Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 704601 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #810 on: November 06, 2011, 08:52:33 pm »
Excellent news, friend! Keep it up!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #811 on: November 06, 2011, 09:56:11 pm »
I'm starting to think about giving Weight Watchers a try after the holidays. Doesn't seem any point to trying to lose weight now with the holidays coming upon us like an armed assailant.

If I can do Weight Watchers on line and don't have to go to meetings, and learn their point system, I might be able to lose something.

I suppose it can't hurt to try.

At least my blood pressure is pretty good: 127/72 at my doctor's on Thursday of last week.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #812 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:26 am »
How timely, Jeff! I was just coming here to say that I started Weight Watchers. Again. Started two weeks ago and have lost over 6 pounds so far.

It's discouraging to have to keep doing it, but I realize that nothing else will really curtail my eating enough to lose weight. I usually eat pretty healthy stuff -- just too much of it. So my weight stays the same or even goes up.

Jeff, you can do WW online. Still, I would recommend going to meetings. There's something that really helps, at least for me, about the tacit (even semi-imaginary) accountability you have to the group and the leader, and the weekly weigh-ins and encouragement you get when things are going well. My goal is always to lose at least SOMETHING by the next weigh-in -- even half a pound -- rather than trying to lose 25 pounds by sometime in the distant future. I suppose it's a little like the AA "one day at a time" -- it's helpful to break a goal into manageable steps.

As for whether to wait until after the holidays, I would strongly recommend starting now, for several reasons. 1) It will limit the amount of weight you gain over the holidays, so you don't wind up with yet another 5 pounds to lose afterward. 2) It will keep you from slipping into that mentality of, "Oh well, I'm going to start Weight Watchers in January, so I might as well eat everything I want while I still can!" 3) It's not like you necessarily have to pig out every single day between now and New Year's -- WW lets you keep track of your food on the days when there are no festivities going on, but also gives you extra points to use on the days when you're at a party or dinner or whatever.

So like, on Thanksgiving, I'll still get to try everything at the dinner. But instead of, say, having a giant scoop of mashed potatoes and gravy and a huge slice of pie (as I would in my "Oh well, I'm joining WW in a month" mode), I'll have smaller helpings and keep track of them. Will I ever go over my points allowance? No doubt. But I won't go hog wild, so to speak. And I can make up for it on other days that week.

On Halloween, I stocked up on WW treats (2 points each) and ate about four or five of them. Did I go over my points for the day? Oh yes I did. Way over. But I only ate one real candy bar, even though I was passing out chocolate all night. (I can remember Halloweens in the past that have launched sickening three-day candy benders.) Then the next day, I went back to counting points and watching my food, and by the end of the week I had lost 3 pounds.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #813 on: November 08, 2011, 09:45:53 am »
Thanks for that input, Katharine! And congrats on the six-pound loss!  :D

I really hope "to continue the discussion"--and ask a question or two that shouldn't require you to betray any Weight Watchers patented secrets--but I'm really supposed to be working now, so. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #814 on: November 08, 2011, 05:04:04 pm »
Jeff, you can do WW online. Still, I would recommend going to meetings. There's something that really helps, at least for me, about the tacit (even semi-imaginary) accountability you have to the group and the leader, and the weekly weigh-ins and encouragement you get when things are going well. My goal is always to lose at least SOMETHING by the next weigh-in -- even half a pound -- rather than trying to lose 25 pounds by sometime in the distant future. I suppose it's a little like the AA "one day at a time" -- it's helpful to break a goal into manageable steps.

I have a couple of concerns about meetings. For one thing, getting to them might be an issue for me, if attending a meeting would require a long or complicated trip on public transportation. Then, too, it seems my days are already too short, and most evenings once I get home I'm too tired to do much of anything. It's daunting to think about shoe-horning a WW meeting into days that are already not long enough. "Something" would have to "give," to make room for a WW meeing, and that "something" could well have to be something else valuable, like going to the gym. I'll admit, too, that I would not be comfortable if I turned out to be the only guy there--which would have been the case when they held WW here where I work. So being able to do it on line, at home, at my own convenience, certainly has its attractions--which is not meant in any way to disparage the good reasons you suggest for attending meetings.

As for whether to wait until after the holidays, I would strongly recommend starting now, for several reasons. 1) It will limit the amount of weight you gain over the holidays, so you don't wind up with yet another 5 pounds to lose afterward. 2) It will keep you from slipping into that mentality of, "Oh well, I'm going to start Weight Watchers in January, so I might as well eat everything I want while I still can!" 3) It's not like you necessarily have to pig out every single day between now and New Year's -- WW lets you keep track of your food on the days when there are no festivities going on, but also gives you extra points to use on the days when you're at a party or dinner or whatever.

Of course, I already try to be careful about my eating now. But from Halloween through New Year's there are so many parties, and most of them I really can't get out of: I have three coworkers with birthdays between now and the end of the year (plus one has her 10-year anniversary of her employment); fortunately, we polished off those occasions for celebrating with one team luncheon today.

But then between Thanksgving and Christmas here at work there is the department holiday party, then the company-wide holiday party, then my team is having its own "goodie day," and people are always bringing unscheduled "treats" into the office, and then outside of work my leather club has its holiday party, and my medieval reenactment group has its annual Yule revel early in December, and friends want to get together to share a meal, and--oh, yes--there are the actual holiday dinners with the kinfolk. It's just too much!  :laugh:  And my supervisor is already planning a lunch to celebrate my 10-year anniversary just after New Years!  :laugh:

The idea of puttiing off trying WW till after the holidays is also somewhat based on my own history. For several years, after the holidays and into the early months of the new year, and including Lent,  ::)  I have managed to discipline myself and lose about five pounds. The trouble is that I can never seem to lose more than five pounds, and it all comes back when I do any traveling and can't maintain the fairly strict eating habits I ordinarily follow at home. (I gained another five pounds on my recent ramble to Boston and Provincetown, but I've managed to lose about three of those pounds since I've been home.)

Without knowing more about the WW program, my actual goal initially would be very modest, to lose ten pounds and get my BMI back out of the overweight range; fifteen pounds would be even better, but I'll settle for losing ten and keeping it off. But based on what I have been able to do over the past few years in the months after the holidays, I feel I have a better chance of meeting my goal if I wait until then, rather than try to start now.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #815 on: November 08, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »
I have a couple of concerns about meetings. For one thing, getting to them might be an issue for me, if attending a meeting would require a long or complicated trip on public transportation. Then, too, it seems my days are already too short, and most evenings once I get home I'm too tired to do much of anything. It's daunting to think about shoe-horning a WW meeting into days that are already not long enough. "Something" would have to "give," to make room for a WW meeing, and that "something" could well have to be something else valuable, like going to the gym. I'll admit, too, that I would not be comfortable if I turned out to be the only guy there--which would have been the case when they held WW here where I work. So being able to do it on line, at home, at my own convenience, certainly has its attractions--which is not meant in any way to disparage the good reasons you suggest for attending meetings.

If you go to the Weight Watchers website and type in your zipcode, it will tell you the locations and times of all the meetings near you. In my case, there are dozens to chose from within 10 minutes of here, though admittedly they're easier to get to in a car. The meetings are only half an hour long. But if you'd have to give up going to the gym to get there, I can see where that would be counterproductive.

And yes, you might well be the only guy there. But most of the groups I have belonged to have had one guy, maybe a couple. They get no more or less attention than anyone else. (Though I did once see everyone in the room stare daggers at a guy who, when people were sharing their weight loss, said, "Well, I just joined on Saturday, so I've only lost 10 pounds so far ...")

Of course, I already try to be careful about my eating now. But from Halloween through New Year's there are so many parties, and most of them I really can't get out of: I have three coworkers with birthdays between now and the end of the year (plus one has her 10-year anniversary of her employment); fortunately, we polished off those occasions for celebrating with one team luncheon today.

But then between Thanksgving and Christmas here at work there is the department holiday party, then the company-wide holiday party, then my team is having its own "goodie day," and people are always bringing unscheduled "treats" into the office, and then outside of work my leather club has its holiday party, and my medieval reenactment group has its annual Yule revel early in December, and friends want to get together to share a meal, and--oh, yes--there are the actual holiday dinners with the kinfolk. It's just too much!  :laugh:  And my supervisor is already planning a lunch to celebrate my 10-year anniversary just after New Years!  :laugh:

That is a lot. WW could help you keep your enjoyment of those "treats" etc. at a more manageable level without making you give them up entirely.

The idea of puttiing off trying WW till after the holidays is also somewhat based on my own history. For several years, after the holidays and into the early months of the new year, and including Lent,  ::)  I have managed to discipline myself and lose about five pounds. The trouble is that I can never seem to lose more than five pounds, and it all comes back when I do any traveling and can't maintain the fairly strict eating habits I ordinarily follow at home. (I gained another five pounds on my recent ramble to Boston and Provincetown, but I've managed to lose about three of those pounds since I've been home.)

I used to think that way, too. I'd wait until the momentum got going in January, when everyone's in the mood to diet. But I wound up gaining even more weight over the holidays, because I'd keep thinking of them as my "last chance" to pig out, in addition to being the holidays.

Still, to each his/her own!  :)

Without knowing more about the WW program, my actual goal initially would be very modest, to lose ten pounds and get my BMI back out of the overweight range; fifteen pounds would be even better, but I'll settle for losing ten and keeping it off. But based on what I have been able to do over the past few years in the months after the holidays, I feel I have a better chance of meeting my goal if I wait until then, rather than try to start now.

Weight Watchers lets you set your goal wherever you like within your (wide) range of healthy weight. Then they congratulate you when you lose 5%, 10%, every 5 lbs, and so on.

I sound like a commercial -- or a spammer!  :laugh:  Not saying it would work for everybody. And counting points is a pain. But the program is pretty reliable and effective if you follow it.

I SHOULD be making money for these posts.  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #816 on: November 08, 2011, 08:26:25 pm »
I sound like a commercial -- or a spammer!  :laugh:  Not saying it would work for everybody. And counting points is a pain. But the program is pretty reliable and effective if you follow it.

I SHOULD be making money for these posts.  :laugh:

Maybe you could write for them!  :D

Of course, I realized after I hit post the last time that I forgot to include all the Christmas gifts that are stuff to eat.  :-\

But I never consciously thought of the holiday season as an opportunity to pig out. It just sort of happened because of all the opportunities thrust at me to eat more than I ordinarily do.  :-\

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #817 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:20 pm »
I'm sure Weight Watchers is great...I've never participated in it so I have no idea. But I have a modest proposal to insert here. The holidays ARE a minefield and sometimes you can't dodge imbibing too many drinks or treats. BUT, there is another solution, and it involves (sorry to bring this up, but it really works!) the E word. Steel yourself...it's called... exercise. No, I'm not talking about walking to work, or walking the dog or even walking around the block. I'm talking about working up a sweat and going flat out at your peak heart rate for as long as you can, and then resting, and then doing it again. It works! You may be sore, but if you keep at it, the soreness goes away within a couple of weeks. And, you can see results, while still eating about the same amount, or just making small changes. What's really great is that after exercising, you will find that you have actually LESS appetite for sugary fatty foods. Trust me...you will!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #818 on: November 09, 2011, 05:21:15 am »
If you have an android or iphone Jeff, I'd definitely recommend the myfitnesspal app (also at www.myfitnesspal.com) Both the app and the website are free.

I've lost 35lbs since January just using that.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #819 on: November 12, 2011, 12:36:20 pm »
For all my pissing and moaning about my weight, yesterday I ate like a normal person.

For breakfast I had one egg, fried hard; two turkey sausage patties; one serving of Quaker Instant Grits (with margarine and salt); one banana; two cups of coffee, with one teaspoon each of unrefined sugar and enough whole milk to lighten the coffee.

Lunch was an Italian hoagie (aka sub, grinder), one serving of pretzel nuggets, and one 12-oz can of Coke Classic.

Dinner was about a pint of Pennsylvania Dutch chicken pot pie (not a "pie," a chicken stew with egg noodles and potatoes); a large serving of fresh broccoli (I don't know how much it was by weight) with margarine and salt; one slice of bread with margarine; a large glass of water; and a slice of shoo-fly pie for dessert.

In the evening I had half a bottle (about 10 oz) of Caffeine-Free Diet Coke, one serving of pretzel nuggets for a snack, and one scotch and water.

This coming week will not be a good one for my "diet." I just had an e-mail from a friend who wants to get together for dinner because he has "personal issues" (apparently involving his job, his boyfriend, a future job opportunity for his boyfriend, and their future together) that he wants to talk about. But I also wanted to take in Immortals after work one evening this week (it's playing at a theater near where I work) and then have a burger and fries at Bobby's Burger Palace (also near both my office and the theater). I"d better check my budget as well as my waistline.  :-\