Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698605 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 03:54:15 pm »
I feel like I'm posting spam!  :laugh:

Surely Spam is something one should give up if one is dieting. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 03:55:36 pm »
Surely Spam is something one should give up if one is dieting. ...  8)

Not to mention scrapple.  :-X

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 03:57:35 pm »
Thanks for starting this thread, Paul.  I just spotted it and it's a great idea.  I don't use a scale, but judging by how my clothes fit, I'm guessing my goal is around 10 lbs.  The past six months have been particularly stressful and I've fallen out of some good routines and into some not-so-good ones. 

I already brown bag my lunch, but I need to take a little more time to prepare something healthier and maybe pack an afternoon snack so I don't nibble while I'm preparing dinner (a very bad habit of mine!).  No more after dinner snacking, either.  And I need to go to bed earlier so I can get more sleep and force myself to get on the treadmill first thing in the morning. 

Okay, I've put it down in writing.  That means I have to do it, right?   ;D

Oh, I see while I was typing that Katherine supplied some info on WW, so I'll just add that, while I've never actually joined myself, my younger sister joined to lose some post-pregnancy weight, became a group leader once she reached her goal and has kept the weight off (my nephew is about to turn 12) ever since.  In fact, on Christmas she was mentioning that she would probably have a very small turnout the next day since most people don't want to be weighed in the day after Christmas.  But by the middle to end of January, there are always plenty of new members!
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »
What in the world is a wheat berry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_berry

Not much there, but it defines the term.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2010, 03:59:57 pm »
Not to mention scrapple.  :-X

Indeed!  :P

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:02 pm »
I went to the store and bought some low-fat, sugar-free articles today. It's a start anyways. It's hard to get exercises here at the moment. I don't have access to a gym in the small town where I live. As far as I know, there is only one gym that's open to the public and it's a place where wannabe bodybuilders seem to spend their entire days...so no thanks. Walking is made hard because of the icy streets at the moment. Perhaps I can think of something to do indoors (as long as it doesn't include one of those fitness dvds anyway...)

LOL Monika!!

I can totally see where you're coming from. There's a hell of a difference between this:

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

and this:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:02 pm »

Lee, what in the world is a wheat berry?

Bear with me, while I illustrate with a story. When I was a teenager growing up in Kansas (call me Dorothy if you wish!) my father took me out in the country one time to show me the oil well we owned (well, one-16th of it) that was paying for my college tuition. While we standing there in the middle of a field, he broke off the head of some grass that was growing there, shook out some seeds from it, and gave them to me to taste. I said, "That's delicious!! What is it? I must have some more!!" It turned out to be wheat berries, the raw seeds of the wheat grain. Since then, I cook some up about once a month and indulge myself. It's certainly a long ways away from white bread!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:22 pm »
It's certainly a long ways away from white bread!!

Since I got into the habit of eating whole-grain breads, I'd as soon eat cardboard as white bread.

Cardboard is probably better for you than the average store-bought white bread.  :P

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 04:49:51 pm »
LOL Monika!!

I can totally see where you're coming from. There's a hell of a difference between this:

and this:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »
I've also lost weight with WW. The WW method DOES work, as long as you stick to it.

I lost 37 kg, (I believe it's about the double in pounds), and stuck to it for about 3-4 years.
Then different things happened in my life and I lost control over my eating habits again.

My plan now is to go back to those healthy eating habits I once maintained, and hope to be able to
do it without actually going back to the actual WW. I hope this thread can replace the WW meetings as
a source of good ideas and moral support. And also to give myself a sense of responsibility to my own goals.
It's a lot easier when there's someone to check in with.

When I got used to the WW method, I slowly let go of the actual points counting. Instead I learned
to estimate the amount of food by the eye. A simple rule I tried to follow was: half the plate filled with veggies, raw or cooked, (no fat sauce or dressing!), a forth filled with meat, fish, beans or such, and a forth with pasta, rice, barley, potatoes or the like.

It worked fine, as long as I stuck to it. Now I just have to drag myself back to those good habits.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre