Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698588 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #400 on: April 12, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »
I't so unfair......
Men lose weight a lot faster than women.....   >:(

And they can pee standing up!

Yes, but we get the multiple orgasms...I'll take that over peeing while standing enni day!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »
What about whole-grain flours and brown rice?

I was just thinking about this recently as I was looking at a loaf of whole grain bread. That is an oxymoron, because how can you have whole grain when it is ground up into flour? I suppose whole wheat bread is a little better than white bread, but even whole wheat flour doesn't have the wheat germ. Much better are wheat berries, the whole grain (seed) of wheat, which are delicious when cooked al dente and eaten with some olive oil and seasonings.

Other whole grains are amaranth, barley, buckwheat, bulgar wheat, couscous, kamut, millet, oats, quinoa, rye berries, spelt, teff, triticale, and corn. Try them all! I have a little book you can get free from Whole Foods that describes all the grains and how to cook them. It's one of my most used cookbooks!

As for rice, I find it rather boring, whether white or brown. When I order unagi at Tokyo Joes, I have it on top of brown rice, but I don't eat much of the rice.

A friend and I had a wonderful "Linner" at the Sherpa House last weekend, and feasted on fried rice and many vegetables as well as yak stew and Tandoori Chicken!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2010, 09:00:50 am »
I was just thinking about this recently as I was looking at a loaf of whole grain bread. That is an oxymoron, because how can you have whole grain when it is ground up into flour?

Not really. Whole in this context does not mean in one piece. It means that all the components of the grain are present.

http://www.wheatfoods.org/AboutWheat-what-is-whole-grains/Index.htm
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:40 am »
That was an interesting link; thank you! Nevertheless, I still feel that whole wheat flour, even though it contains the bran, germ, and endosperm of the wheat grain, still doesn't provide all the benefits of eating the whole grain, but it is certainly better than eating white or even "wheat" flour.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #404 on: April 13, 2010, 09:54:25 am »
That was an interesting link; thank you! Nevertheless, I still feel that whole wheat flour, even though it contains the bran, germ, and endosperm of the wheat grain, still doesn't provide all the benefits of eating the whole grain, but it is certainly better than eating white or even "wheat" flour.

I think eating whole wheat ground into flour would be the equivalent of eating broccoli pureed in a soup -- all the nutritious elements are there, just smashed up.

But when choosing bread, make sure "whole wheat" is the first ingredient. Often, bread makers will darken soft white bread with molasses to fool people into thinking what they're eating is healthier than regular white.

Much better are wheat berries, the whole grain (seed) of wheat, which are delicious when cooked al dente and eaten with some olive oil and seasonings.

Yum!  :)

Other whole grains are amaranth, barley, buckwheat, bulgar wheat, couscous, kamut, millet, oats, quinoa, rye berries, spelt, teff, triticale, and corn.

Couscous is actually wheat formed into grain-sized pieces, like pasta. It comes in both white and whole-grain varieties.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #405 on: April 13, 2010, 10:20:48 am »
Of couscous, you are correct, friend!  ;) Now, here's a great recipe for using bulgar. It's a type of wheat where wheat berries are cracked, boiled, and dried. You can cook bulgar by simmering it in twice its volume of water for about 20-25 minutes. After it has drained and cooled, mix 2 cups with a bunch of chopped parsley, some chopped tomato, 3 T. chopped fresh mint, 1 clove minced garlic, 3 green onions thinly sliced, 1/4 cup olive oil and the juice of one lemon. I also add some za'tar spice. Enjoy!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2010, 12:00:36 pm »
Of couscous, you are correct, friend!  ;) Now, here's a great recipe for using bulgar. It's a type of wheat where wheat berries are cracked, boiled, and dried. You can cook bulgar by simmering it in twice its volume of water for about 20-25 minutes. After it has drained and cooled, mix 2 cups with a bunch of chopped parsley, some chopped tomato, 3 T. chopped fresh mint, 1 clove minced garlic, 3 green onions thinly sliced, 1/4 cup olive oil and the juice of one lemon. I also add some za'tar spice. Enjoy!!

An old friend of mine used to call it "kablooey."  :laugh:

Here's some more thought for food, posted yesterday on CNN.com.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/12/glycemic.diet.heart/index.html?eref=rss_health&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_health+%28RSS%3A+Health%29

White bread, rice, and other carbs boost heart disease risk in women
By Denise Mann, Health.com

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Women who eat lots of carbs, (high glycemic index) are more likely to develop heart disease
    * Scientists speculate whether men's bodies process carbs differently
    * Cut out processed carbs and choose whole grains veggies, fruits, legumes

(Health.com) -- Women who eat more white bread, white rice, pizza, and other carbohydrate-rich foods that cause blood sugar to spike are more than twice as likely to develop heart disease than women who eat less of those foods, a new study suggests.

Men who eat lots of those carbohydrates -- which have what's known as a high glycemic index -- do not have the same increased risk, however, perhaps because their bodies process the carbs differently, the researchers found.

Only carbohydrates with a high glycemic index appear to hurt the heart. Carbs with a low glycemic index -- such as fruit and pasta -- were not associated with an increased risk of heart disease, which suggests that the increased risk is caused "not by a diet high in carbohydrates, but by a diet rich in rapidly absorbed carbohydrates," says the lead author of the study, Sabina Sieri, of the Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, a national institute for cancer research in Milan, Italy.

The glycemic index ranks on a scale from 1 to 100 how quickly (or slowly) carbohydrates affect your blood-sugar levels. (White bread scores 100.) Foods that rank below 55 are considered to have a low glycemic index and produce only small fluctuations in blood glucose and insulin levels; foods that rank above 70 are said to have a high glycemic index and tend to cause unhealthy spikes in blood sugar.

In the study, published this week in the Archives of Internal Medicine, Sieri and her colleagues analyzed data from a large, ongoing study of nutrition and cancer risk. The researchers surveyed roughly 48,000 Italian adults about their diets in detail, noting the amount and types of carbohydrates they consumed on a regular basis. (People with diabetes, who have abnormal levels of blood sugar and insulin, were excluded.) Not surprisingly -- the study was conducted in Italy, after all -- bread, pasta, and pizza were common sources of carbs.

During the eight-year follow-up period, 463 people in the study -- 65 percent of them men -- experienced heart problems (including heart attacks), had angioplasty or bypass surgery, or died of heart-disease-related causes.

The women who reported eating the most carbohydrates had twice the risk of developing heart disease as their counterparts who consumed the fewest carbs.

When the researchers broke the carbs into high and low glycemic index categories, the increased risk was even more apparent: Women who ate the most high glycemic foods had about 2.25 times the risk of developing heart disease than women who consumed the fewest. (To isolate the effect of the carbs on heart health, the researchers took body weight, physical activity, saturated fat intake, smoking, and a range of other health factors into account.)

Men, by contrast, were not at increased risk for heart disease regardless of how many -- or what type of -- carbs they consumed. Although the researchers aren't certain why this is, they suggest that it may be in part because carbohydrates with a high glycemic index lower HDL (or good cholesterol) and raise triglycerides less readily in men than they do in women.

Previous studies have shown a similar link between glycemic index and heart disease risk, and a similar discrepancy between men and women. "We hope to be able to repeat this analysis on...more than 500,000 subjects in order to confirm our results," Sieri says.

Joanna McMillan Price, a nutritionist in Sydney, Australia, and the author of The Low GI Diet, says that the new study provides yet more evidence to support a diet that favors low versus high glycemic index foods. "That means cutting out processed carbs and choosing instead minimally processed whole grains and low-GI starchy vegetables, fruits, and legumes," she says.

There are many benefits to limiting foods with a high glycemic index, Price adds. People who do so "will find their appetite easier to control, making weight control easier in turn," she says. "They will help to keep energy and mood steady over the day, and they reduce their risk of several chronic diseases including diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers."

According to Price, the best low glycemic index foods are whole-grain breads, barley, quinoa, beans and chickpeas, low-fat dairy products, fruit, and sweet potatoes.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #407 on: April 13, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »
Must be biology. We need to be able to run away from sabre-toothed cats while we're out hunting, you need the extra fat to nourish the babies that grow inside you. ...

Really?   ;)

It's a long time since there was a baby growing inside me, and -- quite honestly -- how many sabre-toothed cats did you run away from lately?   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #408 on: April 13, 2010, 05:07:19 pm »
Here you go, Lee: sprouted-grain bread.

I was cleaning out a pile of clippings and came upon one about sprouted-train bread. It's not made with flour; instead, you soak wheat berries, barley and other grains in water until they germinate, then ground the sprouts into a dough before baking. The bread may have a lower glycemic index and be higher in protein, thiamin and riboflavin than regular whole-grain bread.

Mmmmmm .... riboflavin ...  :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »
I weighed myself this lunchtime and actually.. depsite the sh*te exerecie routine and eating habits in the last few weeks, I guess the stress has made it fall off, as I'm actually the same weight as the last time I weighted myself 3 weeks ago.. so HURRAH! Which is 15 stones 2.

So yes, I've only lost 1lb so far in total but hey better than putting it on!!

Weighed myself today & I was 15 stone... I think these easytone reebok shoes that I got a few weeks ago are doing some good!

I haven't done a huge amount of exercise recently and haven't been watching what I eat much as I've been running about trying to get our house on the market and fill out applications/ getting ready for interviews.

So I'm quite happy with it!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/