Author Topic: PHILIPPE JAROUSSKY  (Read 18352 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
PHILIPPE JAROUSSKY
« on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:34 am »
PHILIPPE JAROUSSKY

“The tone of an angel and the virtuosity of the devil”

Philippe Jaroussky

French countertenor superstar, Philippe Jaroussky, will be visiting Sydney later this month, and this morning I was excited to secure my tickets. He will be performing with the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra at Sydney’s beautiful City Recital Hall in Angel Place.

Why am I so excited? It might be easier to let Monsieur Jaroussky answer that question for me. Here he is singing Vivaldi’s exquisite aria “Vedro con mio diletto.” 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX83BSR0mug[/youtube]

Phew! I’m suddenly feeling all hot and bothered! I can quite understand why ladies in the 18th century used to swoon and faint when such singers as the famous castrato, Farinelli, performed:

[youtube=425,350] 
PL&index=24     [/youtube]

Quick, someone hand me the smelling salts!

Philippe Jaroussky, who has been described as a remarkable vocal athlete with “the tone of an angel and the virtuosity of the devil” (La Terrasse), will open the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra’s 2010 season in spectacular fashion with Vivaldi’s Olympian inspired music, accompanied by the 2009 ARIA Award winning orchestra on period instruments.

Australian Brandenburg Orchestra

From the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra’s website:

“Likened to the great castrati of the 18th century, Jaroussky will have audiences soaring on a voice of ‘startling beauty,’ as he performs exquisite Handel and Vivaldi arias.

“When Artistic Director, Paul Dyer, first invited France’s Opera Singer of the Year to Australia, this formidable countertenor drew sell-out crowds and rave reviews.

“Now Jaroussky returns to the Brandenburg stage, to launch their 2010 subscription series, in a night of crystal notes and breathtaking brilliance!”

My seats are for Philippe’s final performance in Sydney, on the evening of Saturday 27 February. My friend, George, is also a fan and I bought the tickets as a 60th birthday gift for him. Can’t wait!

City Recital Hall
Angel Place
Sydney

City Recital Hall

City Recital Hall
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: PHILIPPE JAROUSSKY
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 02:12:26 am »

Phew! I’m suddenly feeling all hot and bothered!

No doubt! I can't blame you Kerry! How wonderful! And I LOOOOVE Vivaldi!

Have a lot of fun sweetie!

Maybe someday he will come to Indianapolis! Probably not though....
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 02:26:23 am »
- Jaroussky is indeed quite a talent.

- What made castrati so popular musically in their time is a bit of a mystery to us in modern times. We know that they often sang the hero roles. Their voices were considered the height (no pun intended) of artistic expression of youth and beauty, in a time when neo-classicism was wildly popular.

- As depicted in the movie Farinelli, castrati were safe boy-toys for aristocratic women because they could produce no babies. That's certain to have had a positive affect on their popularity.

- While we really don't know exactly what castrati sounded like (we have only some recordings of Moreschi), we do know that modern-day counter-tenors have very different physiology. While counter-tenors have the vocal range of the castrati, it is quite likely that the tone quality is different. Many of today's counter-tenors are baritones with well-trained falsettos.  
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 03:34:43 am »
This vid shows what Jaroussky can REALLY do!!

I'd like to see him in an actual production.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ifquyvCEo[/youtube]
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 08:26:51 am »
No doubt! I can't blame you Kerry! How wonderful! And I LOOOOVE Vivaldi!

Have a lot of fun sweetie!

Maybe someday he will come to Indianapolis! Probably not though....

I too love Vivaldi, David. I thought of you whilst watching the above clip of the Vivaldi aria "Vedro con mio diletto." There's a young violinist with a shaggy mop of blond hair in the orchestra. He reminded me of you. I remembered that you once said you played the violin and that you loved Vivaldi.  

Here's what Philippe will be performing in Sydney:

Torelli: Sinfonia a 4 in C Major for 4 trumpets, G 33
Vivaldi: Aria Mentre dormi amor fomenti from L'Olimpiade, RV 725
Vivaldi: Aria Gemo in un punto e fremo from L'Olimpiade, RV 725
Handel: Concerto Grosso Op 6 No 7, HWV 325
Handel: Recit & Aria Dove sei? from Rodelinda, HWV 19
Handel: Aria Vivi tiranno from Rodelinda, HWV 19
Veracini: First movement from Concerto a otto in D Major (1712)
Handel: Recit & Aria Scherza Infida from Ariodante, HWV 33
Vivaldi: Concerto ripieno in A Major, RV 158
Vivaldi: Aria Vedro con mio diletto from Il Giustino, RV 717
Handel: Battaglia from Rinaldo, HWV 7
Handel: Aria Or la tromba from Rinaldo, HWV 7
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:18 am »

I'd like to see him in an actual production.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPcZCOWX01A&feature=related[/youtube]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 02:18:16 am »

Advertisement from this week's edition of my local community newspaper, The Inner West Courier:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:48:16 am »

Last night George and I went to see Philippe Jaroussky in concert with the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra.

Suffice to say I'm still on an amazing high. I have no words to describe the beauty, and power, of his voice, which filled the City Recital Hall - no microphone necessary.

I experienced a very emotional response. I almost found myself in tears on more than one occasion and I suspect I wasn't the only one. His voice is sublime.

There were several encores and standing ovations at the end with many heartfelt shouts of Bravo, the loudest of which I suspect came from my very appreciative friend, George.

A sparkling evening I'll not soon forget.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCrbTBEeiyQ[/youtube]

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:17:11 am »
Angelic Presence

The Sun-Herald, Sydney, Australia

7 February 2010

http://www.brandenburg.com.au/2010/angelicpresence

Steve Dow meets the Frenchman who has put the substance back into singing castrati.

At a recent concert in Paris, the countertenor Philippe Jaroussky was introduced as “Le divin, angelique Philippe” to the crowd’s scream of approval. Considering his coiffed hair, rosebud lips and choirboy countenance alone, the description is apt, but the ethereal voice, that’s on loan from the heavens.

Somewhere along the line, Jaroussky’s devilishly virtuostic range from sotto voce to soaring “up by the ozone layer at the speed of sound”, as one critic put it, became sexy. The 31-year-old’s newest album, La Dolce Fiamma, a collection of “forgotten” 18th century arias for castrato voice penned by JC Bach has gone gold in France, while Jaroussky is also big in Japan.

His record company EMI/Virgin Classics has given him the full pop poster boy styling worldwide, “which would hardly be sensational in today’s image-savvy classical arena were Jaroussky a hot tenor,” noted a profile on the star late last year in London’s The Times. “But he’s not. He’s a countertenor; crassly put, a man who sings like a woman.”

Fresh from his New York recital debut and preparing for concert appearances with the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra in Sydney and Melbourne, Jaroussky says on the phone from Boston in his everyday masculine, charmingly French-accented English that he has mixed feelings about the focus on his handsome looks. “Of course, if you want to do a CD cover you want to be good looking,” he laughs.

“I don’t want to just go out of my bed to take some pictures, you know! What is very difficult is to control your image because … people react differently to the pictures. Of course, I’m marketed, but it’s amazing sometimes people criticise this but they won’t criticise the marketing of pop music, for example.”

Plus ça change: the baroque era’s great castrati such as Farinelli and Sensino – eunuch singers castrated before adolescence to maintain their high voices – were the pop superstars of their time “like Madonna and Bono”, says Sydney-based Australian Brandenburg Orchestra artistic director Paul Dyer; “they were celebrities with mass appeal whose voices and personalities entertained and fascinated their generation”.

But not even the Material Girl and the U2 frontman were billed as a “YouTube hit” with more than one million views for a 2007 Vivaldi aria performance. Jaroussky insists he has found the right balance between marketing and musical quality. “I am totally free about what I am recording. I’m not obliged to sing famous arias – I’m choosing to sing what I want to sing.”

Last year Jaroussky decided to take matters higher: every day for months, he practiced singing JC Bach’s neglected arias written for the castrati, testing his highest reach as a countertenor, before finally recording them. The castrati “were like super-singers and had quite superhuman capacities,” he marvels. “It was the most difficult CD to record; there are so many long phrases” – especially in the 13-minute title track, penned in 1765 – “but I like this type of challenge.”

The French audiences’ ecstasy over Jaroussky is accompanied by their common confusion of countertenor with castrato, wrote English countertenor James Bowman in Britain’s The Guardian in November; the French tend to classify the two together as “les voix blanches” or the white voices, he says. Jaroussky’s vaulting ambition on his latest CD will no doubt further blur the distinction, even though, as Bowman points out, countertenors sing in the falsetto range, “where our voice feel most relaxed”.

There’s a certain historical irony to this current rhapsodic Gaelic conflation of countertenors and castrati, Bowman reminds us: “It was the French who disliked the castrato voice so much that [the Bavarian-born, Paris-based composer] Gluck was obliged to rewrite the role of Orfeo for a tenor for his opera’s 1774 French premiere,” he says. “Apparently, this was at Marie Antoinette’s instigation – she knew in its original form, with a castrato, it would have been booed off the stage.” So the times have changed to suit Jaroussky.

Its been written that Jaroussky sings high because of his history playing high notes on a violin as a teenager – as though he is aiming to use his voice to imitate the instrument – or more generally that countertenors are trying to emulate female voices.

Jaroussky however observes countertenors tend to be boyish in the way they relate to the world, and he may have subconsciously chosen the high register “because I wanted to stay a child – maybe when I am singing in concert it’s a way to keep contact with my childhood, with something pure”.

Philippe Jaroussky lives in central Paris today but was born in February 1978 to a middle class family in Maisons-Laffitte, a housing development built around a 17th century chateau about 18 kilometres north-west of the city centre.

His father Daniel is a commercial agent and his mother Jacqueline worked on lighting design, while his brother Didier, who is 10 years older, sells computers. None of the family were musical, nor did they have a special interest in attending concerts, although Jacqueline adored Maria Callas’s records. As a child, Philippe would draw and paint copies of Picasso and Van Gogh masterpieces. His parents thought he would become a painter.

French children take an hour’s music lesson in school a week and at 11 Philippe took up the violin, followed at age 15 by piano. He says he was a good musician, though various adults around him told him he had started playing at too late an age to be great.

“I was quite unhappy with instruments because everybody was saying to me all the time I was too old, you know?” he says. “Finally when I started to sing everybody was saying to me, ‘Oh, you’re very young’.”

Everyone seems to be a critic in France, but it never stymied Jaroussky’s ambition. One day at age 18 he happened upon a baroque concert at a church, where the Martinique-born countertenor Fabrice di Falco, then aged 22, was performing various arias.

Jaroussky was struck by the discrepancy between how di Falco looked physically and the clarity of his singing. “That was a shock to hear the beauty of the voice and the music,” he says. “I could see myself in his place. I thought, ‘My God, I want to do this with my life. I want to sing like this’.” Jaroussky opted to suspend his general baccalaureate studies to study music instead.

Daniel and Jacqueline were fully supportive. “I really believe if a child wants to do something, parents should encourage their children and not frustrate them,” says Jaroussky, glad for his years earning a diploma at the Conservatoire de Paris. “My parents understood quickly that if I couldn’t try to do music I wouldn’t be happy.”

By 20 he was giving concerts, but it would take several years before he would become comfortable – his voice was too small initially, his technique was lacking, and only the maturity the years would bring would allow him to effectively communicate emotion to an audience. “It’s a problem for so many singers – when you start to sing on stage you think you have so many things to prove, no? “It takes years to realise people aren’t going to concerts to hear artists who want to prove something.”

On stage, not hiding behind an instrument, he felt “completely naked” and had to learn to relax. Having made more than 20 recordings either solo, with his own ensemble Artaserse or with Ensemble Matheus – conducted by French violinist Jean-Christophe Spinosi – Jaroussky received the 2007 best French lyrical artist prize, and in 2008 the Germans awarded him an ECHO Klassik award for best singer.

Remarkably little of his personal life has been reported, inevitably leading to speculation in the blogosphere and fan sites, such as that Spinosi is also his life partner.

“Absolutely not!’ laughs Jaroussky. “I saw this written somewhere and I thought, ‘my God, it’s so crazy’. Jean-Christoph is the father of six children. “I think people thought this because of course we have a huge complicity musically and we did so many concerts together. We grew up together, because when we started to collaborate he was not so famous and me too.”

As YouTube subscriber “GrlLeastLikelyTo” asks in one of 1180 comments under Jaroussky’s aforementioned video: “Indeed, how is it that some people listen to that voice and their only thought is, ‘is he gay?’”

Point taken, but actually, Jaroussky does have a male partner, who is “not in music but he’s supporting me of course, a lot”. While Jaroussky is riding the crest of classic crossover fame right now, how long can one stay a countertenor?

The artist, who during February will share the stage in Paris with another famous countertenor, Andreas Scholl, in concert performances of Handel’s Julius Caesar with Les Arts Florriants, is unsure.

“I can live without singing, but I can’t live without music,” he says. “I’ve seen some older singers who find it very difficult to stop, and I understand that because you have dedicated your life to it.” He’d like to give master classes to other singers and continue conducting ensembles. “I don’t imagine me singing at 60 years old.”

He’s recently shown his love of singing the songs of French composers in French on his previous 2009 album, Opium – to a decidedly mixed reaction from some fans who’d prefer he stick with baroque – and in 2012 will create the role of the Italian artist Carvaggio in a contemporary opera by Suzanne Giraud. Jaroussky likes to “live a normal life” as a young 30-something, hanging out with his friends in Paris – in as far as that is possible for a national star – and visits art galleries wherever he travels, recently taking in the Velazquez exhibition at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art.

One day, when he gets time, he might take up painting again. “This year I started to play the violin again and it was a disaster,” he laughs. When he performs in Sydney and Melbourne with the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra – with whom he first performed in 2007 – Jaroussky will sing some arias of Handel and Vivaldi, which is “so strong, such direct music”.

He recently gave an interview in French to the newspaper L’Express in which he seemed to say he was “obsessed” with his own death and that singing helps him find answers to this anxiety. Is this a fair translation? “Not obsessed in the sense that I’m always thinking about it,” he says. “But when you are travelling you think about these things.

“I like very much to do CDs because I know the CD will survive me. I think you become an artist because you want to fight with your own death, you know? Of course that’s impossible, but it’s not something sad. “I think it’s a very optimistic energy … you can really enjoy each moment, you know?”
γνῶθι σεαυτόν