the gravy, or put some on, and pick the mushrooms out.

I'm not especially fond of mushrooms, either (they are a fungus, after all), and I won't deliberately order something with them, but I decided years ago that if I was served something with mushrooms, better just to man up and eat them quietly rather than to look childish picking them out and have to deal with comments from fellow diners.

Same deal with sweet potatoes. For me, all the "candy" that cooks in my family put on them make them way too sweet, but I got so tired of the comments, "Don't you want any sweet potatoes?", "You don't like sweet potatoes?", "Why, you don't know what's good!" that I decided to take the smallest portion I could get away with, eat it quietly, and keep quiet. The annoying comments stopped.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 04:40:16 pm »
I never take what I don't want.  I figure, with all the people around, someone will eat it.  lol

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 04:39:20 pm »
So, I ended up putting the mushrooms in the stuffing. It seemed like it needed something. I checked and everyone in my family likes mushrooms. Well, I didn't check with my son-in-law. I doubt if he would even eat stuffing anyway.

Gravy comes last. I've made relishes, hors-d'oeuvres, onions, brussels sprouts, stuffing, creamed corn, pumpkin pie, sp0iced peaches, cranberry and Cumberland sauces. Others are bringing the green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls and two more pies. The turkey is now at 145 degrees F internal temperature, 20 more degrees to go. It's almost showtime!

I'm glad we're having Thanksgiving a day early because a storm's coming in from the Pacific (can't you just hear Jack's voice saying this?). Just one of many things to be thankful for!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
Enjoy your holiday, Lee!!!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »
Something different for the gravy this year. One of our guests is a chef, and he brought a hand blender. He put some of the roasted vegetables in the gravy and creamed it all together. It came out extra tasty!
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 05:04:10 pm »
oh sounds different.

Offline BradInBlue

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 09:44:04 pm »
I'm a turkey gravy fanatic. Starts a week before TG: 3 Turkey Legs, 2 pounds ground turkey, onion, carrots celery, lemon grass, water, simmer all day, strain, strain, strain, refrigerate all night. Next day remove solidified grease from the top, reduce all day to about 4 cups, cool, then freeze. Thaw the base day before TG. Once the turkey is cooked, take a jar with flour and cold base and shake good, warm the remaining then add strained drippings from turkey pan (I use one of them fancy grease separators) to the warm base, make roux in the final pan, add the cool contents of the jar, thicken more if needed. Makes rich, delicious gravy with plenty of left over which I portion into freezer bags after the big day. I don't use giblets in the gravy but I sweat them and use them in one of the dressings.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 07:57:16 pm »
damn, Brad.  That's a lot of work for gravy.  I bet it tastes fantastic.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 08:52:38 pm »
damn, Brad.  That's a lot of work for gravy.  I bet it tastes fantastic.

I'll say! Yee haw! Brad, you can make gravy for me any day!  :D

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 11:15:43 pm »
Jeff wants in on Brad's gravy train.  ;)  :laugh: