Author Topic: The All-Important Gravy Thread!  (Read 40014 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
The All-Important Gravy Thread!
« on: November 21, 2009, 11:00:32 pm »
I've decided that gravy really needs its own thread.  A quick survey showed only Elle's golden gravy recipe, which I'll repeat here.

Turkey by itself has not much flavor, and very much benefits from good gravy.  A nice, hot gravy helps since the turkey has often cooled by the time it reaches the table. 

What do you use?  There are lots of jarred, frozen, premade and store-bought versions available. 

Do you make homemade?  If so, tell us how.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: The All-Important Gravy Thread!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 11:07:53 pm »
Here's Elle's gravy recipe from November 2006:  http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6149.msg116611.html#msg116611

Elle's Golden Gravy (vegetarian)

We have several vegetarians in the family.  This gravy is delicious.  Three years ago, when the turkey gravy ran out, some of the meat-eaters grumblingly tried this, and chose to have it again the subsequent years.  Very flavorful and a lovely tawny color.  Also, loaded with all the B vitamins, including B12 (usually only found in animal products), so it really helps handle the stress of the day.

Golden Gravy

Put some flour in a dry pan.  (I like using whole wheat flour, but for a really smooth, polished sort of sauce, use white flour, or even that Wondra shaker stuff.)

Heat it slowly over heat, stirring.

Add nutritional yeast, roughly the same amount as the flour.  (Not bread yeast or brewers yeast or any other kind - nutritional yeast.  I use the large flake, but small flake would probably turn out the same.  Usually found in the bulk food section of good grocery stores.)

Pour in some olive oil and mix it til it's sort of like damp beach sand crumbles, still heating.

For the next five minutes, don't focus on anything but this.

Get a bunch of water (a pint or so?), and slowly add it to the sand mixture, stirring the whole time.  It's very fun when you first start adding the water, it hisses and thickens quickly.  Keep stirring, and adding water.  How much you add is up to you, depends on the thickness you prefer.  

Add tamari (shoyu) to taste.  (Not that Kikkoman or La Choy stuff.  The real stuff like Westbrae or San-J.)

Keep cooking for a little while.  Keep stirring.

Dee-licious on mashed potatoes, though throughout the year we usually have it on brown rice.

No foolin', my very non-health food in-laws love it.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 11:10:55 pm »
Good idea for Thanksgiving.   :)

We love gravy around here, but not on turkey. With turkey, there's dressing. Now some people put giblet gravy over their dressing, but I don't like that kind of gravy. It has bits of chopped up stuff in it that makes it look like...well, never mind. Some of you probably love it.  ::)

I like gravy and biscuits. Homemade. No recipe. Using the grease and crunchies leftover from whatever meat---usually chicken or pork chops or bacon--has been fried in the skillet. Stir in flour and salt. Add milk and cook to desired thickness.  ;D  Good stuff!!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »
Here's mine.  I swear by it, and use it every year.  I like to serve turkey with red wine, such as a Zinfandel, or a Rhone, and think that red wine gravy is a natural.  Because of the wine, it's very dark, rich and aromatic, smooth and silky.  

Paul's Red Wine Turkey Gravy

1) Flavor the wine:  
While the turkey is roasting, I place the giblets (neck, heart, liver, gizzard and whatever else) in a pan on the back of the stove.  Cover with red wine (something you wouldn't be ashamed to drink), add a bay leaf and a few whole peppercorns, maybe a whole clove.  Simmer at a very low flame; add more wine if necessary.  After the turkey comes out, strain and reserve.  (You can chop and then add the giblets if you must.  I don't.)

2) Make a RouxB:
While the turkey is resting, degrease the pan drippings (those gravy separators are very handy for this).  Place the roasting pan over two burners, at medium-high heat.  There will still be some fat in the bottom of the pan, plus all the flavorful bits.  In a large jar, add a few tablespoons of flour (Wondra--superfine flour--is pretty good here).  Add water and shake vigorously.  (This sounds strange, but it prevents any lumps.) To the hot pan, add the flour-water mixture and whisk like crazy.

3) Put 'em together:
While continuing to whisk, gradually add back the degreased drippings.  Add the strained wine.  Depending on the volume desired, you can either add more wine, or water, or chicken stock.  Whisk!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:36:03 am »
Mmmmm, sounds really good, Paul. 

I'd forgotten about the fact that my in laws like my Golden Gravy!  They aren't coming on Thanksgiving this year, but rather on the Sunday following, and I'm not planning to make Thanksgiving food on that day, figuring everyone would have had their fill by then.  But I'll make Golden Gravy, and put it on sump'n!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 06:12:29 pm »
Yummm....

Both gravies sound delicious, but since I never cook turkey, the turkey gravy might not be of any use to me!  ;D

The Golden Gravy OTOH, I would really like to try. It doesn't sound very difficult.
Just one thing, what is nutritional yeast?
Never heard of it, and I'm not sure we have it here. Maybe in whole food stores, but then I need to know what to ask for!  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:11 am »
Yummm....

Both gravies sound delicious, but since I never cook turkey, the turkey gravy might not be of any use to me!  ;D

The Golden Gravy OTOH, I would really like to try. It doesn't sound very difficult.
Just one thing, what is nutritional yeast?
Never heard of it, and I'm not sure we have it here. Maybe in whole food stores, but then I need to know what to ask for!  ;D

Hi Sonja, yes, a whole foods type store would be the best place to look for it.  Here's a good description of it, and ideas about it.  It and tamari are a magical taste combo, way yummier together than separate, and it's my favorite popcorn topping.  (Do Swedes, or any Europeans, eat popcorn?)

http://www.chooseveg.com/nutritional-yeast.asp

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:06:39 pm »
Thanks for the link. I had never heard of nutritional yeast. And I wouldn't have thought it was a cheese replacement.

But.... cheese on popcorn?? Really?  :o

I only eat popcorn with a bit some salt, my kids prefer popcorn with some sugar sprinkled on top, but I really don't like that. Never thought about cheese though..
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 11:18:18 pm »
Thanks for the link. I had never heard of nutritional yeast. And I wouldn't have thought it was a cheese replacement.

But.... cheese on popcorn?? Really?  :o

Really!  I've never had it popped fresh with cheese, but they sell it in bags here with a powdered white cheese coating that's quite tasty.

I've had Clarissa's golden gravy and thought it was very tasty.  I still have part of a jar of yeast, so maybe I'll make some if there's leftover turkey and not enough gravy.

Paul, your red wine gravy sounds terrific.  I'd never considered having red zinfandel with turkey, but maybe I'll try it this year.  Ann Marie and I are cooking for friends (John Gallagher is coming!) and I can't wait to chow down on all the good homemade stuff.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:14:50 am »

I've had Clarissa's golden gravy and thought it was very tasty.  I still have part of a jar of yeast, so maybe I'll make some if there's leftover turkey and not enough gravy.

You have?!  I am blanking on this.  Really, really blanking. 

Paul, your red wine gravy sounds terrific.  I'd never considered having red zinfandel with turkey, but maybe I'll try it this year.  Ann Marie and I are cooking for friends (John Gallagher is coming!) and I can't wait to chow down on all the good homemade stuff.  8)

Sounds lovely.