Author Topic: Firemen are cute  (Read 5320 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Firemen are cute
« on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:05 am »
Well, that was exciting.  I was cooking dinner and didn't check my oven closely enough and a plastic plate had slid off in the back and caught on fire when I turned on the oven to cook some french fries.  It wouldn't stop burning.  Smoke was pouring out and I finally dialed 911.  There's a fire station two blocks from my apartment and they were here in 3 minutes.

4 big guys in full gear.  They used my puny extinguisher to put out my fire.  Worked real well considering I'd had that extinguisher just sitting around for over 10 years.

Now, my chicken dinner is covered in dry extinguisher stuff and my cats are terrified and I'll likely have to have my stove replaced with a new one, just as I'm about to move out.  >:(

But the firemen were cute.

Offline delalluvia

Re: Firemen are cute
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:33:52 pm »
Well, I won't have to clean my kitchen when I move.  The maintenance guy came again this morning and took stock and said they'd have to put in a whole new stove, pull out the old one, the built in shelving and the lineoleum and put in new flooring and a new freestanding stove.  But it'd take 3-4 days and did I want them to do it now or after I move?  I told them not to bother until after I've moved.  The stove top still works and I can use my toaster oven if I have to bake.

I've never lived anywhere this long before and I was also told that I could have had new carpeting put in 5 years ago.  Oh, well, that's another thing I won't have bother cleaning.

So there is an upside to not getting my deposit back.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »
Glad it wasn't worse!  That's a good example of how quickly catastrophes can occur when we least expect them.

But the firemen were cute.

So there is an upside to not getting my deposit back.

And these are good examples of looking on the bright side!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »
Glad it wasn't worse!  That's a good example of how quickly catasrophes can occur when we least expect them.

And these are good examples of looking on the bright side!

Especially the cute firemen!  ;D

Fires can spread so quickly--glad this one was pretty much confined.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:17:20 pm »
Especially the cute firemen!  ;D

So did you get any phone numbers, or are you going to have to start another fire?

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:16:23 pm »
So did you get any phone numbers, or are you going to have to start another fire?

I started the fire, inhaled horrible fumes, called 911, gave them my extinguisher to put out the fire, they saw the mostly nude art I put on my refrigerator, stared at my cleavage (my dress was very low cut and I wasn't wearing a bra - gee it was cold last night).

They know where I live.  Do I have to do everything?  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:39:50 pm »
Glad it wasn't worse!  That's a good example of how quickly catastrophes can occur when we least expect them.

What scared me the most.  Once 911 transferred me to the fire dept and I explained the situation, smoke was pouring out of the oven.  They told me to get everyone out of the house.  It's freaking freezing outside, I'm in a sun dress and wool socks, the cats have scattered and the big cat carrier was full of pet supplies.  I rushed over to it and realized I wasn't going to have time to empty it out and then find the cats, force them into it and get outside.  I had to keep running back to the kitchen to make sure the fire hadn't flared up.  My brave Kenobi cat came up to me and I promptly grabbed her and threw her out on the cold balcony and locked her out.  I couldn't find Kabuki to save both our lives.  Yeah, now I know why people just run outdoors in whatever they're wearing and not thinking about anything else when a fire starts.  I didn't even think about getting dressed or putting on shoes. 

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:54:34 pm »
I started the fire, inhaled horrible fumes, called 911, gave them my extinguisher to put out the fire, they saw the mostly nude art I put on my refrigerator, stared at my cleavage (my dress was very low cut and I wasn't wearing a bra - gee it was cold last night).

maybe they were all gay.

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »

They were guys, weren't they? You know men. Sometimes you have to hit us with a two-by-four just to get our attention. ...

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 11:59:33 pm »
They were guys, weren't they? You know men. Sometimes you have to hit us with a two-by-four just to get our attention. ...

;D

I think a second fire this weekend would do it!  ;D

And then say, "You'll freeze your ass off when that fire dies down ..."

pnwDUDE

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:36 am »
stared at my cleavage (my dress was very low cut and I wasn't wearing a bra - gee it was cold last night).

That's called 'scene lighting'  ;D