Author Topic: Horse is falling off the menu in France  (Read 21967 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Horse is falling off the menu in France
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 10:21:17 am »
Why do I bothter to explain, when everything is so professionally illustrated on wikipedia? :laugh:

The even have the Helmut Kohl part explained ;D. And they state that pig stomach is similar to haggis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saumagen

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 11:14:32 am »
It's poor people's food until it starts to become popular, then the price starts rising.  Same thing happened here in the SW U.S.  Fajitas used to be something done to make a cheap cut of meat - flank steak, I think it is - more palatable.  Well, the popularity of the dish took off.  Now the prices on flank steak and the price of fajitas in restaurants is no longer cheap.

Good point. And let's not forget there was a time in US history when nobody wanted to eat lobster either.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2009, 11:15:56 am »
... the main thing / motivating factor (in addition to news about animal abuse against stock reported from time to time)  that sticks out in my mind was walking through a cow pasture with Lee on the side of Brokenback Mountain during the summer of 08.  Seeing those cows and their calves and being so close to them has impacted me more than I can describe or rationalize (I know it's not a logical thing).  And, it's not like that was the first time I ever encountered cows before... but this image always stops me in my tracks especially when it comes to consuming beef.  I didn't stop eating meat right away after that... but by the fall of 08 I'd stopped.  
I remember that day, friend! It was very elegaic walking down the slopes of Brokenback through the cow pastures. Some of the cows had white faces and it reminded me so much of the beginning of the movie we had just seen, The Dark Knight. Remember the part where the bank robbers wore sad clown masks? These cows had sad white faces too and I could almost imagine them taking off their masks and there being a person underneath. So, I can very much understand your reaction. It also reminded me of a scene in Amarcord, the Fellini movie, where the young boy is walking home from school in the fog and sees a monster ahead of him. When he gets closer, it turns out to be a cow looking at him with that dumb expressive face.
It seems way too easy to think of meat as an abstraction... especially with the way it's packaged in modern grocery stores.
This is definitely true. All meat eaters should be in touch with the processes of raising and butchering the meat that they eat. Hunting, fishing, visiting farms, being in the country...sheepherding.  ;)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2009, 11:33:31 am »
Wow! Your ancestors brought this tradition from the Palatinate over to the New World. Pig stomach = Saumagen. That's a Palatinate specialty!

I'd never really thought about it that way, but of course it makes perfect sense! All those thrifty Calvinists who came to Pennsylvania from the Palatinate would never let any part of the pig go to waste!

I'd never heard the part about Helmut Kohl. That's pretty funny. I didn't know he was a Pfalzer.  :)

I think in other parts of the U.S. (South?) pig stomach is called hog maw. On the old 1960s situation comedy The Beverly Hillbillies, they used to talk about eating hog maw--and also 'possum.

"My people" don't eat 'possum, but they do eat groundhog. I once asked my dad if he'd ever eaten groundhog. He said had once, and he didn't much care for it. The volunteer fire department where my maternal grandfather (hence my dad's father-in-law) was a member had a "Groundhog Supper." Dad said he couldn't get out of trying the roast groundhog--he said the meat is very dark--but my mother utterly refused to taste it!

Edit to add:

Oh, gosh, Grandma once wanted to make pig stomach for Thanksgiving--my mother put a stop to that idea rather quick, volunteering to cook the dinner herself rather than have pig stomach for Thanksgiving!  :laugh:  I would bet, however, that it was just a coincidence; I doubt Grandma was aware that it was "traditional" among the Pennsylvania Germans for Thanksgiving. I've never heard it referred to as hog maw in my part of Pennsylvania.

That's still pretty funny about Helmut Kohl.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2009, 08:32:46 pm »

Wow! Your ancestors brought this tradition...Pig stomach = Saumagen. That's a Palatinate specialty!

Yet another reason people immigrated to the New World.  ;) :laugh:

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:32 pm »
The most unusual food I've ever tried is chicken feet in the Dominican Republic. It was definitely presented to me as a 'test' so opting out wasn't an option.  The closest description I have is ultra-crunchy french fries. :/
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 10:19:41 pm »
I ate a fried pig's tail at a Zydeco festival in Louisiana. The flavor was fine -- like bacon -- though it was a bit too obviously ... a tail. It was curly.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 10:27:39 pm »
I ate a fried pig's tail at a Zydeco festival in Louisiana. The flavor was fine -- like bacon -- though it was a bit too obviously ... a tail. It was curly.

Well, so are curly french fries. I bet bacon-flavored curly fries would be good!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »
The most unusual food I've ever tried is chicken feet in the Dominican Republic. It was definitely presented to me as a 'test' so opting out wasn't an option.  The closest description I have is ultra-crunchy french fries. :/

Eeew. I think I'd have to use an awful lot of ketchup. ...  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 10:54:50 pm »
Well, so are curly french fries. I bet bacon-flavored curly fries would be good!  ;D

Probably. Because you wouldn't be thinking about how you were eating a ... TAIL.