Author Topic: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?  (Read 11447 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:59:35 am »
I started this after a little discussion on another thread, where one of our users said she had gone to see Annie Proulx....and Annie said she is "trying to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain now".....

Firstly, I cannot understand anyone wanting to distance themselves from such a beautiful story, and secondly, i believe, that if it wasnt for Brokeback, she would not be as popular a personality, as she has become....

So I would like to know, who heard of her before Brokeback, and who is still a fan of hers for any other works.....so the question is....

Are you a fan of Annie Proulx only because she wrote Brokeback Mountain?

1.Yes

2.No

3.Became a fan after reading Brokeback, but like her other works as well

4.Became a fan, before she wrote Brokeback
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

Re: Who knew of or was a fan of, Annie Proulx?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 09:02:18 am »
I'm bloody useless.....i dont think i set that poll up properly, cause I dont know how to.....can someone fix it for me......please....

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 10:08:46 am »
Okay, I will be glad to set this up for you...
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:11:30 am »
This is Katie77's poll. Katie, you just need to select "Create New Poll" rather than "Create New Topic." Take it away, Katie!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Who is a fan of Annie Proulx?
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:21:02 am »
I read one of her earliest works, Postcards, while recovering from surgery back in 1996. It is a haunting book, and quite depressing, since it is all about a farm family during the Depression. I was strangely hooked by her ultra-realistic way of portraying rural people, almost as if she was daring you to read the whole book. If I hadn't been stuck in bed, I probably wouldn't have finished it. But I'm so glad I did. I loved the two characters Loyal Blood, the protagonist, and his mother. And I can see the parallels to BBM.

I haven't finished The Shipping News, but I have read other short stories of Proulx's and of course I read BBM when it first came out in The New Yorker.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
thanks mate, I really appreciate your help.....

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 10:40:35 am »
I took the liberty of merging the two Annie Proulx poll threads so all of the related thoughts will be together...hope that's OK??

I was introduced to Annie Proulx when a friend loaned me The Shipping News, which I liked quite a lot.  I tried to read Postcards, with the intention of participating in an on-line book club over at Dave Cullen, but I just couldn't get all the way through that one.  You're right, Lee, that there are parallels to "Brokeback Mountain" to be found there, however.  Maybe I can try it again at some point.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:43:29 am »
Just in case you dont read the thread that i mucked up, i just wanted to say why i wanted to do this poll....

I was reading another thread, where one of our users went to see a personal appearance of Annie Proulx, and when Brokeback Mountain was mentioned to Annie, she said "that she would like to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain"......

I am really peeved by that, because I think she is probably only as popular as she is today because of Brokeback, and the publicity that came with the movie, and I think she should be still prepared to talk about it, especially to Brokies who go to her appearances.....

I just wanted to get some idea, how others on here felt, and whether they only heard of Annie because of Brokeback, and whether they are fans of hers or any of her other works....

moremojo

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:46:41 am »
I had to choose the first option, for the simple fact that I have yet to read anything else by Annie! (I bow my head in shame). I even have a copy of Close Range: Wyoming Stories that a friend generously gave me, but everytime I pick it up I end up rereading 'Brokeback Mountain'! One of these days, surely...

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48:00 am »
I took the liberty of merging the two Annie Proulx poll threads so all of the related thoughts will be together...hope that's OK??

-Lynne

Gees, I cant seem to get anything right tonight....thanks Lynne, if i had know how to merge threads (dont tell me, im sure i wont absorb it now, its after midnight here in australia)...i wouldnt have written the thread under this one....

So far it looks like i am going to be out-voted...maybe cause I'm down here in Aussie that I hadnt heard of her before....

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:52:52 am »
I was reading another thread, where one of our users went to see a personal appearance of Annie Proulx, and when Brokeback Mountain was mentioned to Annie, she said "that she would like to distance herself from Brokeback Mountain"......

Katie,

Can you post a link to where Annie said this?  I can see that she might want to move on in the sense of writing new things.  And from what I understand, she is private and a bit shy, so the fame and notoriety that came along with Brokeback may make her uncomfortable.  The idea of 'distancing' herself, though, sounds a bit unappreciative, so I'd like to read the whole piece to see it in context.

-Lynne

P.S.  The 'merge' option is a moderator-only function, so you didn't do anything wrong!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 11:30:26 am »
Lynne, I was quoting from a thread which is in the same forum as this one, I met Annie Proulx tonight 9/12/06

Maybe you can ask more about it there......

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 12:27:01 pm »
I had not read anything by Annie Proulx before "Brokeback Mountain".  I have yet to read any of her novels and have so far just stuck with her short stories which I really enjoy.  I've read "Bad Dirt 2" and "Close Range" and thought both were a very unique compilation of stories.

As for distancing herself ... I don't know????  Perhaps what she said is not what she intended to say.  Or maybe she really is willing to pickup and never look back, I can't see how ... but then again I'm not her either.  I'll have to take a look at that thread!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Katie77

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 12:42:06 pm »
Lynne, I was quoting from a thread which is in the same forum as this one, I met Annie Proulx tonight 9/12/06

Maybe you can ask more about it there......

Didn't even get that right....that thread is actually in the Chez Tremblay forum  and called "We met Annie Proulx tonight 9/12/06"

Wouldnt even try to work out how to post the link, I think I've done enough messing up here tonight as it is.....

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 01:38:56 pm »
Here's the direct link to the thread initiated by meryl on Chez Tremblay:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4387.0

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 01:47:29 pm »
My first introduction to Proulx was in April 1996, my sisiter was reading it while we travelled on a trail in Ireland, she would just bust out laughing from time to time. She lent me the book when we returned and I thourghly enjoyed it.

Later on, maybe 1998, I was in a bookstore and saw Close range and picted it up, remmeber looking at the picture of her and thinking "wow, this is about Wyoming, I thought she lived in Newfoundland". I had Brokeback Mountain in my hand and did not know it existed until the movie came out. When I heard on NPR it was based on a story by Annie Proulx I said: "WTF!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Katie77

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 02:05:12 pm »
Shakes....that is amazing...that you crossed paths with Brokeback Mountain, long before all the hoo haa about it....I bet you remember that moment now, and wonder how you would have felt back then if you had read it.....

I have this picture of you back then, looking at the book, and shrugging your shoulders and putting it back on the shelf.....its a wonder a little voice didnt call out to you from the pages....."read me, read me".....guess it didnt.....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 09:28:39 pm »
Yeah, that little voice was saying: "You need to read more" That was about the time the internet came into my life and that took up a lot of my attention span.

My mind had a mental image of Annie Proulx that was firmly ensconced in New Foundland and I was too narrow to make the leap to Wyoming, is the long and short of it.

I have often wondered if I had read it back then. I think the language would have overwelmed me. My regret is that I was so out of tune with the gay world at the time I think I would have if I'd heard a buzz about it.

And I miss stuff like that every day, is the sad part. We all do. I am finishing up Heart Songs now, and that will be all the published material on her I have been able to find. I have read all her books now, in about 10 months. Like we used to say back in the 70's: "Its outta site!"
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 11:56:10 am »

I am really peeved by that, because I think she is probably only as popular as she is today because of Brokeback, and the publicity that came with the movie, and I think she should be still prepared to talk about it, especially to Brokies who go to her appearances.....

On one level, I can understand that as she might feel that this one work is going to overshadow her other stories - as it almost certainly will.

But on another, it puts me in mind of popular musicians who, in concert, are hellbent on playing their newest stuff at the expense of the pieces that a high percentage of the audience came to see. They always seem to think that this will work, and it never does.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 10:34:54 am »
I hadn't heard of Annie Proulx before Brokeback, but after reading Brokeback, I've read a number of her books.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:32 pm »
Another reason I am a fan of Annie Proulx is because she worked as a journalist early in her career, and started writing fiction after the age of 50, so she was a "late bloomer" which gives me hope that I might be able to write passable fiction at one point too.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 01:55:40 pm »
Off topic, but funny.

I read the title here (too quickly) as "who's afraid of Annie Proulx"?

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 01:58:01 pm »
Understandable, since Virginia Woolf was an author in the same league as Annie Proulx.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 02:42:51 pm »

I read the title here (too quickly) as "who's afraid of Annie Proulx"?

well, tell you what, I wouldn´t wanna mess with Annie.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:56 pm »
well, tell you what, I wouldn´t wanna mess with Annie.

Me, neither!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »
   I admire her masterpiece, Brokeback Mountain.  The rest of her stuff is too depressing for me, and I dont think
it had the same kind of impact, or relativity of BBM.
   As a person, I fine her highly egotistical and very self obsorbed.  She has too little common feeling.  I feel that a
great deal of her stuff is written for shock value, and to give the ability for her to look down her nose at others.  If
they say anything that she disagrees with, she has a hissy fit.
   I particularly felt ill at her for her statement that she would like for that plane to crash, and then the final straw....
"I wish I had never written Brokeback Mountain." 

Beautiful mind

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:11 pm »
I can understand your point of view, particularly if you are reading these small "soundbites" and making a judgment of Annie Proulx by them. But, how would you feel if a pilot who is probably a right wing extremist radical was constantly flying round and round your house at a low altitude, snooping and perhaps taking pictures? This was what was happening to AP. (She was eventually forced to give up living in Wyoming and is currently living near Albuquerque.) And it's clear from her in-person statements that AP was proud of the story and its message, and only became disenchanted after the story was twisted by extremist groups and made into a political argument. As well, she was forced to hire legal help to go after those who cavalierly stole her intellectual property, exploiting all her work and research merely to portray Ennis and Jack as something silly like astronauts or prison inmates. Or even to slander the character of Ennis by portraying him as a sadistic drunk! Yes, like her characters, AP is sometimes rash and emotional in her outbursts. But she is an artist. She is not concerned with keeping her fan base (the very term is anathema to her) happy.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 08:05:35 pm »
I can understand your point of view, particularly if you are reading these small "soundbites" and making a judgment of Annie Proulx by them. But, how would you feel if a pilot who is probably a right wing extremist radical was constantly flying round and round your house at a low altitude, snooping and perhaps taking pictures? This was what was happening to AP. (She was eventually forced to give up living in Wyoming and is currently living near Albuquerque.) And it's clear from her in-person statements that AP was proud of the story and its message, and only became disenchanted after the story was twisted by extremist groups and made into a political argument. As well, she was forced to hire legal help to go after those who cavalierly stole her intellectual property, exploiting all her work and research merely to portray Ennis and Jack as something silly like astronauts or prison inmates. Or even to slander the character of Ennis by portraying him as a sadistic drunk! Yes, like her characters, AP is sometimes rash and emotional in her outbursts. But she is an artist. She is not concerned with keeping her fan base (the very term is anathema to her) happy.
I´m not gonna get into the whole fan fic discussion again, but as soon as a story finds its way to readers, they will interpret the story in their own way. A writer has no power over that.
If people then chose to put those interpretations into words on paper, I don´t think it´s anything silly or wrong about it. It´s people trying to express themselves. I doubt that their intent is to "slander" anyone, but rather to share their feelings with others. On the contrary, I find it quite admirable.

But let be...let be.

Regarding Annie Proulx, I admire her for her writing, and also that she doesn´t seem too concerned about pleasing her readers. I think that´s part of what makes her such an original writer.
I prefer her short stories to her novels. I think her very economical style fits that format better. I´m reading "Heart songs" at the moment and am enjoying it very much.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 10:02:52 pm »
But, how would you feel if a pilot who is probably a right wing extremist radical was constantly flying round and round your house at a low altitude, snooping and perhaps taking pictures? This was what was happening to AP.

:o  I'd never heard about that. That must have been awful. I wouldn't have blamed her if she'd taken a shot at him.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:36 pm »
If you listen to the BBC radio interview with AP, the airplane appears about one-third of the way through it.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 11:46:58 am »
I've rad the "Shipping News" and all of "Close Range" and I am not a fan of Ms. Proulx's, Brokeback Mountain aside.

I can see she's a good author, and imaginative, and steeped in the non-glamorous tough culture of gritty everyday country life and ditto realism. But she writes in an author voice and manner that I dislike - she conjures up the most terrible situations and fates for her characters, and the most horrific personalities, and looks at it all in a cool, superior and detached manner. No compassion, no involvement. (I think Brokeback is the one notable exception to this rule, and that is what makes it so emotionally devastating while all the other stories are merely creepy and unpleasant). Also I can't say I jive with her sense of humour. I think "55 miles to the gas pump" is probably supposed to be funny, but it creeped me out and had me feeling discomfort and unease for days. Ugh.

Ms. Proulx evidently is a really grumpy lady in RL as well, but that is her prerogative and none of my business. Some statements she's made concerning both Brokeback and its fans really don't help endear her as a person to me  - quite the opposite. The one saving grace was (and is) her staunch and outspoken admiration of and support for Heath Ledger's interpretation of Ennis. There she and I are of one mind - but *her* opinion actually counts!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »
I have to admit I rather enjoy her cranky, ascerbic narrative "voice" in the short stories, even if it does make me think of a Granny Clampett-type sitting in her rocking chair and telling stories.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 01:53:38 pm »
I've rad the "Shipping News" and all of "Close Range" and I am not a fan of Ms. Proulx's, Brokeback Mountain aside.

I can see she's a good author, and imaginative, and steeped in the non-glamorous tough culture of gritty everyday country life and ditto realism. But she writes in an author voice and manner that I dislike - she conjures up the most terrible situations and fates for her characters, and the most horrific personalities, and looks at it all in a cool, superior and detached manner. No compassion, no involvement. (I think Brokeback is the one notable exception to this rule, and that is what makes it so emotionally devastating while all the other stories are merely creepy and unpleasant). Also I can't say I jive with her sense of humour. I think "55 miles to the gas pump" is probably supposed to be funny, but it creeped me out and had me feeling discomfort and unease for days. Ugh.

Ms. Proulx evidently is a really grumpy lady in RL as well, but that is her prerogative and none of my business. Some statements she's made concerning both Brokeback and its fans really don't help endear her as a person to me  - quite the opposite. The one saving grace was (and is) her staunch and outspoken admiration of and support for Heath Ledger's interpretation of Ennis. There she and I are of one mind - but *her* opinion actually counts!

Heya Mikaela.  I agree with pretty much everything you say here.  In this poll I voted yes for "Are you a fan of Annie Proulx only because she wrote Brokeback Mountain?" And really, what I mean here is that I'm a fan of the story Brokeback Mountain, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Proulx. I read the Shipping News ages ago, and I recall kind of liking it, but I hardly remember anything about it at this point.  I've not been able to get through most of her other stories.  I've tried many times, but they simply aren't my cup of tea.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie