Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698657 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2010, 05:54:26 pm »
I'm not sure what cress is. I buy my chia seeds online.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #291 on: February 22, 2010, 07:07:03 pm »
I'm not sure what cress is.

Isn't it the same thing as watercress?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #292 on: February 22, 2010, 10:25:25 pm »
Isn't it the same thing as watercress?  ???

Cress is a family of plants, and watercress is one of them.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #293 on: February 23, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »
I'm not sure what cress is. I buy my chia seeds online.

I have to find out if they're available here...

Do you have a link, crayons?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #294 on: February 23, 2010, 07:54:48 pm »
Tired of the same old veggies?  Here are some ideas:  one--a new veggie, and the other--a new twist on an old favorite.

Braised Fennel

Fennel, aka anise, is a lovely versatile veggie.  Sliced very thinly, it adds an aromatic sweet crunchiness to a summer citrusy salad.  However, the familiar licorice flavor is mellowed by braising.  Trim and core a fennel bulb, and slice thicker, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.  Sauté on med-high heat in a little olive oil for a few moments.  Turn the heat down to low, cover with liquid--water or broth (mushroom broth adds a lovely earthiness, if you can find it).  Simmer covered for about ten minutes, until soft.  Serve!

Grated Zucchini

The poor, pedestrian zucchini.  Long maligned as a boring, bland, summer veggie.  No more!  It has a relatively thick skin that gives it a longish shelf-life.  It's high in water, so it can take on flavors.  This preparation was a revelation when I first had it.  Could it still be zucchini?  So, grate it coarsely with the biggest holes on your box grater.  I like to season it with a combination of salt and pepper, then add ground cumin and coriander (you can pretty much add any herb/spice you like).  Sauté over medium heat with a little olive oil.  It essentially steams itself.  Turn occasionally, it cooks very quickly.  Grated, it as a nice texture, and can easily replace carbs such as rice or pasta.  

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #295 on: February 23, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »
A reminder to all our losers!  Next weigh-in is Monday, March 1. 

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #296 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:24 pm »
I need to check in with this thread more regularly!
I got some baggage I need to shed!
My poor horse runs when she sees me comin!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #297 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:36 am »
I need to check in with this thread more regularly!
I got some baggage I need to shed!
My poor horse runs when she sees me comin!  :laugh:

You don't need no broke-back horse!

It's not too late to join the club here.  Name your goal, and I'll gladly add you.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #298 on: February 24, 2010, 11:32:16 am »
Tired of the same old veggies?  Here are some ideas:  one--a new veggie, and the other--a new twist on an old favorite.

Braised Fennel

Fennel, aka anise, is a lovely versatile veggie.  Sliced very thinly, it adds an aromatic sweet crunchiness to a summer citrusy salad.  However, the familiar licorice flavor is mellowed by braising.  Trim and core a fennel bulb, and slice thicker, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.  Sauté on med-high heat in a little olive oil for a few moments.  Turn the heat down to low, cover with liquid--water or broth (mushroom broth adds a lovely earthiness, if you can find it).  Simmer covered for about ten minutes, until soft.  Serve!

Grated Zucchini

The poor, pedestrian zucchini.  Long maligned as a boring, bland, summer veggie.  No more!  It has a relatively thick skin that gives it a longish shelf-life.  It's high in water, so it can take on flavors.  This preparation was a revelation when I first had it.  Could it still be zucchini?  So, grate it coarsely with the biggest holes on your box grater.  I like to season it with a combination of salt and pepper, then add ground cumin and coriander (you can pretty much add any herb/spice you like).  Sauté over medium heat with a little olive oil.  It essentially steams itself.  Turn occasionally, it cooks very quickly.  Grated, it as a nice texture, and can easily replace carbs such as rice or pasta.  

I'll skip the fennel, thanks, but the zucchini sounds kind of good.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #299 on: February 24, 2010, 01:32:41 pm »
Other good veggies are sweet potatoes and eggplant (I think it's called aubergine in Europe), both of which can be sliced thin (I use a cheese slicer) and made into chips. Last nite for a party I made sweet potato chips, and they were a big hit. I just dipped each one in very hot oil briefly and dried them on paper towels, applying a little sea salt afterwards. Someone told me you can do the same thing with eggplant. Any slices that were malformed, I ate raw. They were just as delicious as the cooked ones!!

I am really enjoying all kinds of raw vegetables lately. This snow is making me have a craving for them. I like my veggies crunchy. I'm eating sweet peppers of all colors, broccoli, cucumbers, mushrooms, celery, carrots, baby spinach, and white radish. I get them at the Oriental grocery store. Instead of a dressing, I use a dip, sparingly. Good dips are Greek cucumber sauce and spicy peanut sauce. I get the peanut sauce in a bottle, but for the cucumber sauce, I use Mountain High original fat-free yogurt which I drain in a colander overnight (you'd be surprised at the amount of water it releases) and two cucumbers which I also drain of excess water after salting (rinse the salt off afterwards). I chop up the cucumbers with a large clove of garlic, a dash of lemon juice, and some black pepper in a food processor, then add 3 cups of yogurt or however much is left after draining. Lastly, I crumble up a handful of dried mint from my garden!! It's heavenly!!

Gotta go work out now and try to lose one more pound before Monday!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"