Author Topic: Why is it a problem to address a Senator as a senator?  (Read 18666 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Why is it a problem to address a Senator as a senator?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 05:18:40 pm »
If Barbara Boxer is so insecure that she needs the lip-service respect of title when she's already clearly getting the respect due to her position as a senator, maybe she should be voted out of office. ...

Damned uppity of her to ask to be addressed as anything  but "Barbie."  She oughtta be put in a small rowboat and set adrift.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 05:20:55 pm »
:laugh:  I was thinking the same thing!  Years ago, I was an adjunct at a community college, teaching a business law class.  There was another adjunct, who insisted that his students refer to him as "Dr. ____."  Now, although attorneys have a "juris doctor" they are never, never addressed as "Dr." It simply is not done.  And I remember all the eye-rolling that was done behind his back.  I also remember how shocked he was when he asked me how my students addressed me and I told him that they called me by my first name.  Some of the students were older than I was at the time! :laugh:

The subject is a US Senator, not an academic professional.  And addressing a Senator is "Senator" is simply done.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 07:58:43 pm »
Wanting to be addressed by your proper title is only lip-service and a sign of insecurity?  Hmmm, maybe I should tell my doctor or a judge or a police officer that next time I see them.... ::)

When I get stopped by a policeman, I always answer--"Yes sir" or "No sir". I don't think I'm being disrespectful by not saying, "Yes, officer." or "No, captain." or whatever. And they don't correct me on that point.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »
When I get stopped by a policeman, I always answer--"Yes sir" or "No sir". I don't think I'm being disrespectful by not saying, "Yes, officer." or "No, captain." or whatever. And they don't correct me on that point.

In that case, you know exactly what to say should a US Senator arrest you.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 02:38:33 pm »
The subject is a US Senator, not an academic professional.  And addressing a Senator is "Senator" is simply done.

Yes, but I was replying to Jeff's post, which did bring up the subject of academic professionals. 

If you read all the posts, you'll note that I said:

I'm not criticizing her for asking to be addressed as "Senator."  She's entitled to be addressed as she asked.
and

...I, personally, would not have been offended or bothered if he had called me ma'am.  But if Senator Boxer wants to be addressed as "Senator," that's her prerogative...
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 07:18:50 pm »

I think its a matter of respect.  You wouldnt address the President as sir.  If he kept calling you
General, etc.  You would use their proper title.  Even after a person is no longer in office.  They are
still addressed as former Pres, Senator, representative, or whatever.

Beautiful mind

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 01:34:23 pm »
In that case, you know exactly what to say should a US Senator arrest you.

Why would a senator arrest speeders?

Anyway. I noticed during the roll call vote for the health care bill, whoever was calling each senator's name said "Mr." or "Miss" or "Mrs.", so it must not be mandatory to use the title, "Senator". The general was right, and the senator was wrong and rude to publicly correct him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 02:14:23 pm »
Why would a senator arrest speeders?

Anyway. I noticed during the roll call vote for the health care bill, whoever was calling each senator's name said "Mr." or "Miss" or "Mrs.", so it must not be mandatory to use the title, "Senator". The general was right, and the senator was wrong and rude to publicly correct him.

Who was doing the roll-calling?   A general?

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 10:12:52 pm »
Who was doing the roll-calling?   A general?

I don't know. It was a woman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~