Author Topic: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)  (Read 698772 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: I Wish I Knew How to LOSE You--The Weight Loss Thread (check first post)
« Reply #910 on: March 28, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
The only way I can think of that a person would gain all the weight back after losing a significant amount would be if you kept all your old clothes in the larger size. If you gave all those large clothes away and treated yourself to a new wardrobe in the smaller size, then you would know right away if you were gaining weight back, because the clothes would be uncomfortable. Then, you would take measures to keep from gaining more. Does this make sense?

You would think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, for me it doesn't work that way -- too many times I have found myself forced to buy pants, especially, in a larger size that I no longer have available. And then the trap is that I don't want to spend money on clothes in a size I think I'm going to diet out of, so I buy cheaper and sometimes uglier clothing, so I feel bad about my appearance for two reasons.

But if I were smart, I would keep at least a pair of jeans and a pair of black pants packed away in that larger size, just in case. Luckily, I DID do that with my "skinny" clothes, so now I am finally getting to use them.

FRiend Lee, I've seen that happen a number of places.....you can get stuff to eat served in a big lettuce leaf instead.

I don't do it because lettuce is the green with the least nutritional value

If I'm going to eat greens, I'll just have a salad and eat spinach and dark greens mixed.

In this case, the overall purpose is less about trying to add nutrition than trying to subtract the starch from the bread/pasta/rice/tortilla. But yes, I usually eat this stuff in salad form and try to pick interesting varieties of lettuce or other greens, including spinach, arugula, kale or whatever. Excluding iceberg lettuce, I think leafy greens are one of the most nutritious vegetables there are.

If I were to make a "wrap" of lettuce -- which I haven't actually done at home, though it wouldn't be a bad idea -- I'd probably use Boston/bibb/butter lettuce. Or maybe kale or chard or cabbage! I can think of lots of good low-carb wraps: chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, Asian, Southwestern, old-country cabbage roll style ... They'd be great for taking to work, too.

Now I'm getting hungry!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #911 on: March 29, 2013, 09:26:43 am »

Well, today was the weigh in at work for the biggest loser, and I lost.

Oh well!

It was close, the winner lost 2% more of his body weight than I did.

I'll still keep this up, as I like that my clothes are loose now.  ;D  I did manage to lose 17 pounds.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #912 on: March 29, 2013, 09:39:04 am »
17 pounds is a lot!

Well done, Chuck!!   :-*

And good luck in keeping it up. That's actually as big a challenge as losing.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #913 on: March 29, 2013, 09:45:17 am »
Everyone's a winner in the biggest loser competition. It's sort of like being a Brokie...

I'm a bit sorry to see Lent end. I didn't get to fast and be as ascetic as I wanted to be. Next year I want to take a retreat somewhere, and do some meditating and body work. But spring, and good weather and outdoor activity weather are coming soon!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #914 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:43 am »
Well, when I weighed myself this morning, the needle of the scale was firmly on 160. I'm sure it will bounce back up again, but if I can continue this trend--and then figure out how to stablilize--those size 36 pants I just bought may be too large and I'll have to go buy more in size 34 again. That would be nice.  :)

Thing is, right now, I'm just living with being constantly hungry. I'm sure the day will come when I'm tired of that. It always does. Then the weight will start to increase again.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #915 on: April 17, 2013, 11:50:20 am »
Well, when I weighed myself this morning, the needle of the scale was firmly on 160. I'm sure it will bounce back up again, but if I can continue this trend--and then figure out how to stablilize--those size 36 pants I just bought may be too large and I'll have to go buy more in size 34 again. That would be nice.  :)

Thing is, right now, I'm just living with being constantly hungry. I'm sure the day will come when I'm tired of that. It always does. Then the weight will start to increase again.  :-\

Don't say that!  :)  Maybe you'll finally be satisfied with eating less, I hope so.  Congrats on your success.  I've sort of leveled off, but I'll get back on-track soon.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #916 on: April 20, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »

The beauty of a high-fat, low-carb diet is that you're not constantly hungry. You get tired of the food limitations, for sure. But you don't really miss sweets and starches as much as you'd think. And since you get to eat something whenever you're hungry, it's easier to stick with it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #917 on: April 20, 2013, 05:51:06 pm »

Don't say that!  :)  Maybe you'll finally be satisfied with eating less, I hope so.  Congrats on your success.  I've sort of leveled off, but I'll get back on-track soon.

Well, this has happened before, so I more or less expect it. Or, what has really frequently happened is that I'll lose the weight, and then I'll do something like go on vacation, where it's more difficult to control how much I eat because more restaurant meals are involved, and so the weight comes back.

Best of luck to you getting back on track!  :)

The beauty of a high-fat, low-carb diet is that you're not constantly hungry. You get tired of the food limitations, for sure. But you don't really miss sweets and starches as much as you'd think. And since you get to eat something whenever you're hungry, it's easier to stick with it.

So, what would constitute an acceptable snack? 
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #918 on: April 20, 2013, 08:44:05 pm »
So, what would constitute an acceptable snack?  

Nuts of all kinds, seeds, cheese, olives, avocado, smoked salmon, eggs. Hummus with carrot sticks and chopped bell peppers. Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Chicken salad scooped onto cucumber slices. Any combination of protein and vegetables on a salad.

If you're craving something sweet, choose berries or chunks of coconut (my grocery store chop it up and sells it packaged in the produce department). The weirdest thing I eat is spoonfuls of Crave Bros. mascarpone cheese, which has no sugar, very few carbs, but tastes like sweetened whipped cream the consistency of butter. Sometimes I stud it with fresh blueberries. Yum.

Fat is of no concern. And because my fruit intake has been mostly limited to berries, I don't worry about the fact that they're out of season and overly expensive at the moment.

Some low-carb enthusiasts avoid dairy, but I don't. That would be too limiting for me.

I have found some low-carb tortillas that aren't too bad cooked. I don't think they'd be good enough raw to make a good wrap, but you could do a microwaved or grilled burrito with refried beans, cheese, salsa, maybe eggs. Or you can make them into enchiladas.

Liquor -- whiskey, vodka, etc. -- has no carbs, but watch the mixes. Wine has some. Beer has a lot.

I've lost about 25 pounds since Thanksgiving and would like to lose another seven or so.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #919 on: April 20, 2013, 09:59:01 pm »
Fat is of no concern.

Thanks for all those suggestions, Katharine. Some of them sound pretty high-toned (smoked salmon, asparagus wrapped in prosciutto). I'm afraid a hard-boiled egg might be more my speed.  ;D

Actually, since I asked my question--and this speaks to what I quoted from your post--I'm not so sure fat isn't a concern for me, because I have a strong family history of heart disease.

Liquor -- whiskey, vodka, etc. -- has no carbs, but watch the mixes.

I'm glad to know my scotch passes muster. I'll just switch to water as a mixer--which is how I drink it at home--instead of soda, which is how I ordinarily order it in a bar.