Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698604 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #900 on: March 13, 2013, 12:08:33 pm »
No gimmicks, just the basics.  I believe in the no-carb rule.  It certainly worked for me three years ago. 

So, after a weekend of major and lovely carbs, it's show time.

Tonight's dinner was a little creamy cheese with pear and apple slices (be gone, you dreaded crackers!) followed by lovely fresh king salmon sautéed on high heat, accompanied by roasted shallots, carrots and parsnips; a little steamed broccoli and an avocado salad.  No carbs and good fats. Sparkling water, and easy on the wine. 

I thoroughly believe in the no- (or at least, low-) carb rule, too. And not just for weight loss, but for overall good health. Good luck, Paul!

BTW, new findings suggest that "bad" fats are better for you than previously thought: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/eat-your-heart-out/?ref=magazine

I've spent the past three months eating as much fat as I want, whether it's olive oil and avocados or butter and brie.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #901 on: March 13, 2013, 12:19:19 pm »
I've spent the past three months eating as much fat as I want, whether it's olive oil and avocados or butter and brie.

With all that fat, just make sure you continue to get enough "roughage."  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #902 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:59 pm »

I thoroughly believe in the no- (or at least, low-) carb rule, too. And not just for weight loss, but for overall good health. Good luck, Paul!

BTW, new findings suggest that "bad" fats are better for you than previously thought: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/eat-your-heart-out/?ref=magazine

I lost 110 pounds in the mid-80s going low carb.  I didn't always stay with it, and I exercised like mad!  The weight fell off, but once my daughter was born, I didn't think low carb was a great way to eat while breast-feeding.  I gained those 100 pounds back and then some  :'( .  I still avoid bread and sugar, most fruits, except melons, as they're relatively low carb.  The thing about going low carb is that if you go off of it, the weight will return rather quickly.  You have to eat low carb for life if you want to maintain weight lost that way.  Or exercise like a fiend!  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #903 on: March 14, 2013, 11:02:57 pm »
With all that fat, just make sure you continue to get enough "roughage."  ;)

Thanks for the reminder, but I'm in good shape there. I eat a lot of vegetables, including some sort of salad pretty much every day.

Turns out one of the best substitutes for bread, pasta and rice is ... lettuce! You just take whatever you would put on top of the starch and make a salad out of it instead.

Tonight and yesterday I had shredded BBQed pork for dinner. In the South, the classic BBQ pork sandwich layers cole slaw atop the pork inside the sandwich. I do the same thing, except I use chipotle cole-slaw dressing and lose the bread.

And when I make eggs for breakfast, instead of toast I have them accompanied by either sauteed spinach or salsa/pico de gallo.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #904 on: March 19, 2013, 10:51:21 am »
The only way I can think of that a person would gain all the weight back after losing a significant amount would be if you kept all your old clothes in the larger size. If you gave all those large clothes away and treated yourself to a new wardrobe in the smaller size, then you would know right away if you were gaining weight back, because the clothes would be uncomfortable. Then, you would take measures to keep from gaining more. Does this make sense?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #905 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »
Thanks for the reminder, but I'm in good shape there. I eat a lot of vegetables, including some sort of salad pretty much every day.

Turns out one of the best substitutes for bread, pasta and rice is ... lettuce! You just take whatever you would put on top of the starch and make a salad out of it instead.

Tonight and yesterday I had shredded BBQed pork for dinner. In the South, the classic BBQ pork sandwich layers cole slaw atop the pork inside the sandwich. I do the same thing, except I use chipotle cole-slaw dressing and lose the bread.

And when I make eggs for breakfast, instead of toast I have them accompanied by either sauteed spinach or salsa/pico de gallo.

Now that you mention it, I've heard of using lettuce instead of bread.

I can only imagine what I might weigh today if I hadn't gone to carrying a salad for lunch every day. Most weekdays I have salad twice a day, once for lunch and again at supper as a side dish.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #906 on: March 19, 2013, 02:42:59 pm »
FRiend Lee, I've seen that happen a number of places.....you can get stuff to eat served in a big lettuce leaf instead.

I don't do it because lettuce is the green with the least nutritional value. 

If I'm going to eat greens, I'll just have a salad and eat spinach and dark greens mixed.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #907 on: March 19, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »
Actually, it was Katherine who brought up the great idea of substituting lettuce for bread, buns, etc.

But I'll contribute that I love spicy meatballs and green onions wrapped in a lettuce leaf and drizzled with hoisin sauce. Messy, but yummy!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #908 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:56 pm »
I had to go almost two weeks without my gym workout because the clubhouse was being retiled. Finally, yesterday I donned my snowsuit and walked down to the clubhouse. I was able to do a short cardio workout followed by my usual weight circuit (a fancy way of saying I went around and did a few repetitions on each weight machine), finishing up with my beloved inclined bench and Roman chair. You should have heard the clicking and clacking as my spine realigned itself! It's amazing how well I feel today after a good workout. I'm ready to break my Lenten fast (not really a fast) and have a yummy Easter feast!

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #909 on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »
They're redoing the gym I go to as welll, new flooring and repainting the walls.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!