Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698465 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:29 am »
Welcome, Marie.  I'll add you to the list. 

Tell us more about Tae Bo--I've heard of it, but don't know much about it.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:56 am »
Speaking of Adkins, you don't have to resort to a caveman diet!  Think seafood.

I'm lucky, as there's a great year-round fish market here on the Cape.

Here's last night's dinner, with nary a carb in sight.

Cocktail:  one little martini with gorgeous freshly smoked tiny bay scallops, celery and English cucumber spears.  

Raw oysters on the half-shell--yum.

Fresh tuna seared in a dry pan at very high heat, 30 seconds a side, very rare, with a ginger-sesame-soy sauce.

Steamed asparagus.

Clementine for dessert (all right, a little carb).

Then I watched "Ned Kelly" for the first time.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2010, 02:29:00 pm »
I consider simple carbs worse for you than healthy fat. That is, I think we're better off eating fatty nuts or olive oil than sugar or white bread. (The doctor who invented the South Beach Diet, which is very low-carb, says that if you must eat white bread, like in the bread basket at a restaurant, at the very least you should dip it in olive oil to slow down digestion!) And I know it is possible to lose breathtaking amounts of weight quickly by avoiding carbs, though in my case the weight has come right back.

But I'm also leery of extremely low-carb diets that encourage people to eat all kinds of fatty meats and cheeses but to avoid fruit and whole grains. I don't think that's healthy in the long run.

So when I'm watching my diet, I try to eat one or two low-carb meals a day. For example, I might have eggs for breakfast with vegetables and maybe a bit of cheese, but no toast. Or I'll have a salad for lunch with no bread. What carbs I do eat must be fruit or whole grains. And I'm trying to cut out sugar and sugar substitutes altogether -- so bye-bye, beloved Weight Watchers chocolate-caramel 1-point mini bars!

What's Tyebo?  ???

Thank you, FRiend. I feel guilty complaining about stress, though. I do have some problems, but they're all pretty first-world problems. At least I'm not wandering around corpse-strewn streets looking for my loved ones.

I'll check out those threads!

Hi, K!  Your approach sounds very sensible.  There is no going back on the Atkins plan; you stop eating low carb and the pounds will return, and rather quickly.  Dr. Atkins says it is a way of eating that you have to adopt forever.  He mentions people's diets during a time when there was no bread, etc.  And he says that Inuit people eat a low carb diet and seem to thrive.  But it is very hard to live the Atkins way.  I believe I did it so easliy in the 80s because I had a specific goal in mind and I resolved to lose the weight no matter what.

Tae Bo (thanks for the correct spelling, Southendmd) is a method developed by Billie Blanks - a martial arts expert, I believe - that incorporates kick boxing with aroebics.  Right now I can only manage the intro/beginners tape.  The tapes are a tremendous help to me when I want to lose, but I have to work my way up the series.  I read about a woman who lost 20 pounds in one week by exercising to the advanced tapes once a day.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2010, 02:36:43 pm »
Speaking of Adkins, you don't have to resort to a caveman diet!  Think seafood.

I'm lucky, as there's a great year-round fish market here on the Cape.

Here's last night's dinner, with nary a carb in sight.

Cocktail:  one little martini with gorgeous freshly smoked tiny bay scallops, celery and English cucumber spears.  

Raw oysters on the half-shell--yum.

Fresh tuna seared in a dry pan at very high heat, 30 seconds a side, very rare, with a ginger-sesame-soy sauce.

Steamed asparagus.

Clementine for dessert (all right, a little carb).

Then I watched "Ned Kelly" for the first time.

Yes, I'm in an area famous for seafood as well (SF has great fish and seafood markets, as does Oakland) and we even have all -you- can- eat places that serve delicious seafood (all you can eat!!!) at a modest price.  I love your dinner menu!  Last night I had take-out roasted duck from my favorite chinese take-out resturant along with steamed mixed veggies, but I blew it with the pork buns and shrimp dumplings.  I can't resist dim sum, even though I don't believe those bits of deliciousness are that bad?

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »
:laugh:

I remember that!!!

I used to have a shirt that I would wear when I was working out.  It said on it:

"There's a thin man in me screaming to get out.  I ate him!"

hahahahahhahahahahahaha!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2010, 06:36:03 pm »
Both of these are great ideas!

Cabbage is another mostly harmless veggie that can be mixed with mashed potatoes. The Irish call it colcannon, though I think they add cheddar to improve the taste. ;)
Speaking of carbs, here's a tip for those who love mashed potatoes but don't love the carbs: Mix mashed potatoes with mashed turnips or cauliflower, about 50/50. Those veggies are lower on the glycemic index, and will actually make the 'tates more delicious. Add a little butter or olive oil, low-fat milk or sour cream, chives or garlic.

Leftovers? Form them into patties, coat them in breadcrumbs or the like, a little parmesan, and lightly sautee.

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2010, 06:45:45 pm »
Count me in guys. My new regime starts tomorrow. Been back at home a week so time to get back into real life.

I'd like to get back to the weight I was just after I did my trek round Cuba, and just as I met Callum.... I was still a little over the recommended weight but  felt good and I think to get back to this would be really good.

I've put on about 28lbs since then. I guess thats what happiness does for you eh!?

So it's 28 lbs for me.

To do this... its back to just doing a lot of walking and eating more sensibly.. that did the trick the last time (before Cuba) and I lost 4 stone.

I'm also doing pilates every Wednesday lunchtime.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2010, 07:18:10 pm »
Some of us react to stress by eating even more. When times are tough, food is the one thing you know will be comforting and enjoyable -- even if you also know that gaining weight will only make you feel worse in the long run.

Very true, Katherine...in addition to bad times, food is also my companion for happy, celebratory times.   :-\
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »
Welcome aboard friend Kelda! Now don't get too carried away...I want to be able to recognize you when I meet you in June! But even with your svelte body, I'm sure I will recognize your lovely face, so get as carried away as you want! Another plus will be dining with you on lovely Scottish food (which I'm sure I will love) and tramping around the moors and lochs with you or wherever our hearts will lead us!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2010, 08:22:16 pm »
Very true, Katherine...in addition to bad times, food is also my companion for happy, celebratory times.   :-\

Sure enough! Plus so much of socializing seems to revolve around food and drink. Most people I know, what do they do when they want to get together with friends? Go to a bar for cocktails, or go to a resaurant for dinner, and frequently both in the same evening. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't seem particularly diet friendly. For me, even if I choose smart foods in a restaurant, the portions are still larger than I would make for myself at home.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.