Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698476 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #330 on: March 04, 2010, 03:23:12 pm »
Anyone else want to check in? 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #331 on: March 06, 2010, 03:48:59 pm »
I was just visiting the site of the manufacturer of the elliptical equipment I am using, which is Precor, and there is a wealth of interesting articles at http://www.precor.com/cons/en/tools/research, including "How to Break Through a Weight Loss Plateau." The answer, say the experts, is weight training.

I've embarked on the beginning peak performance workout which is a 45-minute weekly workout that trains your body to deal with the buildup of lactate that causes tiredness and soreness. I have more mountains to climb, so I need this workout!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »
For those who are running into problems with their weight loss program, is it on the eating, exercising, or attitude aspects?? With me, the problem area is exercising. I'm part of the "sandwich generation" with demands coming at me from all sides. I haven't been able to visit the gym in three days, and it's starting to get tiresome!!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #333 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:47 pm »
Aaaaargh!  A new diagnosis of plantar fasciitis has put a damper on my exercise regimen, such as it was.  No more walking for a few months.  I'll have to do some upper body stuff in the meantime. 

The eating plan is going pretty well--high protein, high fiber, low carbs, moderate fat, lots of water, moderate alcohol.  Definitely feels doable in the long run.  Turns out, I like vegetables, and don't really miss the bread/rice/pasta/potatoes.  Can't wait for farmers' market season!

Attitude seems to be the key.  Embracing the plan as a life change, rather than a resolution or a fad, helps a lot.  Giving up the boyish idea that I can eat whatever I want is very key!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #334 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »
Aaaaargh!  A new diagnosis of plantar fasciitis has put a damper on my exercise regimen, such as it was.  No more walking for a few months.  I'll have to do some upper body stuff in the meantime. 

How about cycling or swimming?

The eating plan is going pretty well--high protein, high fiber, low carbs, moderate fat, lots of water, moderate alcohol.  Definitely feels doable in the long run.  Turns out, I like vegetables, and don't really miss the bread/rice/pasta/potatoes.  Can't wait for farmers' market season!

Attitude seems to be the key.  Embracing the plan as a life change, rather than a resolution or a fad, helps a lot.  Giving up the boyish idea that I can eat whatever I want is very key!

Sounds very smart!

I got stalled there for a while. But I've adjusted my attitude and expect to be making progress again soon.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #335 on: March 11, 2010, 05:50:14 pm »

I got stalled there for a while. But I've adjusted my attitude and expect to be making progress again soon.

Yay!!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #336 on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:25 am »

http://www.realage.com/tips/choose-this-fat-burning-condiment

Choose This Fat-Burning Condiment: Vinegar

By RealAge

It's perfect on potatoes, very good on veggies, and divine in salad dressings. And the best news yet? It may help with fat burning. The magic condiment in question: vinegar.

Obese people who took in 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily in a study melted significantly more body fat and belly fat than a group taking a placebo -- despite being on the same diet and exercise plan.

A Sour Path to Skinny
Vinegar may offer a weight loss boost thanks to acetic acid. Seems this sour stuff does double-duty fat-blasting, inhibiting the body's ability to store fat while boosting its ability to burn it. And even though apple cider vinegar was the type used in the recent study, researchers suspect most varieties of the liquid seasoning could have the same get-skinny effects. (Find out what the YOU Docs think about vinegar and weight loss.)

Other Tart Benefits
Vinegar also seemed to help lower bad-for-the-heart triglyceride levels and systolic blood pressure at the end of the 12-week study. That's a Sherpa's load of health benefits for one little flavor maker. So get your daily dose of vinegar with one of these tart-tasting, waist-whittling RealAge recipes:

When you're craving tart: Give your salad and grilled veggies a refreshing citrus-flavored punch with this Lemon-Balsamic Vinaigrette .

When you're craving savory: Add a Mediterranean touch to chicken with this Chicken in Garlic-Vinegar Sauce .

When you're craving sweet: Add a bit of tangy sweetness to dessert with these Balsamic-Spiked Strawberries.

Did You Know?
Apple cider vinegar can make your skin and hair beautiful, too. RealAge author and dermatologist Dr. Amy Wechsler shares how .
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03:32 pm »
Obese people who took in 1 to 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily in a study melted significantly more body fat and belly fat than a group taking a placebo -- despite being on the same diet and exercise plan.

Vinegar also seemed to help lower bad-for-the-heart triglyceride levels.

My dad does this. He's convinced it helps his cholesterol levels. He drinks it, mixed in water, twice a day before meals. I can't remember how much water he uses to dilute the vinegar.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #338 on: March 15, 2010, 12:12:20 pm »

I am sorry this business of plantar fascitis is slowing you down, but I know you'll overcome it...you're a very determined man!  You get to be in charge of turning in $$ for the AIDS walk and collecting our team swag this year and I'll do the walking - no walking the day before for me, tho. ;)

I wonder if a red wine or balsamic vinegar in salad dressing really would have similar effects as apple cider vinegar?  That wacky roommate of mine had a couple of tablespoons of the apple cider vinegar every day...said it would cure my flu... ::)  Maybe, but it didn't stop her from getting it, or something like it.

Also, I wanted to say that I loved the braised fennel you made for me last night...maybe post a recipe here for others when you get a chance?  I never would have thought I'd like fennel, but you made it really tasty.  Thank you!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #339 on: March 15, 2010, 12:31:28 pm »
I am sorry this business of plantar fascitis is slowing you down, but I know you'll overcome it...you're a very determined man!  You get to be in charge of turning in $$ for the AIDS walk and collecting our team swag this year and I'll do the walking - no walking the day before for me, tho. ;)
Sure enough.
Also, I wanted to say that I loved the braised fennel you made for me last night...maybe post a recipe here for others when you get a chance?  I never would have thought I'd like fennel, but you made it really tasty.  Thank you!
Glad you liked it.  Turns out, I did post the recipe, earlier in this thread!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,44577.msg563542/topicseen.html#msg563542