Author Topic: 10 riskiest foods  (Read 9050 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: 10 riskiest foods
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 02:07:12 pm »
Ice cream? I don't understand that one. All of the others make sense. But with ice cream, is it the dairy content, in which case why wouldn't milk precede it on the list? It doesn't seem especially prone to pesticides, and you'd think the freezing part would kill or at least suppress any dangerous germs. So ...?

I don't get you, Center for Science in the Public Interest Del Mar. Though I know that group does like to get attention by revealing counterintuitive warnings against presumed healthy foods like Chinese food and popcorn.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »
Ice cream? I don't understand that one. All of the others make sense. But with ice cream, is it the dairy content, in which case why wouldn't milk precede it on the list? It doesn't seem especially prone to pesticides, and you'd think the freezing part would kill or at least suppress any dangerous germs. So ...?

I don't recall that I've ever read the label on store-bought ice cream, but when I was a kid and we used to make home-made ice cream, most of the recipes called for eggs. Could it be the danger from Salmonella in eggs in ice cream?

I don't know. I'm just thinkin' out loud, here.

Edit to Add:

Or maybe it has something to do with ice cream that doesn't remain frozen completely solid before it's consumed? I'm sure I've heard or read somewhere that there is some concern about ice cream that thaws a bit--without completely melting--and then refreezes.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »
And if that isn't shocking enough, do you know that at least 60% of all serial killers eat bread?    ;)

Really?  Are there any statistics for those who put peanut butter on their bread?

*hides body under bed*

No particular reason.....just asking.   ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!