Author Topic: Votes needed - choose a pattern  (Read 9750 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Votes needed - choose a pattern
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 12:54:34 pm »
I can't quite visualize what you mean regarding the furniture, so I just picked purely on how my eyes reacted to the abstract pattern. No. 2.

Here's the furniture. It will stand on the opposite wall of the one I'll paint.

I'll hang the bookshelves differently though. Staggered? Not sure about the right word. They won't hang so neatly in a row over the TV and over each other.

Thank you to everybody who voted/chimed in so far! :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 01:01:21 pm »
I voted 1. I like how the stripes on the right tie the sofa to the rest of the room.

It looks very chique Chrissi! Great choice of colours.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 01:08:49 pm »
Thanks for sharing the picture of the furniture Chrissi!  It looks very cool.  Let us know what you pick!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:33:05 pm »
I chose No. 1 - it just seems to flow better to my eye.  Cool furniture, Chrissi - I like red!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 07:56:53 pm »
Thanks for sharing the picture of the furniture Chrissi!  It looks very cool.  Let us know what you pick!

Yes. "White furniture" had me visualizing "white upholstery," and I was thinking, She has kids (and pets?); is she crazy picking white furniture?!?!  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline optom3

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »
No 3 for me, it seems more symetrical, and I love everything ordered, I guess it balances the chaos of my life. I love red and white BTW it reminds me of the dining room in my first house, I even had red and whire china. The grey makes it sophisticated as well as bright.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 08:36:04 pm »
Here's the furniture. It will stand on the opposite wall of the one I'll paint.

I'll hang the bookshelves differently though. Staggered? Not sure about the right word. They won't hang so neatly in a row over the TV and over each other.

Thank you to everybody who voted/chimed in so far! :)

The above is an extremely bright feature wall in its own right. Do I understand correctly that you will be painting the red-and-white patterns on the wall opposite the above furniture? Can any one room cope with TWO bright, red-and-white feature walls? Surely one such feature wall would be more than ample for any one room? And there will be red carpet too?

With all that red-and-white in one room, I believe a cool contrast is what's needed on the wall opposite the bright, lacquered wall fittings pictured above. A nice cool, very soft dove-gray wall (NO patterns!) would make for a subtle, restful contrast. It would act as a cool resting point for the eyes. If you want to continue the bright, retro look, maybe the wall opposite could be painted lime green. Again, as a contrast to all that red-and-white.  

For the above reasons, I voted Other.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 05:23:44 am »
The above is an extremely bright feature wall in its own right. Do I understand correctly that you will be painting the red-and-white patterns on the wall opposite the above furniture? Can any one room cope with TWO bright, red-and-white feature walls? Surely one such feature wall would be more than ample for any one room? And there will be red carpet too?

Thanks for your insightful comment Kerry :-*.
That's what I asked myself, too. Especially since the room isn't too big (it's not really small either) Maybe I'll rethink and put much less red on the wall. But I'm pretty sure about the red (not hunnerd per cent though).

With all that red-and-white in one room, I believe a cool contrast is what's needed on the wall opposite the bright, lacquered wall fittings pictured above. A nice cool, very soft dove-gray wall (NO patterns!) would make for a subtle, restful contrast.

But then I would have a grey sofa in front of a grey wall. Nah. That's not for me.
And with lime green, or any other additional color, wouldn't it get toooooo colorful? Red + white + grey + whatever?

I'll think more about it.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 05:27:42 am »
Yes. "White furniture" had me visualizing "white upholstery," and I was thinking, She has kids (and pets?); is she crazy picking white furniture?!?!  ???

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
White upholstery - priceless :laugh:.
I would be really out of my mind if I decided for a white sofa with three kids (and a dog who isn't allowed on the sofa).
I may be a bit off with my bright color choices, but I'm not completely nuts ;D.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:05 am »
OK, I made three more with much less red and edited the poll.

Number 4

Number 5

Number 6