Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698652 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #280 on: February 19, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »
 A vegetarian sheep?  ;D

Would have been a lot easier for Jack and Ennis to untangle those from the Chilean sheep...

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »

Hmmm--interesting!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7273281/Chocolate-bar-that-can-be-eaten-during-Lent.html

Chocolate bar that can be eaten
during Lent

A "healthy" chocolate bar which can be eaten during Lent
has been invented by scientists who replaced the fat with
water.

Experts said the breakthrough could help tackle Britain?s obesity crisis
by producing a 'new generation of low-fat foods'.

By Andrew Hough
Published: 8:00AM GMT 20 Feb 2010

The low-fat chocolate containing almost two thirds water is said to taste identical
to regular bars and could pave the way for a new generation of “healthy” foods.

Researchers are also developing a low-fat mayonnaise and porridge which prevents
people from feeling hungry by staying in their stomach longer.

Experts said the breakthroughs could help tackle Britain’s obesity crisis by producing
a “new generation of low-fat foods”.

Recent figures showed that child obesity was rising in England – from 10 per cent
of children in 1995 to 17 per cent in 2008 – while almost one in four adults in Britain
are now considered obese.

In their research, University of Birmingham scientists discovered they could replace
a normal chocolate bar’s fat particles with calorie-free substances such as water,
air or gels.

The team, which are in negotiations to develop their research, created the
“water-chocolate” by then connecting water particles with cocoa butter crystals.

The bar, which contains about 60 per cent water, was found to have the same
taste, smell and feel in a person’s mouth.

Because the particles are so small, they also discovered the new “healthy” bar
could even melt at between 89F and 93F (32-34C).

“It is possible that small, stable, air bubbles designed to resemble oil droplets in
terms of their size and physical properties could be used to produce a new
generation of low fat foods,” said Dr Philip Cox, who led the research.

A similar technique has been known to reduce a food’s salt content by up to
80 per cent because water is hidden inside oil droplets.

This means only an outer skin contains any salt.

The researchers said their new “super porridge” can last in a person’s stomach
for up to six hours because liquid changes into a gel after coming into contact
with stomach acid.

Prof Ian Norton, who is overseeing the research, said: “It remains there for
5-6 hours, so is perfect for between meals.

“We are well advanced with the work and are already talking to manufacturers
about creating products based on our research.”

Prof Norton told the Evening Standard  that the new mayonnaise tasted
identical to full-fat produce but with just five per cent fat.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2010, 11:23:40 pm »
I'll believe it when I taste it!  :P

(But I hope it's true!)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »
I was reading an interesting article in The Denver Post this morning, "In Search of Fab Abs". Fitness expert Rhonda Filetti says, "Everybody has a six-pack; it's in there already." Isn't that nice to know?! All you have to do is uncover it to reveal the muscles under all that fat!!

The story explains how to do that, and also addresses how to strengthen your core to build abdominal muscle and help repair and prevent lower back problems.

Regarding chocolate, the story also touches on foods with MUFA: monounsaturated fatty acids. These foods include nuts, olive oil, avocado, and dark chocolate. Yes, they have calories but in moderation their benefits are worth expending more of your calorie budget on. As usual, the article recommends eschewing carbs such as white flour as in breads, pastas and baked goods, white rice, sugar, sodas, and alcohol.

My favorite chocolate snack of late is Nestle's Chocolatier Bittersweet Baking Bar with 62% cacao. A serving (1 square) has 70 calories with the fat (45 calories) coming from milkfat and cocoa butter. It is chock full of antioxidants and mood enhancing substances. It's what I splurge on in the afternoon when I need a boost, that or a handful of whole raw unroasted unsalted almonds. You just can't get any better than those two snacks IMHO!

Although it's called bittersweet, it's not in the least bitter.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2010, 01:16:01 pm »
I use a lot of olive oil and nuts. Avocado, too, though less often.

Mashed avocado makes a good healthy sandwich spread. Mix it with a little lemon or lime juice to give it zing and keep it greenish. Or add a bit of salsa, cayenne and/or hot sauce. Add lettuce, arugula or other greens, lightly dressed in olive oil. Top with some kind of protein: tuna salad, a chicken breast, smoked salmon, a thin slice of cheese, a hamburger, a veggie burger, a couple of pieces of bacon -- or some combination of the above.

Those round sandwich thins -- they look like flat hamburger buns; Arnold's is one brand, and there are one of two others -- come in whole grain and are only 1 WW pt. apiece.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2010, 01:26:29 pm »
It's what happens when sheep go "green":

I want one!!!    :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #286 on: February 22, 2010, 01:41:22 pm »
Although it's called bittersweet, it's not in the least bitter.

Reminds one of how Hershey's "semisweet" chocolate got redubbed "special dark" chocolate.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #287 on: February 22, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »

What's chia?

Oops! Sorry for the delay, Sason. Chia are little black seeds that are supposed to be good for you:

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

Once valued so much that it was used as currency, this unique little seed has exceptional nutritive and structural benefits.

Chia, is familiar to most of us as a seed used for the novelty of the Chia Pet™, clay animals with sprouted Chia seeds covering their bodies. Little is known, however, of the seeds tremendous nutritional value and medicinal properties. For centuries this tiny little seed was used as a staple food by the Indians of the south west and Mexico. Known as the running food, its use as a high energy endurance food has been recorded as far back as the ancient Aztecs. It was said the Aztec warriors subsisted on the Chia seed during the conquests. The Indians of the south west would eat as little as a teaspoon full when going on a 24hr. forced march. Indians running form the Colorado River to the California coast to trade turquoise for seashells would only bring the Chia seed for their nourishment.

If you try missing a spoonful of Chia in a glass of water and leaving it for approximately 30 minutes or so, when you return the glass will appear to contain not seeds or water, but an almost solid gelatin. This gel-forming reaction is due to the soluble fiber in the Chia. Research believe this same gel-forming phenomenon takes place in the stomach when food containing these gummy fibers, known as mucilages, are eaten. The gel that is formed in the stomach creates a physical barrier between carbohydrates and the digestive enzymes that break them down, thus slowing the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar.

In addition to the obvious benefits for diabetics, this slowing in the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar offers the ability for creating endurance. Carbohydrates are the fuel for energy in our bodies. Prolonging their conversion into sugar stabilizes metabolic changes, diminishing the surges of highs and lows creating a longer duration in their fueling effects.

One of the exceptional qualities of the Chia seed is its hydrophilic properties, having the ability to absorb more than 12 times its weigh in water. Its ability to hold on to water offers the ability to prolong hydration. Fluids and electrolytes provide the environment that supports the life of all the body’s cells. Their concentration and composition are regulated to remain as constant as possible. With Chia seeds, you retain moisture, regulate, more efficiently, the bodies absorption of nutrients and body fluids. Because there is a greater efficiency in the utilization of body fluids, the electrolyte balance is maintained.

Example: Fluid and electrolyte imbalances occur when large amounts of fluids are lost resulting from vomiting, diarrhea, high fever, or more commonly from sweating? The loss of extracellular fluid occurs in these conditions. Intercellular fluid then shifts out of cells to compensate, causing abnormal distribution of electrolytes across cell membranes resulting in cellular malfunction. So. Retaining and efficiently utilizing body fluids maintains the integrity of extracellular fluids, protecting intercellular fluid balance. The results of which ensure normal electrolyte dispersion across cell membranes (electrolyte balance), maintaining fluid balances, resulting in normal cellular function.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2010, 04:15:54 pm »
Chia, is familiar to most of us as a seed used for the novelty of the Chia Pet™, clay animals with sprouted Chia seeds covering their bodies.

How about that! All these years, I thought the Chia in Chia Pet referred to the clay thingie! I always thought the seeds were just grass seeds, or something!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2010, 05:02:53 pm »
Oops! Sorry for the delay, Sason. Chia are little black seeds that are supposed to be good for you:

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html

Chia indeed sounds interesting! From the picture I thought it was cress, but I suppose it's something different than that?

I've never heard of it, and I'm not sure it's available here. (unless it's cress LOL)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre