Author Topic: The All-Important Gravy Thread!  (Read 40036 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The All-Important Gravy Thread!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2015, 10:23:22 am »
Once--I forget where  ???  --I had stuffing with chestnuts in it that was really, really good--but I'm straying from the subject of the all-important gravy.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2015, 11:56:38 am »
My folks don't use mushrooms in either, but why can't you put some in both?  ???

Because I've run into trouble in the past by going hog-wild and creating too many side dishes that were too much alike, like putting cheese over everything or roasting everything or having too much cinnamon in everything. So I'm trying to follow a rule of having every dish be different.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »
Then I suggest don't put mushrooms in either. Serve green beans and put them in there.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »
Then I suggest don't put mushrooms in either. Serve green beans and put them in there.

actuallly, not a bad idea

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2015, 04:46:36 pm »

actuallly, not a bad idea

A friend of mine had a "specialty" of green beans with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. It was always quite good.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2015, 09:52:35 am »
I think it's best to serve a 'plain' gravy.   So many people have different quirks and dislikes.  I have no issues with mushrooms, but my brother hates them, so he would either skip the gravy, or put some on, and pick the mushrooms out.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2015, 10:47:22 am »
I think it's best to serve a 'plain' gravy.   So many people have different quirks and dislikes.  I have no issues with mushrooms, but my brother hates them, so he would either skip the gravy, or put some on, and pick the mushrooms out.

I'm not especially fond of mushrooms, either (they are a fungus, after all), and I won't deliberately order something with them, but I decided years ago that if I was served something with mushrooms, better just to man up and eat them quietly rather than to look childish picking them out and have to deal with comments from fellow diners.

Same deal with sweet potatoes. For me, all the "candy" that cooks in my family put on them make them way too sweet, but I got so tired of the comments, "Don't you want any sweet potatoes?", "You don't like sweet potatoes?", "Why, you don't know what's good!" that I decided to take the smallest portion I could get away with, eat it quietly, and keep quiet. The annoying comments stopped.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 04:40:16 pm »
I never take what I don't want.  I figure, with all the people around, someone will eat it.  lol

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 04:39:20 pm »
So, I ended up putting the mushrooms in the stuffing. It seemed like it needed something. I checked and everyone in my family likes mushrooms. Well, I didn't check with my son-in-law. I doubt if he would even eat stuffing anyway.

Gravy comes last. I've made relishes, hors-d'oeuvres, onions, brussels sprouts, stuffing, creamed corn, pumpkin pie, sp0iced peaches, cranberry and Cumberland sauces. Others are bringing the green beans, mashed potatoes, rolls and two more pies. The turkey is now at 145 degrees F internal temperature, 20 more degrees to go. It's almost showtime!

I'm glad we're having Thanksgiving a day early because a storm's coming in from the Pacific (can't you just hear Jack's voice saying this?). Just one of many things to be thankful for!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
Enjoy your holiday, Lee!!!