Author Topic: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)  (Read 129312 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "A Single Man"
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2010, 12:36:57 am »
I've found myself thinking a lot about this movie.

It is certainly one of those movies that grows on you over time. What scenes do you recall most often?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2010, 10:37:28 pm »
Another cameo:  sitting next to Isherwood's partner Don Bachardy in the faculty lounge scene, is Tom Ford's partner, Richard Buckley, to whom Ford dedicated the film.  

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2010, 10:44:25 pm »
I just saw "Chris & Don:  A Love Story" again tonight, the first time since Tru and I saw it in 2008.  What a wonderful and generous film.  Theirs was a daring relationship, unapologetic and out at a time when that was rare. 

Don remarks on the genesis of "A Single Man".  When they were in a bad patch, affairs and the like, Chris imagined what life would be without Don.  So, George was born, dealing with the loss of his partner. 

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »
I finally saw A Single Man this past Friday!  :D

Much rambling and Spoilers!  Spoilers!  Spoilers! ahead...

Alright, I walked out of the theatre thinking: "It was good.  Ok.  Good movie." and nothing more because I guess I was still cold from the ending. But then, thinking about it a day later, I realised I actually loved it.  Here are a few reasons why:

- The film felt like the visual representation of a vivid, sensual, somber poem.  Like everyone else has probably mentioned, I loved the use of colors (bright or bleak) to convey George's moods.

-  Colin Firth.  Colin Firth. His acting was superb.  I thought the casting was great for all the main characters, but Colin Firth especially blew me away.
The scene where he gets the call about his partner Jim's death, followed by "the service is for family only" -  His anguish is tangible in this scene and it pretty much slayed me.

- Matthew Goode.  There is something about his face that expresses openness and innocence and longing all at the same time.  I have no idea how he does it but I love it.  The "I think I'm taken" scene is one of my favorites.

- Nicholas Hoult.  Is he seriously the kid from "About a boy"? lol.  I would never have guessed.  I really loved his portrayal of Kenny.  Kenny's encounters with George were so intriguing because aside from the obvious sexual tension between the two, every time they looked at each other, you could see so many more questions than answers in their eyes.  Fantastic exchange between the two of them.

- Julianne Moore.  Great job of portraying needy, clingy Charlotte.  I sympathised with Charley to a point, even though she mostly irritated me.  

- I squeed when I saw the bank teller lady (played by Erin Daniels) - she was only one of my favorite characters from The L Word. ;-)

The morning after I saw the movie, my gf (who hasn't seen it yet) asked me what the movie was about and what I thought of it.  I gave her a fairly detailed gist of it and how I had hoped for a different ending (much like how I felt after watching BBM).   She said - "At least the last hours of his life were happy and he didn't go the way he was planning to all along.  Much better to go out the way he did, don't you think?".  I hadn't really thought about it like that.  And I had to agree.

I may go back for another viewing actually.   :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:33 pm »

- I squeed when I saw the bank teller lady (played by Erin Daniels) - she was only one of my favorite characters from The L Word. ;-)
You mean the Arpege lady? I loved her!

I may go back for another viewing actually.   :)

Yay!! Me too!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 07:51:34 pm »
The film felt like the visual representation of a vivid, sensual, somber poem.

Exactly.  I'm glad you liked it, Milli.  Have you read the book?  The ending is similar, but the middle is different.

You mean the Arpege lady? I loved her!

Actually, the Arpege lady is the young blonde in the faculty office.  George comments on her hair, her beauty, and whispers, "Arpege".

Another viewing is always a good idea!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35:52 pm »
I believe I want to see A Single Man again myself.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2010, 03:01:24 am »
Yay! The movie has moved up the release calender. It's opening here on February 24th.  :)

And I've ordered the book on amazon.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »

Congrats to Colin Firth on his Oscar nomination for "A Single Man".

Fully merited, methinks.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2010, 02:24:33 pm »
Congrats to Colin Firth on his Oscar nomination for "A Single Man".

Fully merited, methinks.

I completely agree.  I had no idea Colin Firth was such an amazing actor until A Single Man!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."