Author Topic: Sundance: Annette Bening, Julianne Moore wow the fest with Gay Marriage drama  (Read 9749 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/sundance_annette_bening_and_ju.html

Sundance:
Annette Bening and Julianne Moore
Wow the Fest With a Gay Marriage Drama

By: Logan Hill
1/26/10 at 2:00 PM

Photo: Antidote International Films, Inc.

Last night, Sundance welcomed its next big hit — at exactly the right time. Lisa Chodolenko, the director of High Art  and Laurel Canyon,  returned with her new film The Kids Are All Right,  starring Annette Bening and Julianne Moore as a lesbian couple who are unwillingly reunited with the biological father of their two teenage kids, a sperm donor played by Mark Ruffalo. So far, the deserved buzz is overwhelming. Now the only questions left are: Which distributor will acquire it? And after they do pick it up, which actress will they push for Best Actress: Moore or Bening?

Introducing the film at its surprise Monday-night premiere, fest director John Cooper worried aloud that the theater was so packed with film executives that a fire could wipe out all that's left of independent film. It wasn't an exaggeration: After the lights went down, late arrival Harvey Weinstein was still lumbering along the aisle, searching for a seat in the dark as ushers asked him to turn off his BlackBerry.

It's hard to imagine Harvey — and plenty of others — weren't writing up their bids immediately after the raucous applause died down. The film boasts a whip-smart and witty script that left the audience howling, and allows Moore and Bening to be funny like you've rarely seen them before — and it features a seductive turn by Mark Ruffalo, as an overgrown, hipster man-child.

But Bening and Moore are the real treats. Bening plays an uptight, wine-slurping doctor and Moore plays her wife, a compost-loving free spirit. They have two kids, an 18-year-old girl (Mia Wasikowska, who will soon play Alice in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland ) and a 15-year-old son (Josh Hutcherson) who both reach out to the sperm donor (Ruffalo), who gave his DNA to each mother. Chodolenko shows a warm, funny side and crafts some brilliant chemistry between her two leads, who make an extraordinarily believable onscreen couple. This may turn out to be one of the most significant lesbian films yet made — especially because it's premiering in the long shadow of Prop 8. But straight marrieds will have little trouble identifying with the undermining, bitching, nagging, teasing, and reconciling, either: Lighthearted and uproariously funny, it's not at all a gay-marriage film, but just a great film about marriage. Now, back to that question: Who to push for Best Actress?
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

Most excellent!  Thanks for pointing this out Bud!  :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Ellemeno

Wow.  I tend to really admire both those actresses, so I'm excited by this.  Thanks John!

Offline Ellemeno

I think of The Who when I hear the title "The Kids Are All Right."

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmowtt9vhLY[/youtube]

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Sounds like a winner!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Ooh!

Thanks for posting this, John!  :)

I too admire both Annette Bening and Julianne Moore as actresses and it would be amazing to see them together as an onscreen couple.
I'll definitely be on the lookout for this one.  I hope it gets good distribution and exposure.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

I just found this bit of news on Imdb:  :)

Julianne Moore and Annette Bening's 'The Kids Are All Right' goes to Focus

The second big acquisition of the 2010 Sundance Film Festival occurred today as Focus Features acquired U.S. rights to Lisa Cholodenko's acclaimed dramedy "The Kids Are All Right" for reportedly just under $5 million.

Focus and Summit were the most intense bidders for the picture which centers on a  Los Angeles lesbian couple (Annette Bening and Julian Moore) dealing with their children's introduction to their sperm donor, aka biological father (Mark Ruffalo).  The film drew raves after its Monday night screening and could be a strong commercial and awards season player depending on when Focus decides to release it.

While Summit was extremely interested in the film it appears they weren't willing to go as high as Focus to win the rights.  Additionally, Focus has had a tremendous amount of success with gay-themed films such as "Brokeback Mountain" and "Milk" which give them insight how to market it broadly.  That was no doubt a reassurance to the producers and the filmmakers that they would be in good hands.  Other reported suitors included Fox Searchlight, The Weinstein Company and Sony Pictures Classics.

It should be noted Focus hasn't picked up any films at Sundance since they paid $10 million for "Hamlet 2" in 2008.  That film was a commercial disappointment and the mini-major has been very careful on the festival circuit since then.  Considering the company's weak 2009 (where only "Coraline" was a true break out hit), taking a chance on "Kids" may have been just what the NBCUni division ordered.

Other films still working on closing deals include "Catfish," "HappyThankYouMorePlease," "The Company Men," "The Tillman Story," "Splice" and "Winter's Bone."  The first big deal of the festival occurred when Lionsgate bought the Ryan Reynolds thriller "Buried" for a little over $3 million on Sunday.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-1-27-julianne-moore-and-annette-bening-s-the-kids-are-all-right-goes-to-focus

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Focus is all right! 

Sorry, but Hamlet2 and Coraline were pretty awful.

• BetterMost Supporter!

:-*

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh56_10itJ0&feature=PlayList&p=3659927D5F6A56FC&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=18[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/movies/29sundance.html?8dpc

Don’t Smirk, Sundance’s Roots Do Show

(....)

Mr. Ruffalo, who plays a priest in “Sympathy for Delicious,” also shows up in “The Kids Are All Right,” from Lisa Cholodenko, the director of “High Art” and “Laurel Canyon,” who returned to Sundance with her best work yet. Pitched between drama and comedy, the movie centers on two lesbians, exquisitely played by Annette Bening and Julianne Moore, whose world is rocked, with equal amounts of dread and pleasure, when their children (Mia Wasikowska and Josh Hutcherson) contact their biological father, a sperm donor turned restaurateur (Mr. Ruffalo, as excellent as the rest of the cast). With characters who are as honest as the movie’s Los Angeles locations, Ms. Cholodenko has created a generous, nearly note-perfect portrait of a modern family that is, as its title suggests, political and insistently independent.

Also re: from the same NYT  Sundance article:

THE RUNAWAYS Kristen Stewart, right, as Joan Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie.

Ms. [Tamra] Davis’s intimate knowledge of the art and music world of that legendary scene gives her documentary the authentic tang missing in a fiction movie about a different 1970s legend, the rock band the Runways. Directed by Floria Sigismondi, “The Runaways” traces the rough and ready days of this all-girl band, primarily through the relationship between its two star teenage attractions, Joan Jett (Kristen Stewart, very fine) and Cherie Currie (Dakota Fanning, often just as good). While the movie opens on a suitably punk note with a close-up of a drop of menstrual blood hitting the ground, a hopeful sign of some bad-girl attitude, it soon settles into a middle-of-the-road groove turning down the volume when it should go to 11.

Also, looking very, very  good:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/01/21/movies/0121-sundance_index.html

Inside Sundance

The 2010 Sundance Film Festival runs from Jan. 21-31 and opens with the Allen Ginsberg biopic "Howl,"
with Aaron Tveit and James Franco.

"8: The Mormon Proposition" focuses on the role the Mormon church played in the the passing of
California's Proposition 8, which banned same sex marriages.

Cool!
 8)

"Camping Out"