Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 704753 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2010, 08:49:02 pm »
Sure enough! Plus so much of socializing seems to revolve around food and drink. Most people I know, what do they do when they want to get together with friends? Go to a bar for cocktails, or go to a resaurant for dinner, and frequently both in the same evening. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't seem particularly diet friendly. For me, even if I choose smart foods in a restaurant, the portions are still larger than I would make for myself at home.  :-\

Yep, it's the curse of both alcohol and food. They elevate celebrations when times are good, and tempt insidiously when times are bad.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2010, 09:43:28 pm »
Welcome to the club, Kelda!  I gotta go figure out what a stone weighs....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2010, 11:32:28 pm »
Yep, it's the curse of both alcohol and food. They elevate celebrations when times are good, and tempt insidiously when times are bad.

And either way they make us fat.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2010, 11:42:23 pm »
Sure enough! Plus so much of socializing seems to revolve around food and drink. Most people I know, what do they do when they want to get together with friends? Go to a bar for cocktails, or go to a resaurant for dinner, and frequently both in the same evening. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't seem particularly diet friendly. For me, even if I choose smart foods in a restaurant, the portions are still larger than I would make for myself at home.  :-\

True, true, Jeff, my Friend.  It's not diet friendly, unless you want to drink something icky like vodka and diet coke.  And I just refuse to compromise in some places.  If I'm having a drink or a cocktail, especially paying restaurant prices, then it's not going to be gross.  I'd rather have one or two good ones than three or four gross ones.

As for the large portions, I just play it by ear.  If something is gargantuan, I immediately put half in a to-go box, and most wait-staff are super-accommodating about this.  One problem - fancy South End (read Paul - kinda places  ;)) actually serve normal person portions, so I end up with the full course.  But that's really a non-issue.  I had pumpkin and/or mushroom soups so many times this fall at a place we like, and although they were creamy and I'm sure not diet-friendly, they were very filling and satisfying so soup and some bread were really all I needed.

About cooking for one (or two) - it's not something I really know how to do well.  I grew up watching my mother cook for 12-16 people and I have trouble not doing that.  For instance, I made chicken mole last night and it served 3, today it served 2 of us again, and there's still enough for 3-4 servings.  It's a difficult thing to calibrate unless you're being super conscientious about it.  Don't get me wrong - I love having leftovers for lunch or whenever, as long as I can push myself away from the table when it's appropriate.

So that's what I've been concentrating on - listening to my body, hearing when I'm full, and reassuring myself there is plenty if I change my mind (a psych component for some reason).

So far it's working somewhat...not reporting in until the 1st but so far I think I'm heading in the right direction.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2010, 05:36:24 am »
Welcome aboard friend Kelda! Now don't get too carried away...I want to be able to recognize you when I meet you in June! But even with your svelte body, I'm sure I will recognize your lovely face, so get as carried away as you want! Another plus will be dining with you on lovely Scottish food (which I'm sure I will love) and tramping around the moors and lochs with you or wherever our hearts will lead us!

;D Sounds good!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2010, 05:37:30 am »
Welcome to the club, Kelda!  I gotta go figure out what a stone weighs....

14 pounds in every stone.. so 28 pounds.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2010, 09:50:46 pm »
Hiya!

Worked out on the eliptical.  I managed to get in 60 minutes.  In that 60 minutes, I was able to get my average heart rate to 140.  I burned about 800 calories.  I "ran" almost 5 miles, which equaled 10,800 steps in total.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2010, 11:18:58 pm »
It's not diet friendly, unless you want to drink something icky like vodka and diet coke.

Tell you what, when I used to tend bar for leather club functions, I could never understand why people would order vodka and Diet Coke, or, really, anything with a diet soda as a mixer. Even then I would think to myself, "For cryin' out loud, if you're gonna drink the booze, you might as well have regular soda."

Fun factoid: In those days, the Diet Coke button on the bar "gun" was still labeled with a "T"--for Tab!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:50 pm »
Fun factoid: In those days, the Diet Coke button on the bar "gun" was still labeled with a "T"--for Tab!  ;D

Your age is showin', cowboy!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:07 pm »
Your age is showin', cowboy!

I don't mind anymore, once I realized lots of people don't get the privilege of being as old as I am.  :-\