Author Topic: Kosher for Christmas?  (Read 7075 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Kosher for Christmas?
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 04:25:44 pm »
What's a messianic Jewish church?  Do they have churches?  I thought Jewish people had synogogues.  Is it the same thing?

I don't know hardly anything about it, but I think the gist (at least originally) is that just like all Jews who believe a messiah will come, this version believe the messiah did come, and it was the guy the Christians celebrate.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 04:32:22 pm »

I don't know hardly anything about it, but I think the gist (at least originally) is that just like all Jews who believe a messiah will come, this version believe the messiah did come, and it was the guy the Christians celebrate.

Which is exactly the definition of the basic difference between Judaism and Christianity.

A Jewish church that believes Jesus to be Messiah is a contradiction in terms.
It they believe Jesus is Messiah, they are Christians.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 04:38:11 pm »

Which is exactly the definition of the basic difference between Judaism and Christianity.

Looks like you're right, Sonja.

From Wiki:

Messianic Judaism is a religious movement that differs from mainstream Christianity and from Judaism by combining elements of each into a single faith.

Like other Christians, its adherents believe that Jesus of Nazareth, whom they call Yeshua, is the resurrected Messiah and often the Divine Savior.[1][2][3] Messianic Judaism adds to this some observance of Jewish Law, which is not generally practiced (and often discouraged) in Christian churches.[4] These observances include observing Jewish Shabbat, abstaining from pork, shellfish, and other foods banned by Jewish law, and observing Jewish holidays. As of 2003, there were at least 150 Messianic synagogues in the U.S. and over 400 worldwide.[5] By 2008, the number of Messianics in the United States was around a quarter million.[6] The number of Messianic Jews in Israel is reported to be anywhere between 6,000 and 15,000 members, including the mainly Messianic Jewish village of Yad HaShmona, near Jerusalem.[7][8]

Although some Messianic Jews are ethnically Jewish, and argue that Messianic Judaism is a sect of Judaism,[9] the various streams of Judaism are unanimous in their rejection of Messianism as a form of Judaism,[10][11] and both Christians and Jews consider Messianic Judaism to be a form of Christianity.[12] Messianic belief in the divinity of Jesus is seen by the great majority of Christians and by Judaism as being the defining distinction between Christianity and Judaism.[10][12][13] This is also the opinion of the Supreme Court of Israel which ruled that the Law of Return should treat ethnically Jewish individuals who convert to Messianic Judaism the same way it treats Jews who convert to Christianity.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messianic_Judaism

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 04:48:46 pm »
Yep

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:09:09 pm »

Can I watch while you argue with them that they aren't what they say they are?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 05:13:04 pm »
Can I watch while you argue with them that they aren't what they say they are?  ;D

They can call themselves whatever they want. Doesn't nessecarily mean that's what other people regard them as.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 06:51:24 pm »
They can call themselves whatever they want. Doesn't nessecarily mean that's what other people regard them as.

Reminds me of certain other discussions around here lately.  :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 06:58:06 pm »

Reminds me of certain other discussions around here lately.  :laugh:

Ooops..... that wasn't my intention.