Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698598 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:06 pm »
Tell you what, I find that greens keep for weeks for me in a good, old-fashioned Tupperware crisper!

Really?  I usually keep my lettuce in a salad spinner (which doubles as a crisper) and I find it tends to start getting slimmy or wilty within a week.  I'm really picky about lettuce though... once I start finding leaves that have gone bad I tend to get turned off from the whole batch.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:39 pm »
Really?  I usually keep my lettuce in a salad spinner (which doubles as a crisper) and I find it tends to start getting slimmy or wilty within a week.  I'm really picky about lettuce though... once I start finding leaves that have gone bad I tend to get turned off from the whole batch.

I've never had a salad spinner. Are they intended to be used for storage? I suspect that nothing keeps food fresh like good ol' Tupperware!  :laugh:

With any type of green that forms a "head," if you throw the whole thing out when the outer leaves start to get icky, you miss the best, tastiest part, the "heart."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:18 pm »
I wash the lettuce, spin it, let it air dry, then put it in a container -- not Tupperware but probably similar -- that pushes out all the air. It lasts for maybe a week.

I haven't tried those kind with the roots, but I've tried the basil one, and it's great. Especially if you put the roots in water or dirt.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2010, 03:23:54 pm »
I occasionally have problems with lettuce too, but I have a compost bin AND a couple of chickens, so that takes care of that! Plus, I don't eat as much lettuce in the winter as I do in summer, when I can pick it out of my garden. Let me know if you need any arugula seeds, Kathryn!!

Okay, I finally got my benchmark weight established and started my notebook. Thanks again for starting this thread Paul.

I also decided to start Lent a little early like I did last year. I'm giving up the same thing as last year too...no more alcohol until April 4, Easter. I hope this works because otherwise it's going to be very difficult for me to lose 10 lbs. One time I hiked 17 miles in one day and only lost a half a pound!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2010, 03:46:53 pm »
I don't eat as much lettuce in the winter as I do in summer, when I can pick it out of my garden.

Lettuce right out of the garden is definitely best (same goes for tomatoes, perhaps even more so!). I had some at my dad's last summer. Still on an ordinary week day, I eat salad twice a day, year in, year out.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2010, 05:53:02 pm »
Still on an ordinary week day, I eat salad twice a day, year in, year out.

Jeff, you're so regular.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »
 :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »
Jeff, you're so regular.  :)

That's what eating salad twice a day will do for you.  :laugh:

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2010, 10:34:03 pm »
That's what eating salad twice a day will do for you.  :laugh:

I am making you all eat carrot cake!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2010, 03:20:31 am »

I love Jacques Pépin!  His book, Fast Food My Way,  is brilliant.  One of the best recipes is chicken persillade, very simple, and pretty healthy.  I cooked this just last night:

It involves boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut up in cubes, dredged in a little superfine flour, and cooked quickly in just a little olive oil over high heat.  At the end, you add the persillade, which is simply finely chopped parsley and garlic.  So simple, but great flavor.  (Jacques says it's the flavor of his childhood, when his grandmother cooked everything with parsley and garlic.)  A squeeze of lemon, serve over a little rice, or a bed of lettuce.  

Bon appétit!

Thanks, Paul.  This recipe's definitely a keeper!  I made it tonight for the family, and they loved it.  I served it over jasmine rice and added some steamed broccoli.  I couldn't find the Wondra flour, not even at Whole Foods, so I just used the regular kind.

In case anyone needs more detailed cooking directions, I found the recipe at Amazon by using their "search inside this book" function.

Jacques Pépin's Chicken Breasts with Garlic and Parsley
(From Fast Food My Way)

Dry chicken cubes well before you season them.  Don’t put them in flour till you’re ready to sauté them.  Wondra flour (finely milled) will work best....  Use a 12-inch skillet (nonstick).
4 servings

3 boneless chicken breast halves (over 7 oz. each) cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch cubes
2 T Wondra flour
½ t salt
½ t freshly ground black pepper
2 T good olive oil
1 T chopped garlic
3 T chopped fresh parsley
2 T unsalted butter
1 lemon (quartered)

Dry chicken cubes with paper towels and toss them with flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl.  Heat oil in skillet over high heat till very hot but not smoking.  Add chicken cubes and cook in one layer, turning occasionally, for about 3-1/2 minutes.  Meanwhile, combine garlic and parsley in a small bowl. Add the butter and parsley mixture to skillet and sauté for 1 minute longer, shaking the skillet occasionally to coat the chicken.

To serve, divide among four plates, add a wedge of lemon to each plate and serve within 15 minutes.