Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698425 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 05:10:53 am »
I've been reading that not getting enough sleep makes people fat.  (It's past 1am here.)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 06:02:32 am »
Well if not getting enough sleep causes you to gain weight, then I take the cake.  It just 5am here and Im wide awake.  I "dont never" get enough sleep.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 12:45:51 pm »
Good luck, everyone!  May your weight-loss dreams be fulfilled this year.  :)

I of course need to join you, but I'm not committing just now.  Too much stress ahead, with a production about to kick off.  But when I did succeed at losing weight (26 pounds, year before last), it was on Weight Watchers, and it wasn't so much from exercise either.  Portion control was the big factor.  I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, but in much smaller portions.  Once you become really aware of what you're consuming daily, you'll get the weight off.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 12:54:51 pm »
One tip that I have is to get exercise where ever you can.

Example.....I work on the 4th floor of a building, so I take the stairs instead of the elevator.  I also make a point of just walking up and down the stairs at different pointd during the day.

There's a branch about a mile down the road.  When I need to take a transaction there, if the day is slow enough, I walk instead of drive.  That means I get an extra two miles of walking in during the day.

Going to the mall?  Don't circle around looking for the nearest spot.....park farther away, and you'll get extra exercise walking to and from your car.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 01:16:04 pm »
Well if not getting enough sleep causes you to gain weight, then I take the cake.  It just 5am here and Im wide awake.  I "dont never" get enough sleep.

5 a.m. is a good time to exercise, friend!! More exercise and you'll sleep better, I promise you!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 01:30:36 pm »
Good luck, everyone!  May your weight-loss dreams be fulfilled this year.  :)

I of course need to join you, but I'm not committing just now.  Too much stress ahead, with a production about to kick off.  But when I did succeed at losing weight (26 pounds, year before last), it was on Weight Watchers, and it wasn't so much from exercise either.  Portion control was the big factor.  I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, but in much smaller portions.  Once you become really aware of what you're consuming daily, you'll get the weight off.  8)

If you all don't mind my sticking my nose in here, may I also suggest the little visual trick of using luncheon or salad plates instead of dinner plates? It makes your plate look fuller with less food on it than a dinner plate.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 01:53:37 pm »
I went to the store and bought some low-fat, sugar-free articles today. It's a start anyways. It's hard to get exercises here at the moment. I don't have access to a gym in the small town where I live. As far as I know, there is only one gym that's open to the public and it's a place where wannabe bodybuilders seem to spend their entire days...so no thanks. Walking is made hard because of the icy streets at the moment. Perhaps I can think of something to do indoors (as long as it doesn't include one of those fitness dvds anyway...)

so to summarize
= YES

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube] = NO

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 02:13:51 pm »
Hi everybody, I just discovered this thread! Paul, please put me down for 20.

I joined Weight Watchers in October, and since then, I'm down about 5 pounds. Not as much as I'd have liked to lose in three months, but a lot better than I usually do during that Dead Man's Curve of the dieting year: three family birthdays, Halloween, Thanksgiving, the holidays, my brother's visit last week.

So after days of nearly nonstop dining out, I'm ready to buckle back down to health portions, lots of veggies, keeping track of points, and all that fun WW stuff. I'm also going to start making more food at home, which will be good for both my weight and my budget.

I should add that this might be my eighth or ninth time joining WW. It DOES work -- if I follow the program, I do lose weight. In fact, I'm now a lifetime member and can start attending for free when I lose another 15 or so pounds. The reason I have to keep going back is what happens when I DON'T attend.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 02:30:24 pm »
Going to the mall?  Don't circle around looking for the nearest spot.....park farther away, and you'll get extra exercise walking to and from your car.

Has anybody suggested doing this when you go to work, also? Park as far away from your job location as you reasonably can, or, if you take public transportation, get off the bus or subway a stop or two earlier and walk the rest of the way.

I do this ordinarily, but in the very cold weather we've been having these past couple of days, I've been staying on the bus to as close to my office as it goes!  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »
Welcome to the club, Katherine.  

I'm loving the suggestions so far.

Moderate exercise does promote better sleep, I'm sure.

Thanks, Meryl, for the encouragement.

Jeff, I love the idea of tricking the eye with smaller plates.  

Monika, finding a balance between diet and exercise is certainly a problem (especially in northern climes).  I know Chuck is very pro-exercise, and others have had more luck with just fewer calories and better habits.  

Katherine and Meryl, can you give a quick blurb on how the WW point thingie works?