Author Topic: Love Your Gay Child  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Love Your Gay Child
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:53:18 pm »
Love Your Gay Child

As reported in the Sydney Star Observer

Wednesday 9 December 2009

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/2009/12/09/love-your-gay-child/18980

Matthew Leveson

It would be trite to say Christmas is a difficult time for Mark and Faye Leveson and their family. Sadly it is all too true this year, as they come to terms with the not-guilty verdict handed down in their son’s murder case, and their quest to find and put to rest his body.

It has been two years since 20-year-old Matthew Leveson went missing after a night out at Arq on September 23, 2007.

Initially Leveson was thought to be the victim of a gay-hate crime but police later turned their attention to Michael Atkins, Leveson’s older lover.

Following a four-week trial this year, and five days of jury deliberations, Atkins was found not guilty — a verdict Matthew’s mother Faye told Sydney Star Observer she “just can’t come to terms with.”

With Matthew’s body not yet found, the Leveson family have created their own memorial by having tattoos.

In terms of a wider legacy, Mark and Faye have a piece of advice — love your gay sons and daughters. No matter what.

“Christmas gets harder each year for us,” Faye said.

“Out of my boys, he was the one who loved the Christmas lights, he loved the whole concept of Christmas, and that’s all been taken away from him."

“He’s been robbed of his life, and his family and friends have been robbed of someone they loved and loved to have a good time with."

“Matthew was a vibrant, beautiful, fun-loving, would give the shirt off his back to help a friend kind of person. Nothing was too much trouble if his friends were in need."

Matthew with
his mother,
Faye Leveson

“He was always there for anybody. He supported us through quite a few hard times, and he was always there for his brothers."

“Every time (the defence) tried to mention the gay scene, they tried to make it seem dirty, and it’s not. It angered us, because it made it seem dirty and sleazy, but there’s no difference between a gay relationship and a straight relationship.”

To Matthew’s father Mark, being gay was irrelevant. “Nothing changes … though his fashion sense changed a bit,” he said with a slight laugh.

Faye advised other parents, “Accept them, accept them no matter who they are.”

Losing their son prompted the Levesons to deliver a heartfelt message to those parents who may struggle when their son or daughter comes out.

“Whether they’re gay, lesbian, bi, straight, they’re who they are, and they’ve still got beautiful hearts and they’re still your children,” Faye said.

“Embrace them. Love them. Don’t shun them.”

According to Mark, the family is looking for legal avenues to resurrect the case. He said the prosecutor is scouring transcripts looking for grounds for appeal.

Their other hope is that someone may come forward with new evidence, which may lead to the discovery of Matthew’s body.

“That would mean everything to have his body,” Mark said.

“We can’t have a memorial for him, because we can’t place something in the ground, so we’ve all had tattoos done to commemorate Matt."

“Somebody has to know something,” Faye continued, appealing to anyone from the community to come forward if they know something.

“We’ll find him. I’ll get the evidence, and we’ll eventually get justice.”

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Love Your Gay Child
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:59:35 am »
 :-\
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:00:56 pm »
I hope Matthew's family finds justice, and peace soon.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:31:40 am »
Both of my children appear to be hetero. I'm kind of disappointed! But I love them...how can a parent not love their children??
"chewing gum and duct tape"