Author Topic: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)  (Read 129296 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "A Single Man" (beware spoilers)
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2010, 02:25:21 pm »
I don't know.  I haven't paid a lot of attention to ratings in the past.  You could well be right that as soon as there is a dominant gay character in a movie that that might get the MPAA uptight.  But it's still a very adult-themed movie, even if it would be about a woman and a man.

I'm just surprised that people, here especially, would consider A SINGLE MAN innapropriate for teens.  I guess you would also agree that BbM deserves it's R rating as well. 
Perhaps the MPAA really does reflect US standards.   ??? 

Sorry if my posts seem snarky lately, I really don't mean them to be, lol!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2010, 04:02:13 am »
I'm just surprised that people, here especially, would consider A SINGLE MAN innapropriate for teens.  I guess you would also agree that BbM deserves it's R rating as well. 
Perhaps the MPAA really does reflect US standards.   ??? 

Sorry if my posts seem snarky lately, I really don't mean them to be, lol!

I started my part in the conversation saying that I'm the mom of a seven year old, and that's where I'm coming from!  I haven't been talking about teens.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2010, 08:48:35 am »

I started my part in the conversation saying that I'm the mom of a seven year old, and that's where I'm coming from!  I haven't been talking about teens.
I realize that and i agree that the film is inappropriate for that age group, but I got the impression that you (and others)  seemed fine with the R rating.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:28:26 am by oilgun »

Offline brianr

« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:24 pm »
I saw the movie on Friday. It only opened in NZ on Thursday. I knew the book was in my bookcase and i purchased it probably 20 years ago. However I did not recognise anything. I have read the book since and feel I probably did not finish reading it when purchased as I do not like slow novels and probably gave up after a few pages. I really hated the movie while watching it but thought better of it by the end. Of course Colin Firth was brilliant and rescued it for me. Thinking about it, I much preferred the film but have no wish to see it again and certainly the book can go in my next clean up. And I totally disagree with Kerry. This elderly gent was quite taken by "Kenny" (Nicholas Hoult )in the movie. Oh the dreams of the old.  ;D

The main effect on me about which I wrote in my blog was that I felt very wistful at never having had a relationship like Jim and George.
And I was again smitten (probably slightly more realistic but only slightly) by Matthew Goode (Jim) who I liked in the movie of Brideshead Revisited.
Perhaps I missed it but I did not get the feeling in the book that George contemplated suicide which, of course, dominates the film.
I was at university at the time of the story and felt the film reminded me a little of that time when homosexuality was only discussed in psychology books and considered a perversion. I did pride myself on picking up the anachronism when Kenny said "Cool" and "blows my mind" which often amaze me when I read them on IMDb, I am rarely so observant but I guess with a career as a teacher of teenagers I notice the changes in their language over the years.

Offline Clyde-B

• Clyde-B when he was Jack and Ennis's age
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2010, 10:19:58 pm »
BTW  A Single Man due out on DVD & Blu-Ray July 6, 2010.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:35 am »
Just finished reading "A Single Man" and was interested to read Christopher Isherwood's description of Kenny:

"Kenny Potter sits in the front row because he's what's nowadays called crazy, meaning only that he tends to do the opposite of what most people do; not on principle, however, and certainly not out of aggressiveness. Probably he's too vague to notice the manners and customs of the tribe, and too lazy to follow them, anyway. He is a tall skinny boy with very broad stooped shoulders, gold-red hair, a small head, small bright blue eyes. He would be conventionally handsome if he didn't have a beaky nose; but it is a nice one, a large humorous organ."

Fey, delicate, effete, doe-eyed, blow-dried? I think not.   :-\

And I could find no reference to fluffy sweaters.   ::)

Well, Jamie Bell certainly would fit that description.  I understand why he was the first choice.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2011, 11:13:53 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing Jamie Bell in The Eagle! He's been away from the big screen too long.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2011, 01:22:27 pm »
I was very happy for Colin Firth's Oscar last night for "The King's Speech". 

He very graciously thanked Tom Ford. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2011, 02:28:14 pm »
I was very happy for Colin Firth's Oscar last night for "The King's Speech". 

He very graciously thanked Tom Ford. 

It was a lovely speech, pun intended.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2011, 03:14:11 pm »
I think it will be a while before Netflix gets their copy of A Single Man back from me. I watched it again last night and enjoyed looking for things I knew about this time around.

The scenes with Jim, especially the one where they meet, is just so sweet and understated.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."