Author Topic: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)  (Read 129320 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2010, 06:34:08 pm »

I hope Tom Ford has lots more favorite books he wants to turn into movies.

Me too!! I'm with you...I didn't see Crazy Heart and have no desire to. But Jeff Bridges is a darling of the Academy and belongs to a Hollywood dynasty family. Oh well. Colin is getting great honors elsewhere in more enlightened parts of the world.

I'm glad you saw it and liked it, Fabienne!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:50 pm »
I'm with you, Fabienne and Lee.

It's my best film of 2009 by far.

I actually saw Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart, and was underwhelmed.  Just like in 2006, I saw Philip Seymour Hoffman in Capote to check out the competition. 

Ennis and George are genius creations. 

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Rob... thanks for the photo, Michael!
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:45 pm »
I saw both 'A Single Man' and 'Crazy Heart'. I returned to see 'A Single Man' seven times. Only saw 'Crazy Heart' once.

I certainly agree that Colin should've won!!!
Brokeback Mountain changed my life!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2010, 12:08:34 am »

A-men.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2010, 04:17:57 am »

Sure enough.

Well I woke up this morning, thinking about George. I have a feeling he's going to be with me for some time coming.

I've read the book last week and both the movie and the book have the same 'clinging' quality. You can't shake these characters off, even if you wanted to.

One thing that didn't feel quite right in the movie: I thought George didn't really look 16 years younger during the flash back scene in the bar, when they first met. Or maybe that just means that he had aged really well.

Julianne Moore was fantastic wasn't she? She should have been nominated too.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2010, 04:31:40 am »

I just noticed that the ridiculously homophobic MPAA gave this movie an R rating!!  (Unbelievable!  It's PG and G here.) Do any of you actually think this is warranted?  Why don't cinephiles riot in the streets!

Hi Gil, I'm a few pages behind.  I'm the mother of a 7 year old, and that is where I'm coming from when I say that an R rating seems appropriate to me.  I am raising my daughter to see the nice lesbian couple who live next door to us as our great neighbors, and doing my best to have her see gay as one of the normal facets of life (and she does).  The gay content of A Single Man is none of the reason I would give it an R rating.  Most of the subject matter is very mature - depression, drinking, flirting, contemplation of suicide, teachers having personal relationships with students.  It's a very grown up movie.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:12 am »
I've never heard about the Suevi, had to look them up. It doesn't seem that they had anything at all to do with Sweden.

Where in Sweden is your ancestor from?

She was my maternal great-grandmother on her father's side, named Louisa Dahl, from a place, apparently, called Dahl or Dahle.  She left Europe from an unknown port, possibly a Dutch port, on the USS Rotterdam, which was one of the large international ships carrying immigrants to America during the early 20th century, in 1916, which is, curiously enough, the same ship (not necessarily the same trip, however), as my former husband's grandfather.  Her genes most definitely dominate as I and my mother Louisa look very much like the portrait of Louisa Dahl.  I have always wondered whether she left Europe because of anti-Jewish sentiment, since the disease I was recently diagnosed with occurs with far greater frequency among  Ashkenazi Jews.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

A-men.  8)

You mean Gay-men?

;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2010, 03:28:50 pm »
She was my maternal great-grandmother on her father's side, named Louisa Dahl, from a place, apparently, called Dahl or Dahle.  She left Europe from an unknown port, possibly a Dutch port, on the USS Rotterdam, which was one of the large international ships carrying immigrants to America during the early 20th century, in 1916, which is, curiously enough, the same ship (not necessarily the same trip, however), as my former husband's grandfather.  Her genes most definitely dominate as I and my mother Louisa look very much like the portrait of Louisa Dahl.  I have always wondered whether she left Europe because of anti-Jewish sentiment, since the disease I was recently diagnosed with occurs with far greater frequency among  Ashkenazi Jews.

Interesting.

Dahl is a common enough Swedish name, not a Jewish one however. In those years Eastern European Jews migrated to Sweden, not from it, to escape pogroms. My great grandfather was one of them.

There could be several small villages in the country, or farms, called Dahl - or probably Dal.

Genealogical research in Sweden shouldn't be too difficult, provided you got some more details about her, since records have been thoroughly kept for hundreds of years.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »
Interesting.

Dahl is a common enough Swedish name, not a Jewish one however. In those years Eastern European Jews migrated to Sweden, not from it, to escape pogroms. My great grandfather was one of them.

There could be several small villages in the country, or farms, called Dahl - or probably Dal.

Genealogical research in Sweden shouldn't be too difficult, provided you got some more details about her, since records have been thoroughly kept for hundreds of years.

I would be glad to try to look it up, I do not believe that I have her birthdate however.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”