Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698463 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36:31 am »
Aaack!  :o  Here's something that's definitely hazardous to diets: I just found out that it's Girl Scout Cookie time!  :o
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16:07 pm »
Guaranteed weight loss,   come live my life, eat all you want and then burn it all off and some !!!!

It works for me ! Mind you it does wreak havoc with your sanity !!!!

Result, I can now wear an XXXXS  straight jacket !

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:12 pm »
Guaranteed weight loss,   come live my life, eat all you want and then burn it all off and some !!!!

;) :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2010, 05:25:57 pm »
Okay, fellow spinach lovers - here's a Spinach Cookie recipe!   ;D  (Although the 80 gms of butter and 60 gms of sugar doesn't sound very diet friendly - even though I don't know what that is in cups or ounces)  :-\

http://notecook.com/desserts/cookies/spinach-or-beetroot-cookies/

Spinach (or Beetroot) Cookies

Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Serves: 30
Calories/Serving: 42

Ingredients
◦80 gm butter
◦60 gm powdered sugar
◦50 gm wheat flour
◦60 gm plain flour
◦2 tbsp raw spinach puree or
◦2 tbsp raw beetroot puree

Method

1.Cream butter and sugar with an electric beater, till it becomes light and fluffy. Add spinach or beetroot puree to the above mixture and beat well.
2.Sift wheat flour and plain flour. Add slowly to the mixture. Mix well with a spoon to get a soft dough consistency.
3.Line a cookie sheet or a baking tray with aluminum foil. Grease foil. Fill the cookie mixture in the piping bag. Pipe the desired shape. If you like simply put flattened balls.
4.Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes. Let it cool for 15 minutes in the oven. Leave on the tray till it comes to room temperature.

OMG!!!!!!     :o :o :o

Chuckie! You seen this??

;) ;D :laugh:

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2010, 09:51:16 pm »
Well, it's been an interesting three days for me, friends, which has included a 3.5 mile strenuous hike, a rock climbing class, snowshoeing above 10,000 ft in elevation, and, to top it off, ice climbing!! I'm looking forward to weighing in after all this, but am too tired to do so, tonite!! Check in with you, manana!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »

I've had a stressful past year and a half or so. Not as stressful as yours, by far {{{Fiona}}} but by my usual standards stressful: my mom died, I got divorced, lived with my soon-to-be-ex in a house that was on the market for a year, finally sold it at a $50,000 loss, bought a new house, moved to a different state, am underemployed and can't find a job, am a single mom of two challenging teenage boys, one of whom suffered a chronic debilitating stomach ailment and also had his bike stolen -- plus a couple of other things I don't even want to get into on the internet!  ;)

Result: Gained 10 to 20 pounds, depending on when you start measuring. My strait jacket is now a size 12.

Some of us react to stress by eating even more. When times are tough, food is the one thing you know will be comforting and enjoyable -- even if you also know that gaining weight will only make you feel worse in the long run.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2010, 11:12:13 pm »

Alas no spinach for me, but I do make carrot cake, full o'vitamins!!!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2010, 02:04:24 am »
Count me in, I definitely need to lose at least 60 pounds.  I had abdoninal surgery late October to repair 2 hernias and I lost a lot of weight.  I'm not able to eat as much as I used to and I'm still losing, but not as much as I would like.  Back in the 80s I lost 110 pounds following the Atkins (low carb) plan.  It is the only thing that seems to work for me and I'm thinking about going back on it.  I've heard that low carb, high protein diets are bad for you, but when I got pregnant (bear with me) and had prenatal exams, and all that, my doctor told me that I was in perfect health and there was not a drop of sugar in my blood.  I only gained the weight back after I had my daughter and felt compelled to give up the Atkins way of life.  I also couldn't keep up the level of exercise, being a busy new mother who worked outside the home.  I'm enjoying all of the tips here, my fellow Brokies.  I've read that including green tea supplements and drinking plenty of green tea will help with weight loss.  I'm taking 900 mgs of green tea supplements and they seem to be helping.  I may try to cut my carb intake next week and see what happens.  I'm doing walk at home tapes and am walking to and from work.  I'm preparing myself for Tyebo(sp?) which helped me tremendously in the past.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Welcome to our group, friend!

That is just too much stress, Katherine and Fiona. Nobody should be asked to bear that much. Hopefully, stress comes in clumps separated by stress-free periods. We have several threads on BetterMost devoted to stress management, including one started by Amanda and a poll started by Dottie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2010, 11:05:07 am »
I've heard that low carb, high protein diets are bad for you, but when I got pregnant (bear with me) and had prenatal exams, and all that, my doctor told me that I was in perfect health and there was not a drop of sugar in my blood. 

I consider simple carbs worse for you than healthy fat. That is, I think we're better off eating fatty nuts or olive oil than sugar or white bread. (The doctor who invented the South Beach Diet, which is very low-carb, says that if you must eat white bread, like in the bread basket at a restaurant, at the very least you should dip it in olive oil to slow down digestion!) And I know it is possible to lose breathtaking amounts of weight quickly by avoiding carbs, though in my case the weight has come right back.

But I'm also leery of extremely low-carb diets that encourage people to eat all kinds of fatty meats and cheeses but to avoid fruit and whole grains. I don't think that's healthy in the long run.

So when I'm watching my diet, I try to eat one or two low-carb meals a day. For example, I might have eggs for breakfast with vegetables and maybe a bit of cheese, but no toast. Or I'll have a salad for lunch with no bread. What carbs I do eat must be fruit or whole grains. And I'm trying to cut out sugar and sugar substitutes altogether -- so bye-bye, beloved Weight Watchers chocolate-caramel 1-point mini bars!

I'm preparing myself for Tyebo(sp?) which helped me tremendously in the past.

What's Tyebo?  ???

Welcome to our group, friend!

That is just too much stress, Katherine and Fiona. Nobody should be asked to bear that much.

Thank you, FRiend. I feel guilty complaining about stress, though. I do have some problems, but they're all pretty first-world problems. At least I'm not wandering around corpse-strewn streets looking for my loved ones.

I'll check out those threads!