Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698504 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2010, 01:47:42 pm »
Other good veggies are sweet potatoes and eggplant (I think it's called aubergine in Europe), both of which can be sliced thin (I use a cheese slicer) and made into chips. Last nite for a party I made sweet potato chips, and they were a big hit. I just dipped each one in very hot oil briefly and dried them on paper towels, applying a little sea salt afterwards. Someone told me you can do the same thing with eggplant. Any slices that were malformed, I ate raw. They were just as delicious as the cooked ones!!

I make sweet potato chips, too! In fact, I almost made them two nights ago (I got lazy and baked the SPs). I make mine in the oven, after lightly tossing them in olive oil, plus sea salt and cumin or cayenne or some combination or other spicy spice. I also do SP fries. But I've never tried eggplant chips -- what a great idea! I think they would also do well on a cookie sheet at 400.

I have leftover baked sweet potatoes, so I'm going to sauté some carrots and onions and garlic, maybe ginger or spice, add the sweet potatoes and broth, then puree for a vitamin-A-packed soup.

Last night's dinner was sashimi-grade tuna (on sale for $4/filet!) quickly seared, served with brown-rice pilaf and shredded coleslaw cabbage/onions/peppers, lightly sautéd with Asian flavors (peanut and sesami oils, garlic, ginger, rice wine and vinegar, soy, cayenne).

My sons only ate half of their tuna and little to none of the cabbage, so that will be my dinner tonight as well.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2010, 09:40:52 pm »
You don't need no broke-back horse!

It's not too late to join the club here.  Name your goal, and I'll gladly add you.

40lbs!!! To start with anyway.
I'd be happy with 10 at  his point but I really would be lookin good if I lost 50! :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:55 pm »
40lbs!!! To start with anyway.   I'd be happy with 10 at  his point but I really would be lookin good if I lost 50! :laugh:

I hear ya!  I'm the same right now.....shooting for 40!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #303 on: February 25, 2010, 06:14:54 am »
I can bet your bottom dollar Ive puit weight on.. ugh..
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #304 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:52 am »
(((hugs)))

It's so hard to take it off, isn't it?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #305 on: February 25, 2010, 08:12:10 am »
Wish it came off as easy as it goes on! :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #306 on: February 25, 2010, 09:36:31 am »
Wish it came off as easy as it goes on! :-\

You can say that twice and mean it!  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #307 on: February 25, 2010, 11:26:04 am »
(((hugs)))

It's so hard to take it off, isn't it?

I weighed myself this lunchtime and actually.. depsite the sh*te exerecie routine and eating habits in the last few weeks, I guess the stress has made it fall off, as I'm actually the same weight as the last time I weighted myself 3 weeks ago.. so HURRAH! Which is 15 stones 2.

So yes, I've only lost 1lb so far in total but hey better than putting it on!!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2010, 03:02:53 am »
Works for me!! Good news, Kelda. Now, back on programme!!

I'm not going to be able to report as much loss this month either. But, I'm rationalizing that I'm replacing fat with muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. My clothes definitely fit differently, and some of my pants are literally falling off me! I'm about ready to go shopping for some new clothes.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2010, 10:49:08 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23real.html?em

Really?

The Claim:

To Cut Calories,
Eat Slowly

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
Published: February 22, 2010

THE FACTS

For ages, mothers have admonished children at the dinner table to slow down and chew their food. Apparently, they’re onto something.

Researchers have found evidence over the years that when people wolf their food, they end up consuming more calories than they would at a slower pace. One reason is the effect of quicker ingestion on hormones.

In a study last month, scientists found that when a group of subjects were given an identical serving of ice cream on different occasions, they released more hormones that made them feel full when they ate it in 30 minutes instead of 5 . The scientists took blood samples and measured insulin and gut hormones before, during and after eating. They found that two hormones that signal feelings of satiety, or fullness — glucagon-like peptide-1 and peptide YY — showed a more pronounced response in the slow condition.

Ultimately, that leads to eating less, as another study published in The Journal of the American Dietetic Association suggested in 2008. In that study, subjects reported greater satiety and consumed roughly 10 percent fewer calories when they ate at a slow pace compared with times when they gobbled down their food. In another study of 3,000 people in The British Medical Journal, those who reported eating quickly and eating until full had triple the risk of being overweight compared with others.

In other words, experts say, it can’t hurt to slow down and savor your meals.

THE BOTTOM LINE

Eating at a slower pace may increase fullness and reduce caloric intake.

ANAHAD O’CONNOR [email protected]
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"