Author Topic: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life  (Read 157697 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Phil Skips Stones Across the Pond of Life
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2007, 03:39:34 pm »
Get well soon Phillip! I'm so glad it wasn't a serious accident but I know it is always a nuisance. I had one in 2003. It wasn't serious but it was annoying for a while!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

RodneyWY

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2007, 04:27:44 pm »
Talk about a GDBOAUS!

So glad you made it OK.

Wishing you quick recovery, good pain meds, and a new Malibu with a big red bow under your tree.  (John, are you listening?)

Let me add my 2 cents worth . . . Cars can be replaced.  It's much more difficult to replace a friend.  May your pain meds be sufficient for a quick and full recovery.  It's shouldn't be so difficult to find a new car.  Wishing you a speedy decision.  You might be able to find a really great deal with the holidays upon us!

RodneyWY

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2007, 05:04:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for the nice thoughts.  I am glad to report no bones broken in this accident.  I have soft tissue damage in my thumb and right wrist - the airbag will throw your hand into the gear shifter when it deploys.  I am about 30% better than yesterday, which is very good for me considering what I went through in 2005.  The best I can describe it is a bad muscle pull.  Writing is impossible, but I am doing okay pecking with my two index fingers for a limited period.  I *think* things will be physically more or less back to quasi-normal by Monday, we'll see how fast the hand heals.  Ibuprofen does help.

The airbag experience is always bizarre.  They open so fast.  The old Malibu had giant round balloons that blow into your face.  The new one had this horizontal bag in the steering wheel that was designed to keep your body out of the steering wheel.  The passenger side one was larger.  You get this cloud of corn starch and the nasty gross smell, and your ears ring.  After they go off, your car basically goes into dead mode with the emergency flashers going.  I couldn't turn my car off and it dumped all of the fluids into the road.  We had fire trucks, an ambulance and two sheriff cars respond.

I was essentially in shock for a good part of yesterday, initially contemplating doing my usual shopping errands post-accident.  But when I got to the grocery store, the employees who knew me took one look and ordered me to go home.  I was in zombie mode.  It's very odd when you get into this daze and things just seem to happen around you.

I have been dealing with State Farm Insurance for the car matter and as soon as personal injury is involved in NY, you get a lot of calls from them.  I delivered my sworn recount of the accident last night by phone.  On Monday, the car will be towed from its current location to the car dealership's collision center to determine if they will repair it or "total it."  I will try and get some pictures and post them (we still have some pictures around here of the 2005 accident).

I'm being told that since the car is only two years old, the inclination is automatically to try and repair it unless the damages near the value of the vehicle.  If it's too expensive to fix, then they "total it" meaning I send the title papers for the car to the insurance company and they basically buy it from me for market value.

The biggest thing is the amount of irritation this causes me during the busy holidays.  If it's going to be repaired, it will probably be there three weeks.  If it's totalled, then I have to go play the car buying game (which I loathe).  I buy new cars and try and keep them as long as possible.  I may eschew Chevrolet and go towards a Hyundai or Honda or Toyota if I am forced to buy a new one.  GM cars are cheaper upfront but their quality over time still is not what it should be.

But for now I'll wait and see what I learn next week.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2007, 06:34:19 pm »
Glad to hear you're doing better, Phillip.  :D

I may eschew Chevrolet and go towards a Hyundai or Honda or Toyota if I am forced to buy a new one.  GM cars are cheaper upfront but their quality over time still is not what it should be.

FWIW, I have a friend who has a Hyundai Elantra, and he's very happy with it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2007, 06:54:55 pm »
I am glad you are doing okay after your accident..  That other person did not deserve to be behind the wheel of a car.!  Hope your's is a speedy recover and your not left with too many aches and pains.

dev

yb

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2007, 08:20:52 pm »
Phillip, my best wishes and get well soon.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2007, 09:07:19 pm »
Phil! Glad to read that you are feeling better today! Let the injuries heel! It's better than having chronic pain later.

Just today I witnessed a car accident. Neither of the cars was driving very fast, but it sure made a hell of a noise!

Get well soon!

j.U.d.E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2007, 09:19:11 pm »
Happy "get well" Trails!

Offline BelAir

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2007, 11:44:47 pm »
I drive a Hyundai and I love it.  (I'm glad your friends/acquaintances sent you home from the grocery store!)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2007, 12:24:00 am »

I am very sorry to hear about your accidents Philip.  I know what that is like for sure.
I hope you feel better soon, and have no lasting problems.
        As has been said before, cars are replacable, you are not.   Be well..       janice

Beautiful mind