Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698641 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
I did my own official weigh-in today, and am ready to get started.  It's great we can support one another here. 

It's good to review the laws of thermodynamics:  "eat less, move more".  How each of us does that is up to us.  Let's share ideas.

I did mine as well.

I've found that what works best for me is the eliptical machine.  I seem to lose the weight if I spend my time on this.

Also, you need to spend a good amount of time exercising.  I've heard 30 minutes 3 times a week.  I believe that's to MAINTAIN your current weight.

If I want to lose weight, I have to do 5 days a week, 50 - 60 minutes of exercise.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 12:29:31 pm »

I seem to lose the weight if I spend my time on this.

This is sooo wrong, the way I shortened your quote ;) :laugh:
But I couldn't resist when you give me such a great pass ;D.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 01:04:42 pm »
put me down for 40. I feel very inspired by Lee´s trips, and would like to hike more. For that I need to get fit.

Yay, Monika! Plus you can also get more fit WHILE hiking, especially if you have a backpack on and/or hiking boots!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 01:15:27 pm »
I've found that what works best for me is the eliptical machine.  I seem to lose the weight if I spend my time on this.

Also, you need to spend a good amount of time exercising.  I've heard 30 minutes 3 times a week.  I believe that's to MAINTAIN your current weight.

If I want to lose weight, I have to do 5 days a week, 50 - 60 minutes of exercise.
Penth, you is bad!!

I love the elliptical machines too, Chuck. They work out not only my lower body but also my arms, with those handles that move back and forth (Behave, Chrissi!) Plus, see those smaller handles? Grasp them to monitor your heart beat. I find I have to get my heart beat up to about 120 to start breaking a sweat. If I don't do this for at least 10-20 minutes, my workout doesn't do me any good at all...might as well skip it!!

Yes, losing weight takes time as friend Chuck pointed out. Ellipticals, swimming, running, maybe biking help you progress faster. I have never been able to lose weight by walking. It simply takes too much time and my knees start hurting before I reach the payback zone. Aqua exercising work well too...our friend LauraGigs is a testament to that! I tried to sign up for a class this morning but they were filled already. I did sign up for a women's mountainclimbing class. I've heard it's a workout, so I'm willing to try!!

When I enrolled in the Pinedale Half-Marathon, I was given a workout regimen that has been productive. I do a cardio workout every other day. At least 35 continuous minutes of running, ellipticals, dancing, etc. On the alternate days I do weight lifting, yoga, and core exercises. Okay, sometimes I do housework or gardening instead. I try to do about an hour of exersizing on these days.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:50 pm »
put me down for 40. I feel very inspired by Lee´s trips, and would like to hike more. For that I need to get fit.

I'm with you on the hiking thing!  I felt like Moose hiking up Moose Mountain!

Great idea, Paul!

Put me down for 10.  Alas, too much time sitting in front of the computer has taken its toll.    :(

You're in.  Good point, Fran.  Yakkin' on BetterMost ain't too good for weight loss.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »
A little morale booster:  when I stood on the scale this morning to weigh in, I discovered I had lost 5 pounds during the holidays!  I'm still aiming for 30 more, however. 

It's nice to see so many folks joining in, with different goals. 

I figure we can keep in touch here.  Feel free to make suggestions (thanks, Chuck and Lee).  Has something worked for you in the past?  Or not worked?  I'll try to add or ask for a tip every day or so, regarding eating and exercise. 

Here's today's tip:  don't weigh yourself every day! 

We're not looking for day-to-day progress, rather slow and steady change over time.  Daily weights will just get you discouraged!  I would suggest either weekly or every other week weights.  Pick the same time and same day, like Monday morning.  Keep a notebook.

Perhaps we could update the first post here with our progress on monthly basis; i.e. check in with -5, or +2, or whatever.  People can pm me if they want.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 05:04:16 pm »
Calorie Needs to lose weight

There are approximately 3500 calories in a pound of stored body fat. So, if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on. The calorie deficit can be achieved either by calorie-restriction alone, or by a combination of fewer calories in (diet) and more calories out (exercise). This combination of diet and exercise is best for lasting weight loss. Indeed, sustained weight loss is difficult or impossible without increased regular exercise.

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:07 pm »
Hey Paul, great idea for a new thread!   ;D

I'm on, and my goal is to lose 20 kg. (yes, I'm metric!!  :D)

Exercise is not really my thing, except for my daily bike tour to and from work (30 min each way),
so my plan is to cut down on calories.

I've got a sweet tooth, so I do know where to start....  ::)

(no Chuck, I do not need your comment on that!!  ::) ;) ;D)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 05:34:08 pm »
I'm with you on the hiking thing!  I felt like Moose hiking up Moose Mountain!

Well, as long as you didn't feel like Mountain, it can't be too bad!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 08:04:47 pm »
Hey there friend Brokies

I'll try to add or ask for a tip every day or so, regarding eating and exercise.  
Here's today's tip:  don't weigh yourself every day!

Thats a really good tip.  Lots of times its easy to tell the weight is coming off by the way my clothes fit.   As of now I dont fit into most of what I was wearing just a year ago, or its unflattering.  It takes time to pick out what outfit I can wear.

Alas, too much time sitting in front of the computer has taken its toll.    

I know what you mean Fran.  I need to do crunches to tighten up my core.  Hopefully walking will help tighten my butt.  Lunges are really good for that especially.  I suffer from chronic pain though, so its not going to be easy for me.  Mind over matter