Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698711 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2010, 11:54:29 pm »
While my diet has not been productive as of late, I am able to say that while I started at 295, I'm still at about 225, so I've managed to keep off the weight I did lose.

Before I left for thsi trip, I went to my doctor's office for my regularly scheduled physcial.  My bloodwork showed my thyroid is normal, my chlorestoral is normal, I am not anemic, and most importantly, my sugar is normal.

Now to kick this diet up a notch, and get past this plateau, and hit my goal weight.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2010, 09:27:19 am »
Me too. After a brief slip-up, during which I regained a pound or two, I'm back on track. And I'm still about 10 pounds down from where I was when I began this effort last fall.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #342 on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:36 am »
I am not anemic.

Nobody would ever accuse you of being anemic, Sweetheart!  ;D  ;)  :-*
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #343 on: March 17, 2010, 02:27:41 pm »
I think you are doing splendidly, friends! I have some good news to report. I'm getting ready to go back to work after being off for three months, and I visited my local Goodwill and found tons of spring clothes in a smaller size!! I snatched up five pairs of pants and was thrilled to try them on and they all fit and looked good! It's been months and months since I have had the fortitude to bare my body for a dressing room mirror or to try on any pants at all. I also found three pairs of cropped gaucho pants and am wearing one of them right now with some new cowboy boots!! These are matte black leather with tan embroidery, very smart!! Since it's St. Paddy's Day, I'm also wearing a green sweater and a vest with green/brown/white tweed.

I bought some workout clothes, floaty skirts, sandals, pumps, and jackets during my spending spree too. Two of the items I bought were extra-small!!! It was such a wonderful reward for all the punishment, er, exercising and dieting these past two months!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #344 on: March 17, 2010, 04:31:41 pm »
Nobody would ever accuse you of being anemic, Sweetheart!  ;D  ;)  :-*

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline SuperDistortion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2010, 09:43:54 pm »
Goal: Lose 50 lbs.
"Really, it's not mine..."   --- Austin Powers

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #346 on: March 17, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »

Yay! Welcome to our merry band, friend!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #347 on: March 23, 2010, 10:11:54 am »
Apologies to Ennis, who welded his salt shaker so assiduously, but I wanted to pass along a few thoughts that may be worth their salt.

Excess salt is something that you should eliminate from your diet. It can lead to imbalances and deaden your taste buds so that you need to eat more and more in order to taste anything. Salt lurks in processed and boxed foods, pastries, fast foods, and restaurant foods. For instance, there is more salt in some pancake mixes than in potato chips!!

You may think that freshly ground salt or salt from the Dead Sea has nutritive properties. Not really. Salt is salt. Whether it’s kosher salt, salt crystals, or seasoned salt, salt is sodium chloride and it’s bad news for 4 out of 5 people in the developed world.

To eat healthy foods and avoid a salt imbalance, buy fresh food that is located around the perimeter of the grocery store. Avoid the canned, frozen and processed foods in the middle aisles. Eat at home or prepare your lunches and take them with you to work. Be wary of snack foods. If it’s white, don’t bite. DON’t eat foods from bakeries, pastries, or diners. Some Asian foods can be high in sodium or monosodium glutimate. Seek out authentic foods!

Some foods that are not as bad as you might think: Chips. Did you know that you can buy or make chips out of many different foods? Some of my favorites are radish and yam chips, eggplant (really!) chips, and pita chips. There are whole grain chips with flaxseed and even potato chips that are healthful and delicious. You just have to be ready to read labels and look for the kinds that are not loaded with salt and saturated fats.

Meats. Prosciutto, sausages, and other meats can be healthful if bits are added to noodles and veggies. The key word is bits…small amounts used as flavoring or condiments rather than as a significant part of the meal.

Some foods that are worse than you might think: Pastries and sweets. Believe it or not, oftentimes these foods contain a lot of hidden sodium. One time my mother left a couple of croissants at my house after she visited, and I ate them, basically just to get rid of them. An hour or so later, I felt awful. The sodium made my heart beat wildly, and the hidden fat made me feel sluggish. It took me over a day to recover!! I stay far away from croissants and whatever looks like them now!

Soft drinks. Yes, this is another place where excess sodium lurks. I can’t imagine why manufacturers feel they must put sodium in soft drinks!!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #348 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

You and me both, bud.  I'm not making much progress, but I'm not gaining.  I have been grocery shopping and now have food in my house, so hopefully there will be less dining out and delivery and more cooking for myself.

After Lee's post (Thanks, Lee!), though, I realize that too much of it is convenience food from those 'middle aisles' with the exception of my healthy Kashi cereal and milk and eggs.

I'm now mostly drinking water during the day, sometimes hot tea or coffee (milk, no sugar) - I'm off the diet cokes - no more aspartame for me!  So I'm happy about that.

I am also drinking a 14 oz bottle of milk most days.  Just now checking the label, it contains 210 mg of Na.  But it has 50% of my RDA of Ca, which is necessary just now.

Interestingly, I have those chocolatey caramely Ca chews, and I never really want them.  They're completely edible.  I think it's because I know they're good for me.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #349 on: March 23, 2010, 12:46:44 pm »

Added!

Thanks, Lee, for the reminder about decreasing salt.  I find that a squeeze of lemon juice is a good substitute.

Cutting out prepared food and eating fresh food is a challenge, and requires different shopping habits.  Keep to the perimeter!  Exactly.