Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698499 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2010, 02:21:19 pm »

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2010/03/chewing_the_fat_with_jamie_oli.html

Chewing the Fat With Jamie Oliver
on the Dawn of His ‘Food Revolution’

3/26/10 at 2:00 PM

By: Daniel Maurer

Photo: Courtesy of ABC

Tonight, ABC airs the two-hour premiere (including the “preview” episode that aired last week) of Jamie Oliver’s new reality show, Food Revolution. As you may recall, the six-part series finds the Naked Chef on a quest to transform the “most unhealthy town in America” (Huntington, West Virginia) by teaching its skeptical lunch ladies that French fries aren’t an acceptable vegetable and “breakfast pizza” is an oxymoron. Oliver has made great strides in this area in England, so some are wondering, why come here (other than to chat up Tom Colicchio)? We asked the TED winner just that.

Why come to the States? Doesn’t it dilute your mission across the pond?
I have never left the English one; I have teams still on it monitoring various stuff. But in our research, America was always there as being in the same or worse situation. Eight or ten months ago everything seemed to change over here. Things kept biting and things kept sticking, maybe because of the new administration, or the atmosphere of Americans pissed off at so much bad news and not much solutions. For some reason, it’s important right now.

So the obvious question: Were you able to change the people of Huntington?
Ultimately there’s never going to be a happy ending — it’s just going to be a hopeful question mark. The idea of the show is it makes you laugh, cry, throw things at your TV and understand the problem. It’s not like black-and-white statistics; you’re seeing the statistics in the characters and in real lives. It’s about observing something that will hopefully want to make people kick up a fuss. It’s about going to various cornerstones of food — the supermarkets, the fast-food industry, the parents and the home, what their kids eat, the workplace. What’s the corporate responsibility in the workplace if you feed your staff shit?

Here in New York, there’ve been complaints about the “food police.” A councilwoman wants to limit fast-food restaurants in poor neighborhoods and another wanted to ban salt in restaurants. Do you support such laws?
I think Bloomberg is sensible — he’s a pioneer. It’s not telling everyone what to do, it’s giving clear sign posts. The people whinging about it are just whingers and they’ll whinge anyway. [Regarding calorie postings,] some people will ignore them, some will never see them, and a third will use them and they’ll make them bounce to another product when they find out a muffin is a third of their daily intake of calories and they’re trying to lose a little weight. Diabetes and obesity kill way more people than any form of murder or gun crime.

Your petition that you’re planning to take to Michelle Obama is just about 60,000 strong. But where do you go from here? What’s the next concrete step?
I suppose the answer is I don’t know — it’s not a straightforward campaign. The petition is just to solidify the learnings of the show, but ultimately the most powerful force is people and the parents. I think they’ll be key to driving radical change. All I can say is, I’ve been given this opportunity to tell a story on prime-time network television, which has never been heard of. I’m hoping the public will speak out and it will find a natural rhythm, and everything will be debated, and news stories will pick up on different elements. I don’t know if anything’s going to happen, but I hope it does.

Obviously a big part of the show is that you’re a British disciplinarian, à la Simon Cowell and Gordon Ramsay. Do you think there’s something about the American character that makes it harder for us to make the sort of strides you’ve made in England?
No, there’s not one situation that I’ve filmed that I haven’t seen and filmed in my own country. Yes, you’re more advanced structurally on fast food and a few more issues such as portion control, but basically it’s all the exact same. Ultimately, if America changes the rest of the world will be looking to it and doing it, too. When Americans get on something, there ain’t a country quicker in the world that moves. When they do get on something, magic can happen. Whereas in England, things can happen, but things can be a bit more lethargic.

What about criticism that the show “regurgitates the worst of reality show TV pap”?
What is the foundation of this show and what drives it is the campaign of change that is not funded by ABC and has nothing to do with any production company. Sometimes I need to tell stories in certain places to be relevant and help the storytelling. If you look at the whole series and compare it to reality TV that usually has a winner or loser, this is a way more old-fashioned English-style documentary than it is a hyped-up, structured reality TV.

But what about stunts like dressing up as a pea?
I’ve dressed up as more vegetables that you know. It’s not because I want to, it’s because the only way to engage 5-year-olds is as Mr. Pea — they don’t know who Jamie Oliver is. And let me tell you, when I do dress up as vegetable, they don’t know I’m a pea. They think I’m an alien, because they don’t know what vegetables are in the first place!

Do you have any sense of how much bringing this change to every town in America would cost?
It’s going to cost more money, but what’s more important? Obesity costs $150 billion a year and it’s set to double in eight to ten years, which is horrific. This is good bang for your buck. Congress is talking about spending $4.5 billion over the next ten years for these kinds of initiatives which is insulting, rude, and absolutely illogical. Afghanistan alone costs $7 billion a month. They’re paying for people in various industries that are putting their business and bucks over the health of kids and they’re stopping Michelle [Obama] from doing her job. For the last 30 years, adults have let kids down. Maybe this is a load of hype and a cute little story, but at some point in time it will have to change and it will involve love, care, attention, and investment. Will the parents of America demand that? They will. But will they demand it in five years, or in ten years, or twenty years? Or will they demand it now?

On another note, how’s the London restaurant with Adam Perry Lang going? Is it still looking like global barbecue?
I’m really happy; the menu’s looking great. Adam is in Japan researching. We’re opening in October. I think we’re not going to mention “global” or any specific country, because if you start saying Asian this, Indian that, everyone’s like, “Ah, fuck me, it’s like Disneyland.” We’re just going to write a bloody good menu and have a nod to different countries. But we work well together and we’re bouncing off each other a lot.

Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution: Episode 101    [ABC]

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2010, 05:51:53 pm »
Chewing is not the first oral action I think of when I think of Jamie Oliver. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2010, 11:51:55 am »
So, does anybody have any thoughts, ideas, tips, suggestions, or secrets for maintaining one's "gains"--that is to say, losses--when traveling?

I've lost about seven pounds, which is pretty much common for me in this "fasting quarter" of the year. However, with the return of better weather, I will soon be doing some traveling, and, based on past experience, once I start traveling, it won't be long before the weight comes back.  :(

It wasn't that difficult to drop those pounds--though it seems impossible to push it to a full ten-pound loss--but once I start traveling I find it awfully difficult to maintain my usual eating habits at home. For example, flight times interfere with my normal dining habits. And again, on my rail odyssey last summer, sleeping car accommodations included three full meals a day, and choices were limited (not to mention the lack of opportunity for exercise when spending days at a time sitting on a train). So the weight comes back.  :(

Anybody have any thoughts?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2010, 12:38:26 pm »
So, does anybody have any thoughts, ideas, tips, suggestions, or secrets for maintaining one's "gains"--that is to say, losses--when traveling?

I've lost about seven pounds, which is pretty much common for me in this "fasting quarter" of the year. However, with the return of better weather, I will soon be doing some traveling, and, based on past experience, once I start traveling, it won't be long before the weight comes back.  :(

It wasn't that difficult to drop those pounds--though it seems impossible to push it to a full ten-pound loss--but once I start traveling I find it awfully difficult to maintain my usual eating habits at home. For example, flight times interfere with my normal dining habits. And again, on my rail odyssey last summer, sleeping car accommodations included three full meals a day, and choices were limited (not to mention the lack of opportunity for exercise when spending days at a time sitting on a train). So the weight comes back.  :(

Anybody have any thoughts?

If you're a captive audience, as on a train, just do the best you can. Whenever offered a choice between foods, pick the healthier option. Ask whether they have low-carb or low-fat choices. Walk the length of the train now an then if possible, if only to stretch your legs.

When you're in stationary places and have more control, pick healthy options whenever possible. For breakfast, you can usually find healthy options even in hotels with continental breakfast. Pick the boiled egg, the whole-grain toast, the whole-grain hot or cold cereal, fruit or juice. Avoid the sugary pastries (obviously), the white flour, the make-your-own waffles. If you're in a restaurant, have a vegetable omelet, unflavored oatmeal, whole-grain pancakes topped with fruit. Avoid breakfast buffets -- they're just asking for trouble!

For lunch, salad. For dinner, grilled fish.

If you're going to be walking around all day -- outdoors, at tourist destinations, etc. -- consider stopping in a little grocery or takeout place for a bag lunch: sandwich or wrap, fruit, drink. Don't leave yourself at the mercy of random concession stands, unless you know the museum or whatever has a nice cafe. Take long walks or hikes whenever possible. If you're staying in a hotel, use the pool.

The secret, I think, is don't even start eating fattening things. At least for me, once I let my discipline slip, all bets are off. Breakfast buffets! Burgers! Ice cream! Next thing you know, I feel like crap an the clothes I brought with me are too tight.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2010, 11:36:55 am »
I think you have the right idea, Katherine...if you can't exercise while traveling, you have to cut back on eating. I often take long car trips and my buddies always pack a snack box. But I do not partake except for the occasional handful of trail mix or raw whole almonds.

Also, if you're going on a long trip, you might schedule extra exercise before and after the trip.

Lately I have trouble if I go for more than two days without exercising. I have to work in a trip to the gym every third day, one way or another. In fact, I'm taking a day off work today just so I can work out! And with that, I gotta go!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2010, 01:51:52 pm »
I think a big part of the problem that I have had is that with much of my traveling in recent years, I have not been in control of when I get to take my meals. I don't like to snack, whether on a car trip, or at work, or at home. But when snacks are available, and there is no telling when you are going to get your dinner, rather than endure hunger pains. ... And it's also not good to sit down to a full dinner at ten o'clock at night, and then go to bed on a full stomach.  :(

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #356 on: March 30, 2010, 02:33:35 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/health/nutrition/24recipehealth.html?src=me&ref=health

Recipes for Health
Spaghetti With Edamame, Parsley, Garlic
and Olive Oil

By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
Published: March 24, 2010

This is a quick pasta to throw together if you have frozen shelled edamame or peas in your freezer, and it’s a dish that I find irresistible. You can find frozen edamame at most supermarkets; the green soybeans are a terrific source of protein and isoflavones. Seek out organic edamame.

The pasta company Barilla is now making a mixed semolina and whole grain pasta called Barilla Plus that combines a grain and legume flour blend with the traditional semolina. It’s a little more expensive than regular pasta, but you’ll get more nutrition for your buck. The other ingredients here are not at all pricey. If you can’t find the whole grain pasta, this is still an easy, inexpensive and nutritious dish.

1 large garlic clove, finely minced (more to taste)

Leaves from 1 bunch parsley

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 1/3 cups frozen shelled edamame, preferably organic, or frozen peas

3/4 pound whole grain spaghetti if available, or regular spaghetti

1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional)

1. Begin heating a large pot of water for the pasta. Meanwhile, turn on a food processor fitted with the steel blade, and drop in the garlic. When it’s chopped and adhering to the sides of the bowl, stop the machine and scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Add the parsley to the bowl, and process until finely chopped. With the machine running, drizzle in the olive oil. Transfer the mixture to a large pasta bowl. (You can also use a mini-chop for this task.)

2. When the water in the pot comes to a boil, salt generously, add the edamame or peas and cook five minutes. Remove from the pot with a strainer or a slotted spoon, and place in the bowl with the parsley.

3. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water, and cook al dente following the timing instructions on the package. Checking for doneness about a minute before the stated cooking time. When the pasta is cooked, remove 1/2 cup of the cooking water and add to the bowl with the herbs and edamame or peas. Drain the pasta, and toss with the mixture in the bowl. Add Parmesan if desired, and serve.

Yield: Serves four.

Advance preparation: This isn’t a dish to do in advance, but the whole thing can be made while you’re waiting for the water to boil.

Martha Rose Shulman can be reached at martha-rose-shulman.com.

Recipes for Health
Each week this series will present recipes around a particular type of produce or a pantry item. This is food that is vibrant and light, full of nutrients but by no means ascetic, fun to cook and a pleasure to eat.

See previous recipes »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #357 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »
That looks great, John.  Parsley and garlic give a flavor boost to just about anything.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #358 on: March 30, 2010, 02:43:17 pm »
"This is a quick pasta to throw together if you have frozen shelled edamame or peas in your freezer."

Doesn't everyone keep frozen shelled edamame in the freezer, just for emergencies?

;D

I'm sorry, it's just that the phrase, "if you have frozen shelled edamame ... in your freezer," struck me as funny.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #359 on: March 30, 2010, 02:51:34 pm »
Actually I keep frozen peas in the freezer for emergencies of the sore muscular kind!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"