Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698707 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #390 on: April 12, 2010, 08:30:39 am »
That diet does sound a bit extreme. My understanding is that a weight loss that speedy is unlikely to be healthy or long-lasting. But if you're interested in trying it, Chuck, I don't see why you couldn't post about it here. That's what we're all doing, basically, isn't it -- whether we're on Dr. Ian Smith's Fat Smash diet or some other plan.

What foods does Fat Smash entail, Chuck?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #391 on: April 12, 2010, 08:57:05 am »
I dunno. Forty pounds in nine weeks is still less than five pounds a week. Maybe ten weeks would be a better time frame? Does anybody have an information on what is considered a "healthy" or "safe" amount to lose in a week?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #392 on: April 12, 2010, 08:58:27 am »
When you're trying to lose weight and improve health, avoid or cut down on white flour, white sugar, whole milk, white bread, white rice, potatoes, most boxed cereals, and salt! As well as items made with these ingredients. If it's white, don't bite! It works for me!!

What about whole-grain flours and brown rice?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #393 on: April 12, 2010, 09:13:19 am »
Healthy weight loss should be between 2-4 pounds a week.  However, when starting a diet, that figure can be higher, and you shouldn't panic.  The body will level itself off shortly, and you'll see weight loss slow down to generally a 2 pound loss per week.

The "Fat Smash" diet was designed by Dr. Ian Smith, and has four phases to it.

Phase I - Detox - This phase lasts 9 days. In this phase you will eat mostly fruits and vegetables. The idea is to cleanse your body of junk and you eliminate things like alcohol and caffeine. By increasing fruits and vegetables you increase the body's ability to cleanse itself on the cellular level. You can eat all the fruits & veggies you want except white potatoes and avocados. You also can have the following daily: legumes/beans & tofu, 1 cup of oatmeal, 2 cups of brown rice, 2 cups low fat or 1% milk, 2 6oz yogurts and 4 egg whites (eggbeaters) only water & 2 cups of herbal tea to drink. You also get a very limited amount of olive oil dressing to use.

Phase II - Foundation - This phase lasts 3 weeks. In this phase you eat the same foods as phase I, except you will reintroduce lean meats like chicken turkey fish (except pork), 1 whole egg, unsweetend ceral, 1 oz of cheese, coffee 1 10 oz cup & 2 diet pops a day come back.

Phase III - Construction - This phase lasts 4 weeks. In this phase you eat the same foods as phase I & II except you will reintroduce whole wheat pasta and bread. Increase the amounts of protein, adds ff mayo & peanut butter, 2 whole eggs, 3 cups of lf milk now & 1.3 oz of lf/ff cheese, 2 cups of freshly squeezed juice & whole grains bread 4 slices a day, 1 cup of pasta and 1 desert serving per day.

Phase IV - The Temple - This phase is for life. In this phase you eat the same foods as phase I,II, & III. In addition to those foods, you can eat some white starches (ie. white rice, potatoes) as well as have a couple of glasses of wine or beer each week.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #394 on: April 12, 2010, 10:12:29 am »
I dunno. Forty pounds in nine weeks is still less than five pounds a week. Maybe ten weeks would be a better time frame? Does anybody have an information on what is considered a "healthy" or "safe" amount to lose in a week?

I have always heard one to two pounds a week is healthy. Maybe that's geared for women -- men seem to lose weight faster, so perhaps their healthy weight-loss rate is a bit higher.

In years past, I have lost two pounds a week by very carefully following a low-calorie diet and exercising almost every day. That's about as fast as I can lose and still feel healthy. Those quick-but-healthy weight losses didn't last forever, but they did generally last a year or two. (I've been gaining and losing pretty much the same 20 pounds on and off since high school.)

I have also lost weight at a rate of about eight pounds a week by dropping all carbohydrates. But that loss didn't last more than a few weeks.

I have lost 10 pounds since October with a more casual approach to dieting. That is, sometimes I'm really careful and good about eating and exercising, and other times not. I feel happy that I've been able to lose, and maintain that loss, over a bunch of birthdays and holidays. But now I need to step up the pace so I can get rid of the remaining extra 10 or 15.

What about whole-grain flours and brown rice?

Whole grains are much better than processed. But IMO it's best to limit your intake of grains of any kind. I try to have at least a meal or two a day without them.

It's hard, because grains are so ubiquitous in our diet. And we've been told for years that, to limit fat intake, we should focus on grains as the basis for a meal (e.g., sandwiches, pasta with veggies and meat, rice with beans, etc.)

But I now believe that the best approach is to make the vegetables the center of the meal. Add lean protein. A bit of bread/pasta/rice on the side, if necessary. So, for example, think of salads, pureed vegetable soups, grilled vegetables, stir fries, etc. Make one of the above from whatever vegetables you have around. Throw in some good combination of onions, peppers, garlic, herbs, vinegar, citrus. Add whatever lean proteins are handy -- chicken or fish from last night's dinner, smoked salmon, a can of tuna or beans, tofu or edemame. If needed, have a small scoop of pasta or rice or polenta or bread with it. (Or play with these proportions -- if your pureed vegetable soup is proteinless, for example, have a piece of cheese toast on the side.)

If I eat something bread-y, I like to think of it as my dessert. And in terms of what it does in your body -- in my limited layperson's understanding, anyway -- I think it's very similar to what a sweet dessert would do: spikes your blood sugar. Only not as quickly or drastically if it's whole-grain rather than processed.

Less healthily, I also like to think of a glass of wine as my dessert. It's fruit, after all!  ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #395 on: April 12, 2010, 04:12:25 pm »
I'm so fortunate--the pounds just keep melting away.  And, I'm loving my new way of eating.  It really seems like a life change I can live with.  I eat a whole lot less, but I eat fresh, whole foods that I love.  Recently, I noticed that I don't get hungry in the way I used to.  I feel more alert, and with more energy.

Of course, I always knew what was "good for me" for years, and just did the opposite LOL!  Now that I have embraced the change, it feels very doable.  

I may have to update my goal.  

Tonight's dinner:  lovely crudités:  celery, baby carrots, radishes, yellow peppers with a roasted red pepper hummus.  Followed by raw local Island Creek oysters from Duxbury, then seared, very rare tuna with a tamari/rice vinegar/garlic/ginger/sesame sauce.  Then a salad of frisée, mache, sunflower seeds and diced very ripe red pear (no dressing).  To top it off, coconut sorbet with fresh fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango).  A cheeky Australian chardonnay.  

I'm having so much fun losing weight!

That's wonderful, Paul!!

Keep up the good work!  :)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #396 on: April 12, 2010, 04:21:03 pm »
I't so unfair......
Men lose weight a lot faster than women.....   >:(

And they can pee standing up!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #397 on: April 12, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »
I't so unfair......
Men lose weight a lot faster than women.....   >:(

Must be biology. We need to be able to run away from sabre-toothed cats while we're out hunting, you need the extra fat to nourish the babies that grow inside you. ...

And they can pee standing up!

But some of us don't have a very good aim. ...  8)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #398 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:09 pm »
But some of us don't have a very good aim. ...  8)

speak for yourself.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #399 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52:10 pm »
speak for yourself.  ;D

What, you've never looked at the floor in a public men's room?

:P