Author Topic: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)  (Read 130377 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: "A Single Man"
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 10:48:09 pm »

That's it, I'm going tomorrow!

(Paul, when is Don's cameo? I'm slow on the uptake, and I don't want to miss it!)

It's in the university faculty room.  I forget exactly when.

Enjoy, and report back.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 11:02:21 pm »

It's in the university faculty room.  I forget exactly when.

Enjoy, and report back.

Thanks, I will! (It's at the Paris--perfect!)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 06:37:46 am »
Thanks Paul for sharing your impressions.
A single man premiered in Italy at the Venice Film Festival last summer, where Colin Firth was awarded the Golden Lion for best actor.
In an interview he said that normally after the filming is over he forgets all about the character he has played, whereas in the case of A single man the character stayed with him for months.
I am very much looking forward to seeing Colln in this role.
BbM, I swear

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 07:47:42 am »

Saw it yesterday and it may well be my top film of 2009!
It's a gorgeous and lyrical film that affected me in a similar way that BbM did.  It is sublime.  Although a small film, and an extremely gay one at that (in the best sense),  it is intellectually & emotional vast.  These are not just pretty pictures as some have said.  Colin Firth will be nominated for an oscar.  Well, it will be a crime if he isn't.   A couple of really pretty boys in it at well, lol!  That's not even including the excellent Matthew Goode

ABOUT A BOY indeed!
Nicholas Hoult (all growed up)

I don't know what Tom saw in this one, lol!  :o
Newcomer & Spanish supermodel Jon Kortajarena

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 11:49:43 am »
Gee, Gil, top film of 2009?  That says a lot, coming from you.  I have to agree.

So, I went again, on Tuesday, with Leslie and her daughter Hannah (who all trekked down from Maine and brought very frosty weather with them) and a Lynne-on-vacation.

Leslie of course found Don Bachardy's cameo right away (aside to John:  he says "Good morning, George" as George enters the faculty room, toward the beginning of the film).  

I must say it held up quite well to a second viewing.  Colin Firth's performance continues to amaze.  I found more compassion for Julianne Moore's character (although George is alone even with his best friend).  Picked up on lovely little details (including Ford's seeming obsession with eyes) and enjoyed the music even more.  Soundtrack is to be released on January 5 according to amazon.

IMDb notes that Ford had originally hired a "more famous" young actor to play Kenny.  Leslie uncovered a rumor that it was to be Jamie Bell, of Billy Elliott fame, also all growed up.  Jamie was reportedly canned after not showing up for a fitting, and was fortunately replaced by the 6' 4" Nic Hoult.  

I haven't made up my mind about Matt Goode.  I disliked him in Brideshead, and I'm not sure about his American accent here, but he does deliver a great line in this:  "I think I'm taken".

The better-than-James-Dean Jon Kortajarena is indeed breath-taking, and very affecting in a brief scene.  I hope to see more of him.

Our conclusion:  more kissing, please!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 12:08:56 pm »
I just read my first review of this film last night.  I'm so glad that you are all saying such glowing things.  I feel proud of Tom Ford - I can't explain quite why.  

Grief that has to be kept hidden is devastating, isn't it?  I've seen it in families who kept a pregnancy secret, so that when a miscarriage came, they kept that secret too.  

This has now risen to the top of my Want To See list.  Wish it could be at The Paris.  Say hi to it for me, John.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 12:17:34 pm »
Thanks Paul for sharing your impressions.
A single man premiered in Italy at the Venice Film Festival last summer, where Colin Firth was awarded the Golden Lion for best actor.
In an interview he said that normally after the filming is over he forgets all about the character he has played, whereas in the case of A single man the character stayed with him for months.
I am very much looking forward to seeing Colln in this role.

Hi, sel.  It's a well-deserved award, for sure.  I see he's also nomimated for a Golden Globe. 

I can see why the character stayed with him--same with me. 

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »
A word or two about the music.  At the first viewing, I thought the composer, (Abel Korzeniowski) was a Philip Glass wannabe.  On a subsequent viewing, I found it more varied, even reminding me of the music in Lust, Caution

A couple of period songs include Etta James in great voice singing "Stormy Weather" (instead of "At Last"); and Booker T's "Green Onions". 

Amazon has sound clips of all pieces. 

Interestingly, Stephen Trask is mentioned at the opening credits as musical consultant.  I remembered him as the composer for Hedwig and the Angry Inch  (in fact, he played the black-lipsticked band member Skszp in the film). 

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 01:34:12 pm »
A word or two about the music.  At the first viewing, I thought the composer, (Abel Korzeniowski) was a Philip Glass wannabe.  On a subsequent viewing, I found it more varied, even reminding me of the music in Lust, Caution

I loved the music in Lust, Caution. One more reason to see it.  :)

Saw it yesterday and it may well be my top film of 2009!
It's a gorgeous and lyrical film that affected me in a similar way that BbM did.  It is sublime.  Although a small film, and an extremely gay one at that (in the best sense),  it is intellectually & emotional vast.  These are not just pretty pictures as some have said.  Colin Firth will be nominated for an oscar.  Well, it will be a crime if he isn't.   A couple of really pretty boys in it at well, lol!  That's not even including the excellent Matthew Goode

I won't open in Italy until Mid-March.  :(
BbM, I swear

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 04:41:40 pm »
Here's what you were talking about, sel.  Colin Firth with Tom Ford in Venice:  Colin speaking about working with Ford and about the character which indeed stayed with him.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2ClCPGkMI[/youtube]