Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698494 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »
Jeff, I love the idea of tricking the eye with smaller plates.  

This is what I ordinarily do at home for dinner. I've been doing it for years. I can't claim credit for the idea, but I also can't remember anymore where I heard it.  :-\

I'm sure someone must have already suggested "brown-bagging" your lunch to work. I do that, too. I'm convinced I eat much less when I bring my own lunch than when I buy lunch out.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 02:53:27 pm »
I'm sure someone must have already suggested "brown-bagging" your lunch to work. I do that, too. I'm convinced I eat much less when I bring my own lunch than when I buy lunch out.
I find that to be true too. Especially when eating at a buffet-style restaurant

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20:05 pm »
Great idea for a thread, Paul - I'm just seeing it...

I haven't weighed in a few weeks, but count me in for 50 lbs, just to stick to round numbers.

Here's what I've been doing - going to yoga 1-2X/week and working on de-stressing and meditation.

The Plan for 2010 is to

1) continue the yoga and de-stressing
2) find some time somewhere for cardio at the gym I'm paying for but not using
3) get enough sleep - like Clarissa says
4) have afternoon tea and an energy bar so I'm not starving for supper so I grab what's at hand
5) cut back on alcohol consumption to no more than 2 per evening 2 times a week
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »
I went to the store and bought some low-fat, sugar-free articles today. It's a start anyways. It's hard to get exercises here at the moment. I don't have access to a gym in the small town where I live. As far as I know, there is only one gym that's open to the public and it's a place where wannabe bodybuilders seem to spend their entire days...so no thanks. Walking is made hard because of the icy streets at the moment. Perhaps I can think of something to do indoors (as long as it doesn't include one of those fitness dvds anyway...)

Be careful, friend! Because low fat, sugar-free stuff does NOT equal low calorie or healthy always. Take, for instance, sugar free soda. I'm convinced there is hardly anything worse you can put in your body than that...it leaves you craving bad stuff and gets your system all out of whack. Plus, those imitation butter spreads like margarine. Stay away from those, far away!! What goes on my bread (what little I eat) is pure olive oil, with a little balsamic vinegar and za'tar spice added. That, or dijon mustard (the kind that has no mayo or sugar in it). As a general rule, I advise everyone to avoid processed foods, ennithing in the frozen aisles (except frozen fruits and vegetables), prepared foods, juices, drinks in bottles, and ennithing Starbucks!! (except straight black coffee). Instead of juice, have a piece of fruit. Instead of pizza or frozen dinners, have a salad that you make yourself. Instead of bread, cook up some wheat berries, barley, brown rice, or bulgar. And so on.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 03:28:33 pm »
Yay, Lynne, aim high!

Lee, what in the world is a wheat berry?

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 03:35:20 pm »
5 a.m. is a good time to exercise, friend!! More exercise and you'll sleep better, I promise you!

My Gym opens at 5:30am.  Often think about going then but never do.  The encouragement helps for sure Friend Lee.  Also I like to eat raw vegetables as a snack with no dip!  And I sometimes use smaller saucers rather than a dinner plate.  

They say artificial sweetners are really bad for you.  Does anyone no about that?  I have been really good about staying away from "real" sweets.  I'll google it.

Omg I took a look in the mirror today and I jiggle.  Ewe No Way!  Im in my sweats and off to the gym now.  My normal gym partner just called said she's not going today.  That was the call I was waiting for before I left.  

Plus I really think sitting at my computer reading and posting is really effecting my muscles.  There's such a fine line between pain and wanting to strengthen my muscles.  I hurt either way although the latter is worse.  Any suggestions?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 03:37:05 pm »
Welcome to the club, Katherine.

Thanks, Paul!  

Katherine and Meryl, can you give a quick blurb on how the WW point thingie works?  

In Weight Watchers, you count points, not calories. You pretty much need a WW book (or two, or a membership on their website) to get the exact points for any particular item, and the formula supposedly based on calories, fat grams and fiber grams. But one point roughly translates to about 50 calories. Vegetables, broth, tea, coffee, and a few other things are zero points.

You get assigned a daily points goal based on your weight, age, gender and level of activity. The idea is to eat exactly that many points a day. You also get 35 points a week to use whenever you'd like (5 a day, 35 all at once -- whatever). Excercise earns you more points.

You're encouraged to consume a certain amount of dairy, a certain amount of healthy fats and a certain amount of water every day. Other than that, there are few dietary guidelines. You could eat all your points in chocolate, if you wanted. But you'd quickly realize that you don't get much food that way -- you have to be creative to get satisfying amounts of food while staying within your points allocation.

Members also may weigh in once a week and attend a half-hour WW meeting. I do that, because the meetings can be kind of fun and showing up helps me feel a sense of responsibility and commitment that I can't summon as well on my own.

But you can also do it all online, at www.weighwatchers.com (I feel like I'm posting spam!  :laugh:).

All of this you can do on your own, of course, and I always feel a bit resentful that I'm having to pay for it. But it does work.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 03:44:04 pm »
Be careful, friend! Because low fat, sugar-free stuff does NOT equal low calorie or healthy always. Take, for instance, sugar free soda. I'm convinced there is hardly anything worse you can put in your body than that...it leaves you craving bad stuff and gets your system all out of whack. Plus, those imitation butter spreads like margarine. Stay away from those, far away!! What goes on my bread (what little I eat) is pure olive oil, with a little balsamic vinegar and za'tar spice added. That, or dijon mustard (the kind that has no mayo or sugar in it). As a general rule, I advise everyone to avoid processed foods, ennithing in the frozen aisles (except frozen fruits and vegetables), prepared foods, juices, drinks in bottles, and ennithing Starbucks!! (except straight black coffee). Instead of juice, have a piece of fruit. Instead of pizza or frozen dinners, have a salad that you make yourself. Instead of bread, cook up some wheat berries, barley, brown rice, or bulgar. And so on.
I totally hear what you're saying Lee, and you're right about what you're saying. But, if I'm honest with myself, I know I could never maintain that kind of lifestyle. I lack both the discipline and passion for it. and I don't like to cook. SO what I'm trying to do instead is to find better alternatives food wise, not necessarily the best, but better alternatives that I believe I can live with in the long run.

Of course, the best solution would be to have a private chef. What do you say, Lee?  O0 :D
(Everything you wrote about sounded absolutely yummy!)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »
Dev, any luck with going to the pool?  That sounded ideal for you. 

Katherine, thanks for the succinct primer on WW.  I've known friends who have done very well with it. 

I'm not sure we can replicate it here, but we can try to provide a sense of community, if not commitment!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 03:54:03 pm »
Has everyone done their weigh-in?

This is our point zero.  We have set our goals.  I suggest we do our next weigh-in on Monday, February 1.  People can post their progress then, or pm me, and I'll update the first post.

Keep up the ideas, tips, controversies.  We'll keep supporting one another here.

Nice turnout!  We can do it, Brokies!