Author Topic: Not a football fan? What are you doing today?  (Read 33989 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Not a football fan? What are you doing today?
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:29 am »
Superbowl, Schmooperbowl

Clueless about football?

Can't tell a tight end from a touchdown?

Couldn't care less about half-time?

Disinterested in $90,000-per-second TV commercials?

Don't know what a wardrobe malfunction is?

You're not alone, friend!

Tell us what you're doing today!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Not a football fan? What are you doing today?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 11:57:24 am »
I'll start.

Luckily, we're not snowed-in where I live, and it's a beautiful, sunny yet cold day.  I'll be out and about doing errands.

Later, a healthy dinner, and, courtesy of Netflix, a viewing of:

North by Northwest!!  That wonderful Hitchcock film featuring a handsomer-than-ever Cary Grant with Eva Marie Saint, the incomparable James Mason, and starring SUSPENSE!

One of several posters.

The famous faux Frank Lloyd Wright house.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRfmTpmIUwo[/youtube]
Slightly bizarre trailer hosted by Hitchcock himself.

Cary and Eva.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:05:01 pm »
A great choice, Paul!

I am not a football fan but I - correctly I am sure - predicted the Saints as favorites to win. We'll see. I won't be watching because I can't sit still for televisions.

I'll be catching up on the many chapters of stories I haven't written during the weeks of my medical crises and relocation to DC, taking photos of the ridiculously epic snowbanks outside the window, and hemming my newly fitting pin-stripe dress pants that are three sizes smaller than the last pair I gave away.  YAY!

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »
I'm completely clueless about football. I DO know what a wardrobe malfuntion is though.  :laugh:

But the superbowl doesn't go unnoticed here. There was a two page article in our weekend newspaper. I haven't read it, might do later. The title is 'American football is a passion, the Superbowl is an orgy'.  ;D That sounds interesting.

Enjoy the movie Paul.

Stay warm Louise!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:32:16 pm »
Great idea for a thread, Paul!  It is gorgeous in Boston today. I have been up and about since nine. I went to Meeting and now I have a few errands and chores.

My beloved will be over this afternoon, and we plan to take an urban hike, followed by a viewing of The Dark Knight, which he hasn't seen. ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:28:25 pm »
hey Lynne, if you haven't seen "Wolverine"it is out on DVD and I saw copies of it in the Safeway.  I enjoyed it with a rewatch of the X-men series.

And staying warm is NOT a problem today - we have bright sunshine beating down and I am just getting settled in to writing another chapter of "Agents of the Law"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »
Hmm.....tough choice..... but given the choice between superbowl (whatever that is) and schmooperbowl, I think I'll go for the latter. Not that I know what that is either, but somehow it sounds more familiar and friendly.   ;D

No, I didn't know what a wardrobe malfunction is either, but I looked it up...  ;)

I can think of another meaning of it, with a BBM connection. Wardrobe = closet; malfunction = something being used in a wrong way; a closet being used to hide one's homosexuality (a closeted gay) = a wardrobe malfunction!!   ;D

And please don't ask what I've been doing today, lest I get a nervous breakdown.
I'm moving, and it's hellish!! Although today I actually managed to get a little further with it all. Yay me!!   ::)  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
No no no a "wardrobe malfunction"is the term used during the infamous Super Bowl of 2004 to describe what happened when Janet Jackson showed off her nipple jewelry on national television and of course, her nipple at the same time.  I think they also call it "Nipplegate." The network was fined many millions of dollars for that incident.  Nowadays the term "wardrobe malfunction"is in common use as a euphemism for nudity.

"Wardrobe"in this case means a piece of clothing, not the closet it comes from.  A person's "wardrobe"is their collection of clothing.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:04:07 pm »
No no no a "wardrobe malfunction"is the term used during the infamous Super Bowl of 2004 to describe what happened when Janet Jackson showed off her nipple jewelry on national television and of course, her nipple at the same time.  I think they also call it "Nipplegate." The network was fined many millions of dollars for that incident.  Nowadays the term "wardrobe malfunction"is in common use as a euphemism for nudity.

"Wardrobe"in this case means a piece of clothing, not the closet it comes from.  A person's "wardrobe"is their collection of clothing.
I think that´s what Sonja found when she googled it. The BBM reference was a creation of her own, like she wrote.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:28:06 pm »
Louise, like Monika said I created the BBM reference myself. I thought it was a funny "alternative use" of the phrase.

But thanks for the explanation of the origin of the term, that's interesting! (and funny)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:48:02 pm »
I think Justin Timberlake first used the term. He's pretty funny.

A non-football-fan friend in New Orleans has urged me to watch the game, saying it is to New Orleans what the rugby game in Invictus was to South Africa. That made it sound a little more interesting, and certainly heightens the drama of the outcome. But it's not enough to get me to sit there for three solid hours watching the actual playing.

Three other people in my house will be watching it. I'll probably stop in for the final few minutes, as well as for some of those $90,000-per-second commercials.

Otherwise, I'll probably be doing what I do just about every other waking moment of my life: surfing the internet.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
Superbowl? Is that like a great big bowl of dip or fruit?

Seriously, even when I did have cable (and if I ever do re-subscribe) I wouldn't watch Canadian or American football. The only sport I use to watch religiously on TV in the past two decades (other than the Olympics) was bull riding - the PBR variety. When OLN Canada started showing only the Friday night events, I sorta lost interest (the best bulls are kept for the finals - on Saturdays or Sundays).

Today, except for the fact that Bryan's not coming over (as he usually does) will be a pretty regular Sunday for me, with a pleasant mix of Bettermost, CivIV, and episodes of 'The Waltons', 'M*A*S*H', and 'Laura Cadieux' (all on DVD). I've already enjoyed a late lunch of hot (Angus) beef sandwich and I expect I'll be reading a chapter from either 'Harry Potter' (currently re-reading the 3rd book) and / or 'Les Héritiers d'Enquidiev - Renaissance' before the day is out. This book was released just a couple of weeks ago. It's the first of a series, the Next-Generation-like collection of 'Les Chevaliers D'Émeraude'.

Oh & I've also already been out for groceries.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
for those in need of a laugh, here's an 'In Living Color' (dated) explanation of American football.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="
&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Apologies to those who are easily offended.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 05:59:22 pm »
Thanks, Roland, that was hilarious.  I love Blaine and Antoine:  "Two snaps up and your backfield in motion."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:15 pm »
I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, so this will have to be brief. But if some of you are looking for an alternative to the Super Bowl, you could always watch the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet. It's really cute watching the puppies covort and play with each other. And you can watch it anytime throughout the evening. It will be repeating over and over again.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 07:41:09 pm »
There's puppies on the field! Lots and lots of puppies!

Tune into Animal Planet NOW to see them! One of them just went for a "swim" in the water bowl. :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 08:37:20 pm »
Hi, David.  I'm afraid I don't have a choice but to watch the superbowl!  :-\  My mom and sister are huge fans and if I reach for the remote, I'll draw back a nub!  I did convince them to change to the puppy bowl, but they're getting impatient.  I may have to turn back to the SuperBowl at any moment.  Oh no, they're bored by the commerical breaks on APL, and now we're back to watching the Saints and the...who is playing?

My day started off with a sad note.  A beloved neighbor who is 100 years old fell this morning and was taken to the hospital.  I hope she pulls through, as I've known her since I was 6.  After my neighbor was taken to the hospital (I haven't heard about her status yet) my daughter and I went out to breakfast then to a coffee shop to do a bit of reading.  My brother invited me to his Superbowl party, but I won't even go next door to see the Superbowl, much less over 100 miles to Sacramento!  My daughter is now visiting her fiance and I'm at home with my mom and sister, a captive audience.  I'm on line because the game is boring me to tears!  I may lay down and take a nap.  I'm exhausted!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 08:47:41 pm »
My daughter is now visiting her fiance

Your daughter is engaged? Congratulations to her, Marie!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 11:19:22 pm »
for those in need of a laugh, here's an 'In Living Color' (dated) explanation of American football.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="
&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Apologies to those who are easily offended.

That was so much fun! Thank you!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 12:35:01 am »
WHO DAT SAY DEY GON' BEAT DEM SAINTS? WHO DAT? WHO DAT?

NOBODY!!!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:36 am »
A little birdy just whispered in my ear and told me Fritz was happy with the results of the Super Bowl! ;) ;D

Congratulations Fritz!! :-*

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 01:37:32 am »
Thanks, David! Your little birdie was right on!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 02:07:47 am »
Your daughter is engaged? Congratulations to her, Marie!

Thanks, K!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 01:45:11 pm »
Packers?
Steelers?

Which team's gonna make it today?

At what time does it begin?
It's already evening for me, and of course the Super Bowl is absolutely no topic over here. We were at a friend's for a birthday coffee.

I'll cheer for the Steelers because of Amanda. I don't know anyone from WI, I think.

C'mon, someone must be following, it's the Super Bowl!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 02:09:46 pm »
At least we know Jake will be watching!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »
At least we know Jake will be watching!

Whoo-hoo! Amanda, you see this? Jakey's rooting for your team. I'm sure he has the same reason as I do - only for you! ;) :-*

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »
Oh, a memory from loooong ago just hits me. I once had a boyfriend (yes, I had a life before my husband, even if we were only 17 when we fell for each other ;)) who played American Football.
Jeez! I didn't think of him in a hundred years. Back then, I was impressed by the folder with different plays, which the players had to learn by heart. And by the fact, that there was a big monetary penalty to pay if you lost your folder.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 03:04:59 pm »
There are Europeans who play American football? This is news to me!!

I'll root for the Steelers if Amanda and Jake are rooting for them!! I might get stuck watching the Game, because I'm snowed in with a couple of sports-crazed men. I'd prefer to go out and see a movie, such as Undertow, but it may be impossible for my Prius to blaze a trail through the snow. For some reason, the sand trucks are AWOL this weekend.

For now, me, my computer, and my kitty are lazing in front of a roaring fire! It's been a weekend devoted mostly to cooking. I held a birthday party for my mother yesterday. We grilled steaks (yes, outdoors) and had smashed new potatoes, gravy, mushrooms, asparagus, bread, and sticky toffee birthday cake. This morning, I made eggs benedict. It will be time to go to the gym pretty soon!!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »
There even is an European league, but it´s fairly small. I´ve never seen or heard of a game

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 03:24:44 pm »
Well, I'm not a football fan, but I'll be at a superbowl party.

:laugh:

I'm going to hang out with friends and eat good food.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »

They are far and between.
You made me look up the numbers. In Germany, there are 250 clubs for American Football, with 31 000 members. I don't know how many of them are active players. But 31 000 from 82 million people is indeed very few. :laugh:

I also read that in Germany, there's also a Womens' league of American Football!

I'll root for the Steelers if Amanda and Jake are rooting for them!! I might get stuck watching the Game, because I'm snowed in with a couple of sports-crazed men. I'd prefer to go out and see a movie, such as Undertow, but it may be impossible for my Prius to blaze a trail through the snow. For some reason, the sand trucks are AWOL this weekend.

Even if I would like to watch with your sports-crazed men, I wish for you that you'll be able to leave. May the the snow plows come soon! :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »
I'm torn. I feel like I should cheer for the Packers along side our Amanda, but at the same time Green Bay is the underdogs, and I have a tendancy to always root for the less likely team to win. :-\

To tell you the truth, I'll probably be watching the Puppy Bowl more than anything this evening. FYI - the Puppy Bowl starts in about 10 minutes on Animal Planet in case anyone is interested. It's really cute!

Chrissi, I think the Superbowl starts at 6:00 pm (Eastern) which would probably be 11:00 or Midnight over there in Germany.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 05:15:28 pm »

Maybe Chrissi's football-playing boyfriend was American!

Leave the Prius at home, borrow one of the men's trucks, and go see Undertow!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2011, 05:29:50 pm »
Here's a bizarre bet:  http://www.npr.org/2011/02/06/133495044/pittsburgh-bets-a-renoir-on-super-bowl-victory

Pittsburgh Bets A Renoir On Super Bowl Victory

Among the stranger bets being waged on Super Bowl Sunday is whether Fergie will wear shorts during the halftime show. Another bets on the color of the winner's Gatorade dump.

Those bets aren't strictly legal in most states, but there's nothing to stop a few hometown art museums from making a friendly wager.

The Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh has bet a Renoir that the Steelers will win Sunday. The Milwaukee Museum of Art took that bet — and put up a rare Caillebotte in return.

"Our docents were extremely upset," Milwaukee Museum of Art Director Daniel Keegan tells NPR's Linda Wertheimer. "They said, 'How could you possibly think of giving up the Caillebotte?' I said, 'That's the point — we have no intention of giving it up.'"

Should the Steelers lose to the Packers, Milwaukee's prize will be one of Pierre Auguste Renoir's paintings of bathers. Lynn Zelevansky, director of the Carnegie Art Museum, describes Bathers With Crab as "a late Renoir, which is the Renoir that everybody loves — all those lovely pink maidens."

Should the Packers lose, however, the Carnegie Museum gets Gustave Caillebotte's Boating on the Yerres. Either way, the winning city will keep the borrowed painting for just a few months before returning it to the loser. Until then, Keegan says, "We're going to have a great painting from a great museum in Milwaukee."

"We feel exactly the same way," Zelevansky says. "We have a very strong Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection — but we don't have Caillebotte. I'm looking forward to bringing Caillebotte to the museum."

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2011, 06:01:30 pm »
Can't get as excited about the Super Bowl as I did last year, since the Saints aren't in it!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 06:47:38 pm »
^Ugh.  I think the Superbowl bet with art is absolutely mortifying.  It's beyond embarassing IMO.

Anyway, being from Pittsburgh, I'm mostly locking myself in my apartment and waiting for it to be over.  Since I moved here in 2005 the Steelers have won 2 Superbowls already... I kind of can't believe how regularly this comes up.  And a lot of Pittsburghers just go so nuts over it.  It's hard to explain how nutty it can be unless you're here.

I find it depressing, especially given the horrible reputation of the quarterback.  I don't understand the urge to celebrate people like that.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
Well, I can imagine that publicity about the bet might bring some people who had not considered viewing the art before into the respective museums. And thereby awaken something unrealized beforehand.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
I'll be doing the inverse of what I usually do when watching TV. That is, I'll have my son call me in when there's a commercial on, then leave the room for the stuff in between.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 08:52:00 pm »
I'll be doing the inverse of what I usually do when watching TV. That is, I'll have my son call me in when there's a commercial on, then leave the room for the stuff in between.

That was my plan, too, but the commercials so far have been very disappointing. I've counted 3 commercials already where people have thrown a can or a bottle at someone, and many of the others have been violent.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 09:28:43 pm »

It's interesting to think about all of this in relation to Kate Mara and her family (their close ties to the Steelers).  I wonder what she's doing tonight?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 10:05:36 pm »
I agree that that bet with art is not in the best of taste.  Some things just shouldn't be combined.   :P

I grew up near Pittsburgh, and my Dad and brothers were always big fans of the Steelers and Pirates, so they get my support.  I see they're slightly behind at this point.  Come on, boys!  8)

At any rate, I've been in bed most of the day nursing a head cold and sore throat.  >:(  But PBS has given thought to the poor women out here who have no interest in football and put on a marathon of Jane Austen dramas, so I've been very content.  I'm in the last hour of "Emma" now.  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Andrew

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »
Sorry to hear you are not well, Meryl, I hope you get over it quickly!  Those Austen gentlemen can be medicinal though, can't they?  Wouldn't it help to have a Mr Bingley downstairs full of solicitude as he was for his indisposed guest Jane Bennett, or a Captain Benwick to read poetry to you as he did to Louisa Musgrove during her long recovery?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2011, 10:58:23 pm »
Sorry to hear you are not well, Meryl, I hope you get over it quickly!  Those Austen gentlemen can be medicinal though, can't they?  Wouldn't it help to have a Mr Bingley downstairs full of solicitude as he was for his indisposed guest Jane Bennett, or a Captain Benwick to read poetry to you as he did to Louisa Musgrove during her long recovery?

Yes, indeed!  I can tell you are a man of infinite sensibility.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 12:07:52 am »
I second that! Both the wishes for your quick recovery and the wishes for the solicitous amiable gentlemen close by!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 07:11:31 am »
Got a call last night at home after I left the superbowl party early... :laugh:

I won the last part of the pool at the party (cash was given out each quarter), and my take was $45.00 and a trophy.

I didn't even watch the game!   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 10:51:24 am »
I don't know what I'm doing this Sunday evening.  ???

Ordinarily it sure wouldn't be watching the Superbowl, but with both Tom Brady and Eli Manning playing, maybe I ought to reconsider.  ???  That's almost too much hotness for one football game!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 01:14:56 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 01:17:42 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 01:19:41 pm »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 01:32:35 pm »
hey Lynne, if you haven't seen "Wolverine"it is out on DVD and I saw copies of it in the Safeway.  I enjoyed it with a rewatch of the X-men series.

And staying warm is NOT a problem today - we have bright sunshine beating down and I am just getting settled in to writing another chapter of "Agents of the Law"

HOORAY;;;

I cannot wait Louise.

I am a football fan however.  As long as its a team I care about.  I love the Patriots, and Tom Brady, he is a future  hall of fame shoo in.  He is the best thing in this game.  With the possible exception of Drew Brees, of the New Orlean Saints.   If they can hold the line for him, allow him to do his quarterback magic.  They will win by a fair margin.  If however the front line can't contain the other team, then the Giants, will prevail.. Boooo.. lol I don't take it too seriously however, like some do, but yes I do understand the game, and pick the best players, etc. 

My real favorite is the  University of Oregon, Oregon Ducks.  College football, Eugene Ore.

Beautiful mind

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 01:40:26 pm »

Now that is an afternoon worth spending.  Love Jane Austin, in all its incarnations. 

I do love the Puppy bowl.. It will give me the ability to have something else to watch, instead of the bitch who will not be named..  Before you start looking for the tar and feathers, I have never cared for her much.  Lately however she has turned into a world class self obsorbed hateful bitch..  She is not at all appreciative of her lot in life.  She has such an attitude of entitlement, it makes me ill.  She is mean to the people who made her what she is.  To me there is no excuse for that kind of behavior.  Now she is trying to gain sympathy, and whine about how her life is being ruined by OCD disorder.  Waaah, it is no excuse for her behavior.  if she can't act properly to her fans, who does she act properly towards?
   It is no wonder she can't keep a husband.

Beautiful mind

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »
Football, schmootball

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »

Great pics, Paul!

Mr. Brady is first choice, but I sure wouldn't say no to Eli if he asked me very nicely.  ;D

Heck, I wouldn't mind being the filling in a Manning brothers sandwich. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:47 pm »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 06:25:26 pm »
Go Giants!!!!  8) 8)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »

Hear you! ;D

;D

I believe there's something called "The cubic organization", or sumptin', for anti-footballers. Maybe we should join?  :laugh: :laugh:

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 11:15:02 am »
I work a weekend graveyard shift so I'll be working on Sunday evening.  No loss, since I'm not a football fan; I could get interested in the Super Bowl only if Kansas City or Atlanta were in it.

That said, supermarkets have some great sales on that day.  Am planning to stop for a bucket of fried chicken drumsticks to share with my fellow graveyard workers.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 12:56:00 pm »
That said, supermarkets have some great sales on that day.  Am planning to stop for a bucket of fried chicken drumsticks to share with my fellow graveyard workers.

Reminds me. A couple of years ago I went to visit my dad on Superbowl weekend, and came back home a little early on Sunday afternoon. Went to the supermarket to buy my groceries for the week.

Big. Mistake.  :laugh:

Never try to do your ordinary grocery shopping on the afternoon of Superbowl Sunday!  :laugh:

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 03:16:25 pm »
Football, schmootball

Same here, yet again.  Only way I knew something was happening was because of the all the commercials.  I don't follow American football.

I'll probably be at the gym - which will probably be totally empty since all the guys will be at superbowl parties - and go grocery shopping once the game starts.  Then it's pretty empty.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 03:48:23 pm »

Football, schmootball

What's that??   ???   ??

;D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »

What's that??   ???   ??

;D

You live in New York, don't you?

New Yorkers are supposed to be fluent in Yiddish!!   ;D

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 04:10:56 pm »

You live in New York, don't you?

New Yorkers are supposed to be fluent in Yiddish!!   ;D

Yiddish is easy!

But--What's footbal?? Er, ball?

"Camping Out"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2012, 04:14:39 pm »

Yiddish is easy!

But--What's footbal?? Er, ball?

It's a toy.

A round thing, that people try to take from each other and kick around with.

Would make a lot more sense to buy each their own, that way they won't have to fight over it.   ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 07:25:28 pm »

What's that??   ???   ??

;D

What kind of ball do you use to play schmootball?  ;)  ;D

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:04 am »
What kind of ball do you use to play schmootball?  ;)  ;D

A schmootball, obviously.  ::)

;) ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2012, 04:30:25 am »

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2012, 03:01:58 pm »

Volkswagen Commercial
Super Bowl 2011
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55e-uHQna0[/youtube]

The Dog Strikes Back!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9EYFJ4Clo&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

The making of--
starring...Bolt!
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn2vwwWVNPE[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:38 pm »

Here's the official video for the latest Madonna song, "Give Me All Your Lovin'", which features appearance by Nikki Minaj & M.I.A.

I have to say, the first few times I heard it, I wasn't bowled over, but the more I hear it, the more I like it.  I believe this is one of the songs she'll be performing today during the half-time show at the Super Bowl.

Madonna ft. Nikki Minaj & M.I.A. ~ Give Me All Your Lovin'

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cItHOl5LRWg[/youtube]

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2012, 06:45:47 pm »

Super Bowl Ad
David Beckham
Bodywear for H&M 
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQb_-OY7Z0E&feature[/youtube]
::)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2012, 06:53:52 pm »

Super Bowl Ad
Toyota Camry
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIS4CII1yCY&feature[/youtube]
“It also comes in male."

Now that's  funny!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2012, 07:10:51 pm »

Super Bowl Ad
"Matthew's Day Off"
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkDdayA4iA[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2012, 08:41:35 pm »
As I write this, I've had "it" on for about 45 minutes, just to see what all the fuss is about.  ::)

A short while ago I was talking to my dad on the phone, and I said, "Am I watching a football game with TV commercials, or TV commercials with a football game?"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2012, 10:19:22 pm »
Madonna's half-time performance was off the hook!  I want to say about 90% of the comments I've read on FB and other sites have all been positive!

I thought she kicked ass!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2012, 10:43:30 pm »
Funniest Facebook update today, from my friend Rob.

"How lucky for the Giants/Patriats to be Madonna's opening act!"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2012, 10:59:44 pm »

People were yelling over the rooftops a minute ago--did "we" win? (I know nothing, seriously--barely know who the players are.)

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2012, 09:46:15 am »

I guess this one
wasn't included--
I wonder why??
 ;D ;D
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=XjGCP0QT71Q&NR=1[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
Funniest Facebook update today, from my friend Rob.

"How lucky for the Giants/Patriots to be Madonna's opening act!"

:laugh:  :laugh:

People were yelling over the rooftops a minute ago--did "we" win? (I know nothing, seriously--barely know who the players are.)

You probably know this by now, but, yes, the boyishly cute Eli Manning the Giants won.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:28 am »
Downton Abbey was very exciting last night!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:20 am »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T96xzA6iM0&feature=related[/youtube]

"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2012, 08:03:22 pm »

Super Bowl Ad
"Matthew's Day Off"
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkDdayA4iA[/youtube]

Love it!   ;D

Was that SJP's voice saying "Matthew you sound so sick!" while he's in the car?!?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2012, 08:36:25 pm »

Do you think the guy is really Patrick, or not?  I wonder why he left?  (And the plot thickens.  --Surely the other guy didn't kill her, even
if that is what they want you to believe..?)  Not that she didn't deserve it.

Beautiful mind

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2013, 11:46:26 am »
It's here again.  Schmooperbowl Sunday.

I'm going to hear a recital with Renee Fleming and Susan Graham.  

Later, it's the new episode of Downton Abbey!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNxJRxIdjk[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0x8h_R6F4Q[/youtube]

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:52 pm »
Puppybowl, Superbowl - I'm going to do the same as every year: sleep! :laugh:
But if I were in the US, you bet I'd watch it! I like watching sports, and big sports events even more. :)

Meanwhile the Superbowl even gets aired live on German TV, so I could theoretically watch it. But my alarm clock will go off by 5:47AM tomorrow morning, so I'll pass.
Nevertheless: Go Ravens!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:27 pm »
unfortunately, I can't find any figure skating on TV.

I'll probably surf the 'net.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2013, 02:01:15 pm »
I'm going to go buy a DVD as a gift for a friend, then go work out, then come home and clean up the last of my Xmas decorations and put them away.

I also have a project to dye two pairs of shoes a different color today while the weather is warmish.

Once I finish netsurfing though.

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
Even though I said no to the sports channels I can see Super Bowl tonight, starts 11 PM - but I won't. I've been seeing my mom, planning a little for her 90th birthday in March. Made dinner, saw a film with that guy once married to Katie Holm..... Tom Whatshisname. Now hubby is sorting out old, already paid bills and I'm spending time here. Like Chrissi said, alarmclock start our day early so no football from the US tonight.
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2013, 06:27:39 pm »
Wow, what a recital!  An all-French program, 19th century.  "Two divas, four dresses!"  Gorgeous stuff by Saint-Saens, Debussy, Ravel, Berlioz, Offenbach.  They mostly sang together, each with a turn at some solo songs.  They clearly like each other and their voices fit so well together.  A few funny moments:  "We'll be done before the pre-game show is over." And, "We sang every note live!"

Goosebump moment:  "The Flower Duet" from Lakme.  Someone must have recorded this from the Carnegie Hall concert a few weeks ago. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htT3nZdkyNA[/youtube]

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2013, 11:20:03 pm »
I'm watching the super cute Puppy Bowl now, only because SF is losing, and I'm not really a football fan. But who knows, the 49ers may work it out!  We went to church earlier and headed out to eat lunch.  By 3:00 the streets, shops, eateries were deserted; it seems Bay Area folk (well, certainly not just Bay Area folk, I'm sure) were somewhere preparing to watch the big game.  Right now I'll turn off the puppies and drive a few blocks over to MickieDs for a snack -- lunch is gone and I'm my stomach is rumbling!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2013, 02:06:49 am »
Wow, what a recital!  An all-French program, 19th century.  "Two divas, four dresses!"  Gorgeous stuff by Saint-Saens, Debussy, Ravel, Berlioz, Offenbach.  They mostly sang together, each with a turn at some solo songs.  They clearly like each other and their voices fit so well together.  A few funny moments:  "We'll be done before the pre-game show is over." And, "We sang every note live!"

Goosebump moment:  "The Flower Duet" from Lakme.  Someone must have recorded this from the Carnegie Hall concert a few weeks ago. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htT3nZdkyNA[/youtube]

Sounds like a super (bowl) of a concert, Paul!  Thanks for sharing that.  8)

I can't believe they had a blackout at the big game.  I only know what I read on Facebook, but WTF?  ::) ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2013, 09:43:24 am »
I ended up watching "True Crime" stuff on the Biograhpy channel.

The last thing  watched was an hour long show on Ed Gein.  LOL

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2013, 09:45:19 am »
I can't believe they had a blackout at the big game.  I only know what I read on Facebook, but WTF?  ::) ;D

One of the best comments that I saw posted was someone who had told people that the 49ers would lose because of their anti-gay comments, and the fact they pissed off the gay community.

After the power went out, this was posted:

"Like I said in my post, you can't piss off the gays. They'll put some serious juju on you. Hahaha!"

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:16 am »
"Like I said in my post, you can't piss off the gays. They'll put some serious juju on you. Hahaha!"

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Turner Classics had a good line-up last evening, with two actors in the roles they were born to play. First was Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russel in the title role, and then came The Music Man with Robert Preston as Prof. Harold Hill.

Offline oilgun

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2013, 01:28:18 am »
Online porn, my friend.