Author Topic: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish  (Read 247798 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish
« Reply #240 on: December 10, 2016, 07:44:11 pm »
I was listing to a spotify playlist my friend had made of Christmas songs (267 songs in total - and very eclectic just like him) and up popped a rufus wainwright song.

I hadn't realised until right there and then *quite* how distinctive his voice is. I

was listening with my earphone while tapping away on my computer at work, so it was really just background noise but as soon as he started signing - I knew who is was instantly. And back thinking of Brokeback straight away.

For anyone interested the song was "What are you doing New Years Eve?" which Id never heard before..

[youtube=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfUL3kxSNX4[/youtube]

There was another one later called "Some Children See Him"  which I again had never heard before.

[youtube=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1lPek1zY2M[/youtube]

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Things that aren't directly connected to BBM and yet are somehow Brokieish
« Reply #241 on: December 10, 2016, 11:11:00 pm »
Newsweek says it's fun to play Cohen's version out of context to someone who knows the song, and they'll go, "Who is this guy and why is he wrecking this song?"

I'll admit that could be me. The first I ever heard it was K.D. Lang's cover, and I remember thinking to myself, "Who's Leonard Cohen?"
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
I just watched The Hired Hand, 1971, directed and starred in by Peter Fonda. Very Brokieish.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsCRNByc3g
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
I just watched The Hired Hand, 1971, directed and starred in by Peter Fonda. Very Brokieish.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCsCRNByc3g

Was it good?

Speaking of Peter Fonda, my son just watched Easy Rider. I guess he liked it pretty well, although he was highly skeptical about the ending. I told him that [*SPOILER ALERT*] even back in the day it was pretty implausible that a redneck would shoot random passersby just for being hippies.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Was it good?
I enjoyed it. If you like obscure Westerns with homoerotic undertones, it's one to add to your collection!
Speaking of Peter Fonda, my son just watched Easy Rider. I guess he liked it pretty well, although he was highly skeptical about the ending. I told him that [*SPOILER ALERT*] even back in the day it was pretty implausible that a redneck would shoot random passersby just for being hippies.
We city dwellers are rather naive. This happened all the time in Wyoming, and still does, probably. Strangers passing each other on country roads are careful to follow a ritual of safe passage that I learned on my first trip there. I imagine it's much the same in the deep South.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
how about cowboy zombies?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
I enjoyed it. If you like obscure Westerns with homoerotic undertones, it's one to add to your collection!

I like obscure Westerns, but normally they needn't have homoerotic undertones.

We city dwellers are rather naive. This happened all the time in Wyoming, and still does, probably. Strangers passing each other on country roads are careful to follow a ritual of safe passage that I learned on my first trip there. I imagine it's much the same in the deep South.

Well, I lived in just about the deepest South you can get, geographically speaking anyway, and although there were plenty of shootings they were rarely by rednecks and never, to my knowledge, at random passersby just because people didn't like the way they dressed (my awareness would have extended to rural areas outside of New Orleans). In the city, there were plenty of shootings -- with approximately a murder a day, New Orleans had a higher murder rate then than Chicago does now, not even per capita, just total -- including one across the street from my apartment, so I wasn't exactly naiive on that subject. The victims sometimes were random passersby, often children, but in those cases usually the shooter would be aiming at someone else, for a specific reason, and the passersby just happened to be in the way.

I can't speak for the late '60s, but I'm pretty sure if it were happening all the time in Wyoming now -- random people getting shot by strangers -- we'd hear about it. Actually, I've traveled in Wyoming a fair amount and never heard of following a ritual of safe passage (except don't feed the bears in Yellowstone). At least, I didn't follow any, and I emerged unscathed. Of course, I wasn't much of a hippie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_in_the_United_States_by_state

According to this Wikipedia chart, you are far less likely to get murdered in Wyoming than in either of our states. In 2010, there were 8 murders in Wyoming, 91 in Minnesota, 117 in Colorado. In total murders, Wyoming was the second-lowest state after Vermont (7) and just under North Dakota (9). Of course, Wyoming is sparsely populated. But even per capita, WY's murder rate is lower at 1.4 (MN: 1.7, CO: 2.3). For gun murders, the rate per capita is WY is 0.9. In MN: 1.0, CO: 1.3. This despite a much higher rate of gun ownership in Wyoming than in either of our states. (Note: not an argument against tightening gun laws.)

Jeff and Chuck, I hate to say this, but you guys are relatively doomed. The gun murder rate in Pennsylvania is higher than Texas (!), 3.6 vs. 3.2. New Jersey's is lower: 2.8. That surprised me a bit -- sorry, Chuck, but I guess NJ just has that reputation, thanks a lot, Sopranos -- but the overall murder rate is lower in NJ, too: 4.1 vs. PA's 5.1.

But getting back to Wyoming, we all know the story of Matthew Shepard, so obviously the state is not without risk. Depending on who your traveling companions were, sadly, they may have felt the need to be extra cautious.  :-\  >:(

Here's a page that discusses Easy Rider's ending. From what I can tell in a quick google, it was intended more as symbolism than realism.

http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/37203/explanation-of-the-ending-of-easy-rider

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Funny, I had seen some statistics when I was researching gun violence that Wyoming is a hotbed for it. Don't know if I'll be able to dig that up again. But let us think about the fate of poor Jack. His death was deemed to be an accident, brought on by his own klutziness in changing a flat tire. But there are those who think he was murdered simply because of the way he looked and acted. What's the true story? It will never be found in statistics.

Coincidentally, I am reading about Monroe Work, who documented the murders of countless people of color. It's an interesting read: http://www.monroeworktoday.org/

I myself have traveled quite a bit in Wyoming, especially the rural areas. One of the reasons I've gotten to see so much of the state is because my very presence added a measure of safety and "respectability" to my traveling buddy and allowed us to safely pass by.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Funny, I had seen some statistics when I was researching gun violence that Wyoming is a hotbed for it. Don't know if I'll be able to dig that up again. But let us think about the fate of poor Jack. His death was deemed to be an accident, brought on by his own klutziness in changing a flat tire. But there are those who think he was murdered simply because of the way he looked and acted. What's the true story? It will never be found in statistics.

Jack didn't die in Wyoming. He died in Texas.

But perhaps you were actually thinking of that tough old bird Earl, and momentarily confused him with Jack? But Earl wasn't shot. He was beaten to death.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
Jeff and Chuck, I hate to say this, but you guys are relatively doomed. The gun murder rate in Pennsylvania is higher than Texas (!), 3.6 vs. 3.2. New Jersey's is lower: 2.8. That surprised me a bit -- sorry, Chuck, but I guess NJ just has that reputation, thanks a lot, Sopranos -- but the overall murder rate is lower in NJ, too: 4.1 vs. PA's 5.1.

Statistics never tell the entire story. I'm sure Philadelphia is responsible for most of that statistic, but, on the other hand, most of the shootings here are similar to what you described in New Orleans. They're also mostly young-black-male on young-black-male gun violence, and it's not uncommon that drugs are involved in some way (e.g., sales turf), or somebody coming on to somebody else's girlfriend, or somebody "disrespecting" somebody or somebody's girlfriend--or teens or, worse, young children who get shot by stray bullets. In any case, this sort of thing doesn't happen in the areas of the city I frequent. Of course, that doesn't mean they never will, only that they haven't.

I think, Katharine, that as a woman, you'd be far more likely to be raped and strangled in my part of town than I would be to be shot. (That sort of crime did happen just a few blocks west or here about 20 years ago. Two knuckleheads were arrested, charged, and tried, but they were acquitted. Officially the case has never been solved.)

I'm not sure what FRiend Lee might mean by "a ritual of safe passage," but once when I was traveling through Wyoming with OCD, he told me that expected behavior is to raise one hand, maybe touch the brim of your cowboy hat, when you pass another driver on a secondary or back road. I'd just think of that as "Wyoming good manners," rather than as a "ritual of safe passage." But maybe she's referring to something with which I'm not familiar.