Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698915 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #840 on: April 16, 2012, 09:27:39 am »
Well, it didn't take long.  :-\

Yesterday was the Second Sunday of Easter. According to my scale this morning, I've gained back all the weight I lost during Lent.  :-\  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #841 on: April 28, 2012, 01:54:48 am »
Be careful, friend! Because low fat, sugar-free stuff does NOT equal low calorie or healthy always. Take, for instance, sugar free soda. I'm convinced there is hardly anything worse you can put in your body than that...it leaves you craving bad stuff and gets your system all out of whack. Plus, those imitation butter spreads like margarine. Stay away from those, far away!! What goes on my bread (what little I eat) is pure olive oil, with a little balsamic vinegar and za'tar spice added. That, or dijon mustard (the kind that has no mayo or sugar in it). As a general rule, I advise everyone to avoid processed foods, ennithing in the frozen aisles (except frozen fruits and vegetables), prepared foods, juices, drinks in bottles, and ennithing Starbucks!! (except straight black coffee). Instead of juice, have a piece of fruit. Instead of pizza or frozen dinners, have a salad that you make yourself. Instead of bread, cook up some wheat berries, barley, brown rice, or bulgar. And so on.

I've been doing some research on foods and weight loss (and weight gain), and everything Lee says here seems to sum it all up perfectly.   Although I do love Starbuck's Iced Green Teas...Unsweetend of course!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread
« Reply #842 on: April 28, 2012, 02:00:24 am »
Apparently, this is roasted buckwheat. It is also a grain, as is amaranth, barley, bulgar, couscous, kamut, millet, oats, corn, quinoa, rye, spelt, teff, triticale, and wheat.

Aside from the wheat berries, I like cracked wheat, barley, bulgar, and couscous. There is hardly ennithing better than pearl barley which makes a wonderful pilaf, breakfast cereal, or soup. I prefer cracked wheat to bulgar for making tabbouli, a wonderful dish with chopped parsley, tomato, mint, garlic, scallions, olive oil and lemon. Another wonderful grain dish is grits or, if you prefer, polenta. It's great for breakfast with a poached egg. Contrary to popular thought, these whole grains do not always need to be cooked for a long time. Pearl barley and millet should be cooked 35 minutes, kasha and bulgar for 20 minutes, cracked wheat for 25 minutes. Couscous is pre-cooked so only needs 7 minutes. Wheat berries require 50 minutes if soaked overnight. To add flavor you can soak grains in broth or fruit juice and add your favorite herbs and spices, including Old Bay Seasoning, saffron, za'tar, or onion/garlic seasoning.

Bump to find later...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
After five weeks of trekking in Nepal, I went to my closet, pulled out a pair of jeans that I haven't been able to wear for at least 15 years and put them on. They are not even tight on me! I got a LOT of exercise in Nepal. It was up a mountain and down the other side all day long. IT was mostly high altitude walking, and I climbed up to a height of 17,600 feet at the highest point. What's more, the altitude made me lose my appetite. I was quite hungry when I got to a teahouse and the food was quite good, but after a few bites I had trouble eating any more. Most evenings, I just had a bowl of soup for dinner. I could not eat rice, potatoes, pasta, or bread. They almost made me gag. But I did get enough nourishment to keep my energy levels up.

I definitely recommend trekking in Nepal if you want to be in the best shape of your life. But, it's like childbirth: you suffer a lot, but when it's over, you remember it as the best thing that ever happened to you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

I am very happy for you to have been able to fulfill this particular thing on your list.  I am even more happy that you loved it so.

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Thank you, friend!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
Awesome Lee!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #847 on: October 03, 2012, 07:17:08 pm »
Friends, I'm back to my fall regimen which is described below. I hope to be fit this winter because I've joined an ice climbing group and I want to be able to participate. Do you have any ideas about good fall fitness regimens?

Eating breakfast. I eat a healthy breakfast most days and it gives me more stamina throughout the day. I usually eat some kind of whole grain cereal with at least two fruits on top (usually banana and some berries) and 1% milk. Occasionally I will have 1 egg with some whole grain toast, a tomato slice, and sometimes a small slice of ham. Also sometimes I have a full Irish breakfast, with vegetables and hash brown potatoes. If I have to skip breakfast, I eat a granola bar.

Lighter dinners: I usually have an early dinner sometimes even around 4 pm if I've skipped lunch. It consists of a few ounces of chicken, fish, or red meat plus two or three vegetables such as sweet potatoes, squash, onions, eggplant, mushrooms or broccoli. Also I often have fruit such as broiled peaches in a spicy oriental sauce. Unless a whole grain is available, I just have a couple of bites of rice or pasta, and if I eat potatoes, I eat them with the skins. I try to avoid eating or drinking anything after 8 pm

Eating out: I try to limit this to once or twice a week, and I schedule extra workouts before or after.

Snacks: I have my favorite "cheating" foods and I've done a good job cutting back on them this summer, especially milk, which I used to put in my coffee, but no more, and raw almonds, which I try to limit to one handful a day. In the afternoons, if I have the urge to eat a snack, I have dinner instead. I keep my alcohol consumption to two small glasses of white wine per day and often I go without.

Exercise: I work out every day or every other day after work and before dinner. Once a month, I schedule an all-day hike or other strenuous activity. I use my ipod when working out, and my workout data is sent to Nike+ where I can review it. I change my workout goals often and vary my workout for the best results.

Attitude: I fall off this regimen regularly, but I just pick myself up and get right back on! I hope some of these tips might help you.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #848 on: October 04, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »
I've lost almost 5 kg since I came home from Boston in June.

A far cry from what I need to lose, but it's a good start.

But the longer you go, the harder it gets. So we'll see.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #849 on: October 05, 2012, 12:06:33 am »
A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step...

Good for you, Sonja! Let us know your secrets!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:28:07 pm by Front-Ranger »