Author Topic: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)  (Read 129328 times)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: "A Single Man"
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:05 am »
Thank you John and Meryl for reporting back!  :D
The fondue looks delicious.
BbM, I swear

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:03 am »

Well all, I saw it today.

I guess after reading everything on here, and building it up into being some new "Brokeback Mountain" that's gonna change the face of the world again, I have to say I was sorely disappointed.  :-\

While the acting was good, and the use of the colors was good, I thought the story plot was just, meh.  Why are we also seeing him in water all the time?  I also don't care for twinkie boys, so that didn't do it for me neither.  And what was up with that ending?

Well, the theatre I saw it at (Cinearts Santana Row in San Jose) have already moved it into their smallest auditorium, and there was only about 30 people in the theatre for the 5:15pm show Sunday.  Sorry, I do not see this "crossing over" into mainstream like BBM.  It's WAY too art-housy.  Even if it gets any nominations.  I see this to struggle to make 8-10 million.  :-\

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2010, 03:08:32 am »
One thing that struck me about this movie was how positively the women were portrayed.

I actually did not think Charley was "positive" at all.  She was a niave selfish bitch who only wanted him for herself.  With her "Why didn't you marry me and have a REAL relationship" and "your lover was just a infatuation" (or whatever she said, someone correct me please) comments, I was glad to see him shut the door on her as he walked out on her.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2010, 11:39:08 am »
I beleive she said that Jim was a substitution, which makes no sense. Substituting for what? If he were straight, he could have had his pick of women. Hell, he could have his pick of women while staying gay! I thought she was just drunk. You have to admit, that scene was easier on her than the Ennis/Alma scene at Thanksgiving. Charley had her bad side, but she had a good side too.

Yes, I also got tired of the underwater sequence, too. I had just seen a similar scene in Little Ashes that I thought was done better.

I don't think anyone here has the feeling that this will become a mainstream hit, although there is quite a bit of buzz about it. A very good debut effort for Tom Ford and a very worthy film to see, but no Brokeback Mountain. There is quite a bit going on under the surface though and I'd like to see it again for more insight.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2010, 12:46:39 pm »
Eric, I don't think it's the new Brokeback Mountain either.  But since Brokeback Mountain, I find I'm easily disappointed with films (including all of Jake's recent ones, and Heath's Imaginarium). 

So, when this one hit me, emotionally and artistically, I got excited--I wanted to see it again, and to read the book.  I agree that it's an art-house kinda film, and may not cross over, but I found it worthwhile.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2010, 03:11:25 pm »
I beleive she said that Jim was a substitution, which makes no sense. Substituting for what? If he were straight, he could have had his pick of women. Hell, he could have his pick of women while staying gay! I thought she was just drunk. You have to admit, that scene was easier on her than the Ennis/Alma scene at Thanksgiving. Charley had her bad side, but she had a good side too.

Right, that's what she called it.  I think it's similar to Alma, but with Alma, she didn't say anything about it, and she finally just blew up like a pressure cooker.  Charley knew he was gay and acknowledged it, but was sort of in denial or misunderstanding/naive about it.  The look on her face when he shut the door on her was classic!  I'm glad he stood up for himself to her and walked out.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »
Eric, I don't think it's the new Brokeback Mountain either.  But since Brokeback Mountain, I find I'm easily disappointed with films (including all of Jake's recent ones, and Heath's Imaginarium). 

So, when this one hit me, emotionally and artistically, I got excited--I wanted to see it again, and to read the book.  I agree that it's an art-house kinda film, and may not cross over, but I found it worthwhile.

I hear what you're saying Paul.  I wonder if we'll ever have another "cross-over" movie about us.   :-\   That's why Brokeback was so important to me.  I knew it's phenomonom would most likely never be repeated.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:52 pm »

I hear what you're saying Paul.  I wonder if we'll ever have another "cross-over" movie about us.   :-\   That's why Brokeback was so important to me.  I knew it's phenomonom would most likely never be repeated.

I doubt Brokeback will ever be repeated. 

But, "A Single Man" is a sensitive, intelligent film made by an out filmmaker.  That's something to celebrate too.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2010, 03:20:33 pm »
I doubt Brokeback will ever be repeated. 

But, "A Single Man" is a sensitive, intelligent film made by an out filmmaker.  That's something to celebrate too.

You're right.  It is a step up from most of the gay themed movies that are made these days.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »

You're right.  It is a step up from most of the gay themed movies that are made these days.

Yikes that's harsh, lol!  You really were disappointed.

I think it's funny that Tom Ford insists that A SINGLE MAN  isn't a gay film.   I thought it was one of the gayest films I've ever seen and that's part of the reason I loved it so much.  I kept thinking throughout that I, as a gay person, was the target audience and would be very surprised if it did cross-over into the mainstream because of that.

I could also completely relate to the scene with Julianne Moore.  What gay man hasn't had the rug pulled from under them by someone they considered a close friend?  Some casual homophobic comment suddenly makes you reassess your whole relationship with them.  ("That's what s/he thought all these years?!)  Of course, she was clearly in love with him so I cut her some slack, plus she gives good dinners, lol!

Anyway, I think a SINGLE MAN is more than a "step-up" from most gay movies, it certainly affected me in ways that most (American) gay films don't.  Then again maybe I just like stylish & visually stunning films, lol!

I guess I also don't see the appeal of a film becoming a mainstream hit so i don't see it as a fault if a film remains in the  "arthouse".  Of course I realize the financial value of a movie becoming mainstream, both for it and future gay-themed projects, but artistically-speaking I think mainstream appeal comes with a price.

As for BbM, my favourite movie still, I can't explain why it crossed-over except that maybe it was one of those zeitgeist things.  :-\ ( Couldn't have been the fact that everyone in it denied being gay, of course, lol!)