Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698622 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »
The dieting season, he said, begins “sometime after the Super Bowl, and they keep making the Super Bowl later and later,” but people still indulge in chocolate for Valentine’s Day and begin seriously cutting calories only in March, as they contemplate stripping down for summer and beach wear.

In New Orleans, the dieting season doesn't begin until Ash Wednesday. Through Mardi Gras, people bring king cakes in to work every day, and there are as many parties as there are around Christmas. It's like extending the weight-gain season by a couple of months.  :P >:(

Personally, though, I think the tendency to forget about counting calories and indulge in treats for a couple of months each year can be a healthy one. Mentally healthy, anyway.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2010, 03:23:34 pm »
In New Orleans, the dieting season doesn't begin until Ash Wednesday. Through Mardi Gras, people bring king cakes in to work every day, and there are as many parties as there are around Christmas. It's like extending the weight-gain season by a couple of months.  :P >:(

Personally, though, I think the tendency to forget about counting calories and indulge in treats for a couple of months each year can be a healthy one. Mentally healthy, anyway.

That reminds me, it's almost Fastnacht season.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2010, 06:00:15 pm »
I lit my new soy oil candle. Have you seen them? The soy oil is warmed and liquified by the flame. You can scoop it out with a little (included) silver spoon and put it directly on your skin and massage it in. Heavenly!! However, I welcome more stress busting tips. I think you can all guess what my second favorite stress busting activity is...hanging out here!!

Here's where you can find these wonderful soy massage oil candles: http://www.magicfairycandles.com/

Still need more stress-busting tips!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2010, 07:05:57 pm »
Anybody got any ideas or tactics to share for dealing with feelings of hunger?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2010, 08:08:38 pm »
Drinking water helps me when I'm hungry.

Or keeping something low cal around to snack on when hunger hits.  Dry cereal, fresh berries, a slice of cheese, chew gum

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
Drinking water helps me when I'm hungry.

Or keeping something low cal around to snack on when hunger hits.  Dry cereal, fresh berries, a slice of cheese, chew gum

For me, it works best to choose something that's not just low-cal but low-carb. Once I start eating something like dry cereal, I could go on and on -- especially this time of year.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »
Anybody got any ideas or tactics to share for dealing with feelings of hunger?

Hunger pangs are great, Jeff! That's one way you know you are really making progress when you feel that wonderful emptiness! But, if you have hunger pangs at an inappropriate time or if they wake you up at night, you need to change your diet slightly. Eat more frequent smaller meals. Alternatively, eat a little fewer carbs, which are digested most quickly, and a little more protein. Add a little more fat to your main meal, not saturated fat, but perhaps a little flaxseed or olive oil mixed in.

I'm assuming you're talking about hunger pangs in your stomach, not cravings, which is a whole 'nother thing.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:24 pm »
For me, it works best to choose something that's not just low-cal but low-carb. Once I start eating something like dry cereal, I could go on and on -- especially this time of year.

Oh, I know what you mean.....what works for me is measuring out what I want to eat, and then putting it away.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »
Hunger pangs are great, Jeff! That's one way you know you are really making progress when you feel that wonderful emptiness!

I'm sorry but my personal experience does not bear this out.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2010, 12:44:17 am »
I'm sorry but my personal experience does not bear this out.

I should have added "your mileage may differ."