Author Topic: Need advice on renters insurance  (Read 1721 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Need advice on renters insurance
« on: November 29, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »
The economy has got the best of me, nearly 6 months without a job, my unemployment is rapidly running out and I'm forced to move in with my mother. She has a tiny home, so I'm only taking the basics and storing my stuff. I have two issues though.

1) A friend is renting a home with a garage. She has offered the use of her empty garage as storage to me, free of charge. I will put the majority of my stuff there. However, she has no rental insurance but I do. So my questions are, what do I tell my insurance agent? Do I give them her address as my place of storage but emphasize it's just the garage stuff I want to cover? Will they do this?

2) My mother is near invalid (another reason it's a good idea to move in with her). As far as I know, she has full homeowners insurance on both the house and the interior goods. I would expect her insurance to cover the minimal stuff I will be taking to her house (but I'm taking my expensive electronics that won't survive sitting in my friend's garage). HOWEVER, my mother's home does not have central air, she has space heaters that are run on natural gas. So there is always a pilot light on or open flame somewhere in the house, especially during the winter. Problem, she has been on oxygen therapy for going on 3 years now. She has a big oxygen tank sitting in her bedroom. Needless to say, I think this is an ENORMOUS fire hazard. Since she's lived this way for years, she doesn't think it's all that bad so long as she isn't on O2 when very close to the flame. Plus, she's no choice,  she has to have the O2 and she's nowhere else to go. I don't think she's told her insurance company about her current lifestyle. So my question is, if something does happen, an explosion and fire, will insurance still cover the losses?