Author Topic: Brightest Full Moon of 2010--Friday Night  (Read 9151 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Brightest Full Moon of 2010--Friday Night
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 11:16:44 pm »
29 degrees sounds downright balmy!  :laugh:  It's 5 degrees here 

It's 5 here, too! Wow, you took a walk? You are a better woman than I. I used to force my kids to take "moon walks" with me whenever there was a full moon, but I let it slide tonight. I did, however, go out in the car and ooh and ahh to my now-teenage son, who didn't seem all that impressed. For some reason, he appeared more preoccupied with the girls he was going to meet up with at the mall than what was happening in the sky.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 11:30:48 pm »

It's about 5 here in Pittsburgh too.  My apartment is nice and toasty though... my landlord-heated building is usually a little too heated.  But, tonight I'm grateful.

I'll admit that I haven't paid too much attention to the moon recently.  I remember in them early days here at BetterMost, I felt like I was constantly tracking the cycles of the moon for the monthly full moon chats that we used to schedule.  But, since those chats have stopped... I've slacked off. LOL.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 01:36:39 am »
Ahhhhh-WOOOOOOOOOO-Wooo-Woooo-WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think I'm changing into a werewolf!

Sure do wish I could see that moon tonight. It is cloudy here as well. And cold. Maybe tomorrow will offer a better viewing. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:07 am »
I commented on it to my sister too last night, as I was driving towards Timmins. The sun had not quite set yet and the moon looked awfully full on the horizon. And then as I got really near my destination, I was commenting that the sky was better lit in my mirrors than in from of me where there was still a bit of dusk-ish light.

By readjusting the mirror I was able to look at the moon and found it to be rather bright indeed.

I just thought it was unusual that this thread was started on a phenomenon that I too had observed, way up here near the 49th parallel.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
It's about 5 here in Pittsburgh too.  My apartment is nice and toasty though... my landlord-heated building is usually a little too heated.  But, tonight I'm grateful.

I'll admit that I haven't paid too much attention to the moon recently.  I remember in them early days here at BetterMost, I felt like I was constantly tracking the cycles of the moon for the monthly full moon chats that we used to schedule.  But, since those chats have stopped... I've slacked off. LOL.

Aren't we blessed in so many ways? I think sometimes that we have so many blessings that we forget to be thankful sometimes. When I lived near (nearer) to Memphis, I worked in a soup kitchen downtown on some Saturdays. Those people were so grateful for a place to come in and have a meal--usually a sandwich and drink and chips. I try to be mindful that it's a good thing when I'm warm, and sad that others are cold. We're all under that same wolf moon.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 11:33:51 am »
I commented on it to my sister too last night, as I was driving towards Timmins. The sun had not quite set yet and the moon looked awfully full on the horizon. And then as I got really near my destination, I was commenting that the sky was better lit in my mirrors than in from of me where there was still a bit of dusk-ish light.

By readjusting the mirror I was able to look at the moon and found it to be rather bright indeed.

I just thought it was unusual that this thread was started on a phenomenon that I too had observed, way up here near the 49th parallel.

:) Cool!

I guess people all over the world could see it? Any Europeans see the big bright moon? Some of us in the U.S. had so much cloud cover--it was not visible. That's a lot of clouds!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 11:35:38 am »
Ahhhhh-WOOOOOOOOOO-Wooo-Woooo-WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think I'm changing into a werewolf!

Sure do wish I could see that moon tonight. It is cloudy here as well. And cold. Maybe tomorrow will offer a better viewing. :)

Are your knuckles hairy?  :P 8) :o :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 11:38:42 am »
It's 5 here, too! Wow, you took a walk? You are a better woman than I. I used to force my kids to take "moon walks" with me whenever there was a full moon, but I let it slide tonight. I did, however, go out in the car and ooh and ahh to my now-teenage son, who didn't seem all that impressed. For some reason, he appeared more preoccupied with the girls he was going to meet up with at the mall than what was happening in the sky.

Kids usually only appreciate stuff like that when they get their own kids! Then they realize the importance of certain times.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:03:50 pm »
It's actually 25 here. I don't know why I put 29. But that is much better than 5! I wouldn't want to be caught out with a flat tire in either one. I just scraped some snow off my car and warmed it up. I was ready to get inside by then. Didn't wear a coat or gloves--just pants, sweatshirt, and boots. If I were going on the road, I'd layer!  ;D  What did you all wear on your walk? It's not so bad as long as the wind isn't blowing.

Oh, we were definitely dressed in layers with our heaviest winter coats!  Plus thinsulate gloves, scarves, hats and hoods!  :laugh:  And nice warm boots even though there isn't any snow.  So naah, not so brave, really!  And, you're right, Shasta, it was a very still night and w/o the wind blowing it wasn't so bad.  But our walk wasn't quite as long as the ones we normally take in fall, spring and summer. 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 01:55:23 pm »
Going to be too cloudy here tonight to see the moon.  :(  We're right on the northern edge of that big storm. We might get some snow flurries out of it, but that snow won't amount to much.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.