Author Topic: Severe winter-gale in Germany (and Europe?)  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Severe winter-gale in Germany (and Europe?)
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:18:51 am »
It is downright scary outside. :o

The sky is boneless blue, sun is shining and it's spring-like balmy. Would be a beautiful spring day, if it weren't for the gale-force winds!

This is the severve waether alert map for my federal country:

I live in the lower of the two violet regions. In this map, violet is the highest alert level.

Husband and two of the kids were walking the dog earlier today. It was already stormy then, but not as severe as it is now. I wouldn't let them out now. On the radio there are announcements of power losses and traffic difficulties (overthrown trees, etc.)
Radio is also airing warnings to not go outside, if you can avoid it: don't drive with the car, don't go for walks and by all means stay clear of forests and driving along streets leading through forests.

My oldest daughter is away for the weekend with a youth group and should return today. She called an hour ago, saying they can't leave their accomodation because the bus was banned from driving in this storm. Too risky.
I have no idea when and how she will come back. Hubby said if everything else fails, he'd drive there and pick her and some friends up. But I rather have the whole group stay there until tomorrow if it doesn't get better.

I didn't even dare to smoke outside (in my garden). I sprinted into the baking house. While sitting there, I could hear falling tiles from roofs in the neighbourhood, maybe even from one of our own buildings. I didn't go to look.

I know the storm came from southern Europe, has been over Spain and Portugal. How about my fellow Euro-Brokies? Any of you affected by it?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Severe winter-gale in Germany (and Europe?)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52:21 am »
OMG...stay under cover, you Penthesileans!!
 :o
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:26:32 am »
OMG...stay under cover, you Penthesileans!!
 :o

We will!

My daughter just called, they're staying another night at the youth hostel and will return tomorrow. Good.
I'm glad they don't take any risk. They're safe where they are now.
She will miss school tomorrow, but I don't care.

Meanwhile, we found a tile from our roof on the sidewalk, but didn't see where it comes from. Also found a small piece of wood, which must be from our house (I can tell by the paint on it), and we have no idea where it is from.

At my neighbours barn there is a hole in the roof by now. Approx 10 tiles went down and left a gaping hole. :o

I've heard police/fire department sirens a few times today.

Jens (my husband) just said all roofers will celebrate today and all insurance agents will book a spontaneous trip for the next week :laugh:.

Seriously: I hope no one gets hurt. This IS scary.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:51:39 am »
Yesterday the storm was in France/Portugal/Spain :(.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8540762.stm

Deadly storms lash Spain, Portugal and France

The French village of Ver-sur-Mer feels the force of the gales

At least 16 people have been killed in storms that have lashed parts of Spain, Portugal and France.

Winds of up to 140km/h (87mph) caused chaos as they moved from Portugal up through the Bay of Biscay.

Twelve people have died in France and three in Spain as well as a 10-year-old boy in Portugal.

The storm is expected to track north-eastwards during the course of Sunday, reaching Denmark by the evening, French meteorological authorities said.

Falling trees

The storm system, which has been called Xynthia, has put five of the 95 French departments on red alert - only the second such warning since the new emergency system was introduced in 2001.

Hundreds of thousands of homes in west and south-west France have lost electricity while a number of French coastal villages were flooded.

Some people had taken to their roofs in the Vendee region, one policeman told the Agence France-Presse news agency by telephone.

Police helicopters were in action attempting to locate and rescue people marooned on their roofs.

Most of the French fatalities were caused by drowning, but some were killed by flying debris, according to AFP.

A tree claimed the lives of two Spanish men when their vehicle was hit and a Spanish woman aged 82 was killed by a falling wall in Galicia.

The Portuguese boy was also killed by a tree.

Rail services were severely affected in northern Spain, and a major road crossing between France and Spain was closed to heavy goods vehicles.

Air France said that 70 of its flights were cancelled from Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris.

According to a report on Europe 1 radio, wind speeds hit 175km/h at the top of the Eiffel Tower in the French capital.

Spain's Canary Islands, particularly La Palma, Gran Canaria and Tenerife, were hit by the storm, although there was no great damage.

The above ongoings are from yesterday. What I read from today in south-west Germany:

- All railway traffic in my and two neighbouring federal countries has been cancelled. I have never heard of this before. :o

- Two major Autobahnen (interstates) also have been closed completely. (the Germans, you know, those car-crazy freaks with no speed-limit, are closing their sacred Autobahn? - Now it must be serious.)

- Major delays at airports. But seemingly they're still open. There is no big airport in my federal country, so I guess the next international airports have somewhat less stormy conditions.

- One man in Baden-Württemberg was killed when a tree hit his car

- A woman in Landau (next town for me) was seriously hurt when she tried to close a big, iron gate. The gate came loose and fell upon her.

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:54:03 am »
Omgd, hope its getting better soon!!  :-*

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:52:00 pm »
Wow, when even the trains have to be stopped, that's really a storm!  I hope it's over soon and people are wise enough to sit tight.  Glad to hear your daughter's out of danger, Chrissi.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:01:06 pm »
wow, Chrissi, keep safe.

No sign of those storms here.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »
Thank you all for your wishes and thoughts. :-*

I think/hope we have the worst behind us in my region. Since an hour or so, the wind has become less strong. There's still a storm going on out there, but not as bad anymore. Hope it will continue to get less and less.

The severe weather is moving northward; North Rhein-Westphalia is about to be hit strongly, then the storm is predicted to move even further north.

Can't wait to get my daughter back tomorrow. Strange, eh? At no point I was seriously worried about her because I knew her group was still at the youth hostel. And I was relieved to hear they're staying for another night, and not trying to get home. But still, there's a nagging little voice inside my head which will only be stilled when I have her back. Mother hen ::).

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 05:30:08 pm »

Yes, that was a bad storm. Sad.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo152x23.gif

Storms in France Kill at Least 45
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: February 28, 2010

Filed at 2:25 p.m. ET

Firefighters evacuated inhabitants of L’Aguillon sur Mer in the department of Vendée, in France, on
Sunday.

PARIS (AP) -- A violent late winter storm with fierce rain and hurricane-strength winds ripped across western Europe on Sunday, battering France and four other countries, leaving at least 51 people dead.

The storm, named Xynthia, was the worst in France since 1999 when 90 people died. Prime Minister Francois Fillon held an emergency cabinet meeting and afterward called the storm a ''national catastrophe.''

Many of the at least 45 victims in France drowned, while others died when hit by parts of buildings or trees and branches that were ripped off by the wind. At least a dozen people were missing Sunday and 59 others were injured.

Three people died in Spain, one was killed in Germany and a child was crushed to death in Portugal. The storm also hit Belgium, with one death reported there. Although Britain was not hit, London's Thames Barrier -- the capital's flood defense -- was closed Sunday morning as a precaution.

Nearly 900,000 people in France were without electricity. Rivers overflowed their banks in Brittany, while high tides and enormous waves swamped Atlantic Ocean communities in the early morning hours.

Sea walls broke in the town of L'Aguillon, where the ocean waters reached the roofs of some homes. Helicopters lifted people to safety throughout the day.

A retired couple who had parked their camping car on the waterfront in the town Moutier-en-Retz died when the vehicle was swallowed by rushing waters and they could not make it to firm ground.

The threat of avalanches was high in the Pyrenees Mountains and the southern Alps due to wind and wet snow. Roofs were ripped off, chimneys collapsed and the wind shattered the windows at a brewery in eastern France.

In Paris, winds knocked over motorcycles and spewed garbage around the streets of the capital. Flights were delayed and at least 100 were canceled at the two main Paris airports. A number of trains throughout France were delayed because of flooded tracks.

Winds reached about 130 mph (200 kph) on the summits of the Pyrenees and up to nearly 100 mph (160 kph) along the Atlantic Coast. The storm hit the Vendee and Charente-Maritime regions in southwestern France hardest, flooding coastal islands and tossing boats around in ports.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux planned to visit the worst hit regions Monday. The finance minister announced an easing of taxes for those affected for 2010.

The storm was moving eastward and parts of France along the border with Germany and Belgium were on alert for heavy rain and high winds.

Officials say scores of flights and trains have been canceled or delayed in southwestern Germany. One person was killed in the Black Forest area when winds brought a tree down onto his car in the Sunday afternoon storm.

Fallen trees also closed many stretches of train tracks in the states of Rhineland-Palatinate, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia and Saarland.

High winds caused the cancellation of 119 flights from Frankfurt airport while scores of others were delayed or diverted.

Xynthia hit Belgium in mid-afternoon. One man was killed by a falling tree in his garden in Jodoigne, southern Belgium, broadcaster VRT reported. High winds also brought down some electricity lines, leaving many without power in the south of the country.

In Spain, the interior minister said three people were killed by hurricane-strength winds and heavy rainfall that lashed the country's northern regions over the weekend. Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said the storm had been intense in certain regions and had caused the deaths of a woman in northwestern Ourense and of two people whose car was hit by a falling tree in Arlanzon just north of Madrid.

The national weather agency had warned that a violent cyclone depression had formed over the Atlantic Ocean and was to cross areas bordering the Bay of Biscay.

Winds gusting up to 118 mph (190 kph) had blown over the Canary Islands overnight Friday causing a crane to collapse on a building, lampposts to fall onto parked cars and forcing flight cancellations.

Portugal's home affairs minister Rui Pereira said a child had been killed Saturday by a falling tree in Paredes. The 10-year-old had been playing ball near a church while waiting to go to a prayer meeting when a branch crushed him, Pereira said.

------

AP correspondents Harold Heckle in Madrid, Aoife White in Brussels, Pierre-Baptiste Vanzini in Nantes, France, and David Stringer in London contributed to this report.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »
Yes its true it will hit the Scandinavian country's the next coming days. But the storm will be a bit less, thank god for that.  But unfortunately it will bring a lot more snow. I been up on mums roof and shuffle snow for several days now, and more is on its way. So far its 1,3 M high on the ground.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 06:11:06 pm »
God, Chrissi! Stay safe! :-*

That is VERY scary! I'm glad you and your family are safe! Hopefully the storm will leave your area soon and quickly die down. This really sounds awful!

We get lots of big wind storms where I live (including tornadoes) so I know how scary it can be. Take care sweetie!

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:21:15 am »
The storm is over.

It's the next morning and it's still a little windy, but that's it.
My daughter called, they'll be arriving at the train station of a neighbouring village between noon and 1PM. I'll go and pick up a car full of girls. Good thing I have a big car with seven seats. And a good friend who is always there when I need her, Kerstin. I told Oliver to go to her house after school because I won't be at home.

When I called my daughter's school this morning, to excuse her for today, the secretary laughed heartily as soon as I told her my name. She already knew that a bunch of girls got stuck at the youth hostel yesterday.

I'm thankful that nothing bad happened to us and our property.
Other people were not so lucky.

One person died in Portugal due to the storm.
Three in Spain.
Forty-five in France.
Four in Germany.

Nobody knows yet how big the damages on property are. Trains are running again on most routes, but some are still blocked due to damage.
I'll post an article and some pictures later.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:45:06 am »
Peace, be still!

I'm glad you are okay Chrissi! :-*

I'm sorry to hear about so much loss of life in Germany and other countries though. Let's hope it dies down further before it reeks anymore chaos and destruction.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 03:52:33 am »
Thank you David :-*.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 05:50:16 am »
Chrissi, I only just spotted this thread.  Yikes.  I'm glad you are all okay.